Rob Callister

La Colombe

32 minutes ago, Apple said:

I took that post as defending someone. If Mr Callister is offended, or indeed any politician, they can refute any criticisms or allegations themselves as they have the means. Some people do not. 

If the abuse is considered gratuitous then actions can be taken by others if the issue is raised with them.

This ... When the issues about Children champion etc I commented that I was sure that RC was keeping a eye on this topic . And sure enough almost immediately came on to offer what was a lame statement. Interestingly he's not been back after critiscism of his defence of the allegations that it was his responsibility at least in part. 

19 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Good on you for seeking public office and doing what you think is best for the electorate, you will never get it right in everybody’s eyes, but such comments are totally out of order. 

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It was a post attacking those making these abusive comments. 

I think not. @quilp is quite right. Useful advice.

@VOICE OF REASON 

19 minutes ago, Apple said:

Good on you for seeking public office and doing what you think is best for the electorate, you will never get it right in everybody’s eyes, but such comments are totally out of order. 

Just so we know that's probably right then. I won't tell anyone.

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

This ... When the issues about Children champion etc I commented that I was sure that RC was keeping a eye on this topic . And sure enough almost immediately came on to offer what was a lame statement. Interestingly he's not been back after critiscism of his defence of the allegations that it was his responsibility at least in part. 

Rob’s comeback was shocking at worst / juvenile at best.

For the Children’s Champion to essentially say “they are the wrong type of under privileged children so not my responsibility” says everything you could possibly need to know about him - typical blame shifting establishment spineless yes man.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Rob’s comeback was shocking at worst / juvenile at best.

For the Children’s Champion to essentially say “they are the wrong type of under privileged children so not my responsibility” says everything you could possibly need to know about him - typical blame shifting establishment spineless yes man.

sounds like he'll go far then,  not far enough for some though.  

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, Rob Callister said:
As a member of the House of Keys I am very concerned to hear of additional demand potentially being put on the food bank over the summer holidays. 

Although I am the Children’s Champion, this is outside that role, which is focused on children in care or where the government is the corporate parent. That is one of the reasons why I will be asking the next Chief Minister in October to appoint a Children’s Commissioner, which would be focussed on listening and giving all children on the Isle of Man a voice. 

In respect of the food bank, I really think we need to get some core data from Neal Mellon, in order to truly identify why people are approaching the food bank at certain parts of the year. 

Any individual constituent that contacts me directly I can try to help directly, but if there is a wider issue then we do need to understand the reason. 

But rather than create yet another pseudo-civil service role on £70K or whatever with all the associated costs, why not just ask for the role of Children's Champion to be expanded?  That would be simpler, quicker and cheaper.  There seems to a belief that we should replicate every role that the UK sets up, but it simply isn't necessary in such a small place.  Though some might argue that, if in such a small and connected society, the politicians and civil servants are so remote from everyday concerns of a group of the population, then greater changes are needed than appointing yet another office-holder.

The Foodbank did of course supply evidence to the Select Committee on Poverty, whose recent Report I assume you have read.

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Aren't vulnerable children within the remit?

https://www.gov.im/media/1361845/isle-of-man-childrens-champion-terms-of-reference-2018-v3.pdf

I think Mr Callister has no understanding of the role, as he hasn't bothered to write a annual report in the last two years, Let alone understand the different types of vulnerability.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:37 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

Rob I don’t know you but I have read this from germann  and the “contribution” from buncha wankas.

These two posts show explicitly the downside of social media. Rude, aggressive and totally unacceptable.

Quite frankly I am shocked that people see fit to post this sort of abuse online.

But you feel it acceptable for the children’s champion to omit championing vulnerable children

that alone is abuse. 

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 8:53 AM, Rob Callister said:

Although I am the Children’s Champion, this is outside that role, which is focused on children in care or where the government is the corporate parent. That is one of the reasons why I will be asking the next Chief Minister in October to appoint a Children’s Commissioner, which would be focussed on listening and giving all children on the Isle of Man a voice.

As other posters have said, it is amazing that you do not appear to know the remit of the role that you have.  See below, with my underlining.

1.1. To listen to and represent the best interests of vulnerable and looked after children in the Isle of Man.

If you did this well, it would probably be of more importance and value to the Isle of Man than your being a MHK.  You obviously don't take it seriously, and so can't be doing it well - which destroys any value.

• Like 2