Rob Callister

La Colombe

Well we only get half a story ,if that , but I took it that the support wasn’t just voting for him but perhaps doing a bit of canvassing, I don’t know, pure guess work.  Anyway we are where we are and will have to wait and see how things go.   Good luck to them all I have a feeling they will need it.

• Like 1

They had the choice of two people…no …….anyone could have stood for Chief Minister providing they had the backing of a few members you make it sound as if they had no choice and no one else had been allowed to stand it just happened that way.   Previously , it was a complete circus votinggoing on for days etc.   If I am correct , and please correct me if don’t remember the form but last time there were only two people involved Howard and Beecroft and I don’t remember anyone spoiling their papers.   This behaviour  this time was disgusting and a great many people have expressed the same view to me.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Will Halsall said:

Manx Radio on Saturday - it’s still on the website.

"Over the next five years of this administration rebalancing the economy, recovering the economy, and also diversifying it are going to be absolutely key to ensuring that we actually have the income to be able to deliver on the other things that we want to as an administration"

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/manxradionews/1020084-1.mp3

Wonder what it is they want to deliver

1020084-1.jpg

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

They had the choice of two people…no …….anyone could have stood for Chief Minister providing they had the backing of a few members you make it sound as if they had no choice and no one else had been allowed to stand it just happened that way.   Previously , it was a complete circus votinggoing on for days etc.   If I am correct , and please correct me if don’t remember the form but last time there were only two people involved Howard and Beecroft and I don’t remember anyone spoiling their papers.   

There were three people standing in 2016: Quayle, Cannan and Beecroft.  In the House of Keys vote it went 12/9/3, so no one spoiled[1], but they had a choice of three.

In 2011 it was Bell 27 and Karran 3 with 2 spoilt papers, but it was a secret ballot, so we don't know who they were (Beecroft proposed that the ballot be public and got the support of the Keys but not LegCo).  So there was only one round of voting.

In 2006 (again secret) on 5 December [A majority of those present and voting is required]:

Round 1: Mr Cannan received 8 votes; Mr Rodan received 9 votes; and Mr Shimmin received 8 votes.  6 spoiled.  [Vote again as tie for bottom place]

Round 2: Mr Cannan received 7 votes; Mr Rodan received 9 votes; and Mr Shimmin received 10 votes. There were 5 spoiled papers. [Cannan eliminated - they would have drawn lots if another tie]

Round 3: Mr Rodan received 9 votes; Mr Shimmin received 11 votes. There were 11 spoiled papers,

Round 4: Mr Rodan received 8 votes; Mr Shimmin received 12 votes. There were 11 spoiled papers.

As nobody got the required 16, they met again the next week (technically it should been longer, but they didn't want to spoilt their Xmas hols with work).

They met on 14 December when a secret deal had clearly been done, as none of the previous three stood and Tony Brown (who had stepped down as Speaker earlier in the week) was the only candidate.  There was still a vote of confirmation, which he won 27-2.  

(Anyone who wants to see the way the Manx Establishment works should look at the statement by the AG at the end of the session).

[1]  I suspect that Thomas and Wannenburgh left their ballots blank rather than spoiled them in a more creative way.  Of course they weren't allowed to abstain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

"Over the next five years of this administration rebalancing the economy, recovering the economy, and also diversifying it are going to be absolutely key to ensuring that we actually have the income to be able to deliver on the other things that we want to as an administration"

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/manxradionews/1020084-1.mp3

Wonder what it is they want to deliver

1020084-1.jpg

Probably want more taxes for pensions black hole

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

They had the choice of two people…no …….anyone could have stood for Chief Minister providing they had the backing of a few members you make it sound as if they had no choice and no one else had been allowed to stand it just happened that way.   Previously , it was a complete circus votinggoing on for days etc.   If I am correct , and please correct me if don’t remember the form but last time there were only two people involved Howard and Beecroft and I don’t remember anyone spoiling their papers.   This behaviour  this time was disgusting and a great many people have expressed the same view to me.

You should get out of Onchan more.  It wasn't 'disgusting', he didn't pick his nose and flick it - he exercised his right to show he did not back either candidate. 

• Like 2

I am not angry, stopped being angry about politics years ago and I was wrong about the last lot but still do not see the difference between choosing one out of two or one out of three they all got to that position democratically. Thomas could have stood himself if he had wanted to and received backing which I am sure he could have got but didn’t so really cannot object to there only being two.  Anyway it is done now but I still this pair are tossers.

All these two were doing was hedging their bets, they didn’t want to plump for one and then find out they were on the losing side when it came to positions allocated although in this case Alf has put a couple in his team that did not vote for him but they did not know that would happen.

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

All these two were doing was hedging their bets, they didn’t want to plump for one and then find out they were on the losing side when it came to positions allocated although in this case Alf has put a couple in his team that did not vote for him but they did not know that would happen.

So you are privy to their reasons, or are you making an assumption?

2 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

Wonder what it is they want to deliver?

1020084-1.jpg

An inordinately expensive ferry terminal, an inordinately long-winded Promenade, an endlessly growing Govt headcount and an unsustainably huge Pension Scheme?

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

image.png.7f1f722d8e8f98f4b658d91f62cb2ef8.png

I suspect that it is not the Green New Deal and the higher ambition pathway to net zero, an end to poverty and them 'parasitic inequalities', affordable housing for all, living pensions, free school meals, free bus travel during rush hour, free internet on the Steam Packet, NHS dentistry, and better public service broadcasting with online visual media - especially in Tynwald

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 2