Rob Callister

La Colombe

On 10/17/2021 at 10:51 AM, Rob Callister said:

No, I didn’t speak to Manx Radio…..

I guess they got the story from Manx Forums or Facebook. 

I was asked a simple question, which I was happy to answer 

So are you saying you never spoke to Manx radio on this topic this week.  Or did you and you are lying? 

Cannon was in a fluid situation. The appointments would depend on other people accepting roles further up the food chain. For example, he'd want to run a department member appointment past the minister for that department, maybe someone else was first choice for the Post Office or Cannon wanted to see if Edge accepted the ministerial role and if she didn't he would leave her in the Post Office or if Allinson and Hooper turned down ministerial roles maybe he would have had to look to Rob. Roles wouldn't all be handed out at once. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s just piqued my interest this as it’s the first time I’ve seen such public inconsistencies by any person in government claiming they have been mis treated. To me I can’t see why you would be offered a job after you’ve already allegedly accepted another one anyway as claimed. It simply makes no sense. It suggests two alternatives were given at a meeting on Thursday night of which he accepted one - so one role was clearly turned down. 

The Minister roles will all have been negotiated prior to any announcement being made, then the Boards and finally the new Ministers will get to choose who they can work with. The CM is unlikely to care one jot who is or isn't in a department at this stage. Perhaps later, tactically to shut them down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

It just gets stranger now IOM News and Politics have picked it up - but the answer provided is just weird. Why would you turn down a job as you’d already been offered another one? It makes no sense as you never get offered something after you’ve already accepted something else. It suggests he’s was offered the option of two jobs and turned one down (so he clearly turned it down), and that seems to be only immediately after he was told in the evening (at a meeting he didn’t understand the purpose of!) that he wasn’t getting a Minister post according to his own account. So from what he’s said are we to assume that on the evening that he found out he wasn’t being a minister he was offered two alternative options? One of which was turned down? 

519212C1-3782-4137-AD80-DD7CC1027653.jpeg

It certainly does get stranger. I assume it’s inadvertent on his part, but I can’t help but think he’s in essence advocating cronyism here: pick the people that are on your side rather than the best squad. It’s bizarre 

• Like 1