Rob Callister

La Colombe

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I’m awfully interested to know…

Are you delighted that your colleague Ms Julie Edge has been given a Ministerial position in education and are you dreadfully disappointed that you haven’t? 

It’s sad and really quite pathetic RC over the top dramatics. I really disagree and I am not over keen on Onchans First Lady, but even though she was in charge of the Post Office, she’s done a better job than some others. She also didn’t blog her way, and she obviously didn’t rub AC up the wrong way. RC and the TT scoreboard, which failed to get Treasury funding, certainly wouldn’t have endeared himself to AC either.

He should have taken the PO, tried to do a good job, show he can control budgets, and at the same times understands the GMP. At present it’s all about Rob Callister, Rob Callister and Rob Callister. The chances are at least one of the new COMIN members are not going to last 18 months. My moneys on Laurie Hooper getting binned. If he had played ball, he may have been a member of the club. What could have been ……….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

The decriminalization bit is going to bite him in the bum. I don't think the good doctor understands the Isle of Man too well. He is being seen more and more as a bit of a privileged lefty liberal and I don't see that sits well in the Isle of Man.

And yet five years ago, some people would (and did) say exactly the same things about Allinson's stand on abortion.  But consultation proved support was in the high 80s and the Bill became law pretty easily.

• Like 4

How many votes did he lose at the election compared to 2016?

As mentioned below, the Abortion Bill simply brought IoM into line with other jurisdictions. Cannabis is a whole new ball game. 

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

You seem to make a lot of statements on behalf of the people of the Isle of Man which are speculative to day the least. Almost everyone I speak to is supportive of medicinal cannabis and decriminalization and can see the income generating potential of licensed cultivation. Most of them are Manx as well so I’m not sure where you’re coming from on the above to be honest. 

Lots? I'm making a statement here about cannabis.

Medicinal fair enough but decriminalization will not be popular unless a person is a bit of a pot head and has some pot head friends. I know there are lots and lots of them now on the Isle of Man and the number is growing and growing. But just now, if you step out side of your demographic you might get a bit of a shock. From my long perspective, and I would like to thing wide too, the Isle of Man is still very conservative with lessening but significant flavour of Methodism.

We'll see if Allinson has an appetite to push for decriminalization. He may be riding high on the Abortion Bill, which brought IoM in line with UK and others, but the aul' weed is another matter.

• Like 1

Sadly it would seem Rob has illusions of grandeur which really isnt justified as all he's achieved is topping the poll in Onchan. He hasnt coverered himself in glory in the couple of B team posts he's had so why he thinks he's worth a big promotion into the 'big league' only he knows. Humility is a big quality !. In my view he should have taken the Post office gig and made his mark professionally and credibly. Sadly the preferred choice of Rob seems to have been DOI or DfE and indeed he was part of those departments in minor roles. Sorry Rob you clearly are not up to the Role in DOI and though you say its a great Dept with some great officers shows you have little idea of whats going on. That Dept fail at every task and its those 'great' officers that are responsible for those fails. Its very badly run and overseen and it needs drastic overhaul including lots of those so called great officers shown the door. Nick Black being the first out the door. Everyone can see this apart it would seem  Rob. As for DfE I'm sorry he hasnt got the inteligence and fortitude to deal with another dept with a big responsibilty but its also has lost its way and seemingly misspending and a out of control dept especially around the TT races and sundry motorsport . Again I'm positive Rob hasn't the qualities needed to guide the organisation to a safe and effective outcome. Sorry but as said at the start , Rob you should have taken the PO job without doubt ! . 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

I'm positive Rob hasn't the qualities needed to guide the organisation to a safe and effective outcome. Sorry but as said at the start , Rob you should have taken the PO job without doubt ! . 

No doubt he has whatever qualities would be necessary, but he is also his own worst enemy. (source: see the blog)

36 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

That’s a false statement - I’d say anecdotally far more local people support decriminalized than not and if they launch a consultation on the issue that will be made crystal clear. Same as the Abortion Bill you’ll get the same Methodists, cranks and zealots coming out vocally against but in reality the same hardcore of sensible people just supporting it anyway as throwing people in prison and ruining their lives for 50p of weed is frankly insane. 

There are places here for this argument, but anyway, I see where you are coming from. And I'd say anecdotally fewer local people would support decriminalization, or rather, more people would support the status quo. 

Cannabis is illegal. Against the law. Possesion is a criminal act. Simple facts. And as such, the 'little bit pregnant' maxim applies. So having a "wee wrap for a personal spliff" is still criminal.

Allinson and a majority of Tynwald are going to have to work some to get that overturned, especially as it would be going against the grain of Westminster. Would they put their career and reputation on the line for it? I very much doubt it.  

• Like 2