Rob Callister

La Colombe

21 hours ago, Dr. Grumpy said:

He fell in my estimation when he (allegedly) turned his back on some very serious culture issues in the DHSC and backed the then CEO instead of the then minister who was taking action to change the toxic culture prevailing in the DHSC and Noble's at the time.

Who knows how things could have turned out if he had supported his minister instead of the CEO?

For starters, we may not have been sold a pup by Sir Jonathan methinks...

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 11:04 PM, Anyone said:

Thing about Rob is he likes bandwagons and he likes to grandstand. Working behind the scenes to good effect is not his style. But he’s not the first MHK to be like that and I doubt he’ll be the last.

Talking about Grandstands, Scoreboards and Bandwagons, I heard from someone well connected in the Motorcycle sports field in the island that plans have been drawn (by ex Minister Skelly before he was elected El Presidente) up for a new TT Grandstand. I wonder if RC could shed light on a topic of National Importance. Furthermore will he shed any further light on the new TT scoreboard, which I’ve heard there are issues with, apparently due to funding. I’m sure there will be lots of bandwagons for RC to jump upon, most of them parochial and vote grabbing. Matters which really affected the island are generally ignored and left to be screwed up. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2112 said:

Talking about Grandstands, Scoreboards and Bandwagons, I heard from someone well connected in the Motorcycle sports field in the island that plans have been drawn (by ex Minister Skelly before he was elected El Presidente) up for a new TT Grandstand. I wonder if RC could shed light on a topic of National Importance. Furthermore will he shed any further light on the new TT scoreboard, which I’ve heard there are issues with, apparently due to funding. I’m sure there will be lots of bandwagons for RC to jump upon, most of them parochial and vote grabbing. Matters which really affected the island are generally ignored and left to be screwed up. 

Skelly I'm sure has been pushing the New grandstand and hospitality center for a number of years . Seem to remember it being in the news also maybe as long as 5 years ago . A ego driven conception ! .

11 hours ago, 2112 said:

A new grandstand? First I've heard of that, how far did the drawings get before Skelly got bumped onto his fancy dress job? 

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Skelly I'm sure has been pushing the New grandstand and hospitality center for a number of years . Seem to remember it being in the news also maybe as long as 5 years ago . A ego driven conception ! .

Exactly - the kind of vanity projects which IOMG and the civil servants love. Project started off by Skelly, with no doubt involvement of Rob Callister, and like other vanity projects will end up overbudget, and very likely being farmed out to contractor friends of IOMG. I can’t see the new scoreboard coming on stream for next year either - perhaps another opportunity for the PAC to investigate when things go belly up.

The current Grandstand is probably outdated, tired and in need of modernisation, but in the economic climate, we should make do and do a low cost renovation during the autumn and winter.

Unfortunately with our politicos and civil servants ‘low cost’ doesn’t enter into their vocabulary. If it’s tax payers money it’s their to be spent how they want.

The existing Grandstand is only 35 years old. Its predecessor lasted considerably longer than that, surely from days that saw considerably more fans and visitors attending than do nowadays?

The only thing that has changed that renders it "unsuitable" now is the hospitality aspirations.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The existing Grandstand is only 35 years old. Its predecessor lasted considerably longer than that, surely from days that saw considerably more fans and visitors attending than do nowadays?

The only thing that has changed that renders it "unsuitable" now is the hospitality aspirations.

There were hospitality aspirations then. It was partly sold as there going to be a cafe in the big room at ground floor level and a restaurant in the tower ( outside racing periods )

I wonder how many trili millions have been allocated to build a new Grandstand? Judging by every other capital project it will be handed to a mate of Government and will be over budget. It’s going to be hilarious when the new TT scoreboard is finally erected ……………. that’s if it’s actually done for next year? Both in terms of looks and costs. It seems as though every wannabe MHK has a wish list, and if they are elected, they start building an ever bulging wishlists, both for their constituentcy and their department respsonsibilies.