Rob Callister

La Colombe

10 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

So from my point of view Callister was helpful as an MHK and will get my vote in September as he served the purpose of an MHK. It could be worse. He could be Quayle or Ashford. 

He has served one of the purposes of an MHK - and one of the less important ones.  But MHKs are more than parish councillors and if that's all people think they should do then they should be paid the same as parish councillors - nothing.  Unfortunately there have been far too many MHKs in the past who have held the same opinion about what their role should be - though not about the salary.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

FWIW I've found Callister helpful, approachable and communicable. Edge not so much. 

So from my point of view Callister was helpful as an MHK and will get my vote in September as he served the purpose of an MHK. It could be worse. He could be Quayle or Ashford. 

Not sure when or what you contacted me about Alan Shimmin can you enlighten me with what it was? 

12 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

FWIW I've found Callister helpful, approachable and communicable. Edge not so much. 

He royally screwed up the other month when doing his actual job of moving amendments in the Keys so much so they had to pull the Bill from that sitting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

He has served one of the purposes of an MHK - and one of the less important ones.  But MHKs are more than parish councillors and if that's all people think they should do then they should be paid the same as parish councillors - nothing.  Unfortunately there have been far too many MHKs in the past who have held the same opinion about what their role should be - though not about the salary.

I heard a story years ago attributed to Big Al which has a ring of truth and shows that more thought needs to be put into what an MHK (or minister) is actually there for.  In 2002, Big Al went to Washington to sign a tax agreement with Treasury Secretary O'Neill.  Absolutely ground-breaking stuff.  He got home and his answerphone was full of messages from Granny Clague complaining that her bin hadn't been emptied.
If I remember correctly there was talk at one time about introducing a system of 'senators' for island-wide issues and members who would focus on constituency stuff.  Is that worth thinking about again, coupled with abolition of the legislative council?
In any case, there is always tension between the different parts of an MHK's role.  Most members can't manage the tension because they are useless at all the parts (e.g. RC)!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Julie Edge (Onchan) said:

I have just searched all my emails and nothing from Alan Shimmin, can you advise what the email address was please or send again to confirm details?  I can then do a thorough check as I do have concerns that sometimes emails do not get through.  Did you use the right email address julie.edge@gov.I’m

I'm not convinced that is really your email address......

My guess is you have been awfully quiet on the email front over the past few years if you have been using that!

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Is that worth thinking about again, coupled with abolition of the legislative council?

No, dealing with Granny Clague keeps them grounded. Look at the state of the UK as example as to what happens when you create a political class where politicians become remote from their constituents.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 1:54 PM, Boo Gay'n said:

I heard a story years ago attributed to Big Al which has a ring of truth and shows that more thought needs to be put into what an MHK (or minister) is actually there for.  In 2002, Big Al went to Washington to sign a tax agreement with Treasury Secretary O'Neill.  Absolutely ground-breaking stuff.  He got home and his answerphone was full of messages from Granny Clague complaining that her bin hadn't been emptied.
If I remember correctly there was talk at one time about introducing a system of 'senators' for island-wide issues and members who would focus on constituency stuff.  Is that worth thinking about again, coupled with abolition of the legislative council?
In any case, there is always tension between the different parts of an MHK's role.  Most members can't manage the tension because they are useless at all the parts (e.g. RC)!

This is OK as long as local authorities go in the process. Problem is that local problems are often intertwined with the likes of the DOI so need some sort of higher intervention.

Ultimately what this proposal entails is wholesale reform, so probably best quietly forgotten about.

• 2 months later...

The People’s Prince and appointed Government Children’s Champion seems to have disappeared into must get elected for a second term mode. 

@Rob Callister why have you given no support for subsidised School Dinner support during the Summer holidays for under privileged families ?

Why have you disappeared for the last 18 months 

Fulfil your appointed obligations - which is a minimum expectation of an elected official - to not is to fail which is your only consistent trait.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

The People’s Prince and appointed Government Children’s Champion seems to have disappeared into must get elected for a second term mode. 

@Rob Callister why have you given no support for subsidised School Dinner support during the Summer holidays for under privileged families ?

Why have you disappeared for the last 18 months 

Fulfil your appointed obligations - which is a minimum expectation of an elected official - to not is to fail which is your only consistent trait.

Cant argue with that tbh 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Cant argue with that tbh 

not just as Children's champion has he failed , but in every other area of responsibility he seems to be asleep at the wheel , got rid of 100 years plus of TT history with the scoreboard , the silent member in DOI not a peep about the promenade or the costly disaster that  the Buses and heritage railways have become   , looks like the Blog has run out of steam ,  I hope the people of Onchan realise  how poorly they have been represented !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1