Rob Callister

La Colombe

20 minutes ago, Boards of Canada said:

It certainly does get stranger. I assume it’s inadvertent on his part, but I can’t help but think he’s in essence advocating cronyism here: pick the people that are on your side rather than the best squad. It’s bizarre 

Or by including Hooper and Edge, silence two of the most vocal critics of the last Government.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Or by including Hooper and Edge, silence two of the most vocal critics of the last Government.

Like I said, the “best squad” — we may have a different metric for measuring that compared to the CM. 😂

Either way, did Callister eclipse Hooper in terms of performance in the last admin? I certainly don’t think so. Edge? Much for much really so why not keep an enemy close and (what appeared until recently) a sycophant cheering from the sides. 

I think with this post he’s revealed why he really voted for Alf, and all the “I listened to the people” before making a decision doesn’t seem to hold water anymore.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s just piqued my interest this as it’s the first time I’ve seen such public inconsistencies by any person in government claiming they have been mis treated. To me I can’t see why you would be offered a job after you’ve already allegedly accepted another one anyway as claimed. It simply makes no sense. It suggests two alternatives were given at a meeting on Thursday night of which he accepted one - so one role was clearly turned down. 

Rob does actually state: ‘I don’t believe the CM treated all MHK’s fairly…………’, and follows with: ‘my comment above does not relate to me personally but to a couple of my colleagues……….’. He doesn’t state that he personally was mistreated.

I agree with what Declan said in his two posts above, particularly the ‘over thinking’ comment. I share Roxanne’s wish too, Social Media (particularly IOMN&P) is not the ideal platform to discuss this.

If I was fecked off, Moulton, MR, Butt and Gef would be the obvious mainstream media outlets that I would use to vent my observations via an interview, not Corrin and Co. Using Social Media takes up so much time in answering messages, and trying to constantly correct people who misinterpret (sometimes ignorantly and often mischievously to make themselves look clever) your explanation. Hell, we see it on MF on a daily basis, I have probably been guilty of it myself.

What I find sociologically amusing is the strategic ‘dipping in and out’ of MF by MHK’s, and ex-CE’s etc., using the odd one line to correct a single point, but they don’t return to answer more pertinent questions - Chris Thomas is an example of this, and we know a few MHK’s past and present follow MF frequently to gauge opinion. However, in fairness for the reasons just stated, I can appreciate that these MHK’s can end up getting bogged down replying to agitators, and probably avoid contentious questions to prevent them looking like a twat!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Boards of Canada said:

..... I can’t help but think he’s in essence advocating cronyism here: pick the people that are on your side rather than the best squad. It’s bizarre 

He didn't waste his last term after all then. He's worked out how IoM Gov generally works. 😂

• Like 1

What confuses me about Callister's response here is that he's claiming that he turned down the Post Office because he had already accepted another role.  But presumably Cannan would have been aware of this, given that he would have been the person who offered that as well.  So he must have thought he could do both.

And lets face it - this is Rob Callister.  This is the man who was a Departmental Member of three different Departments at once.  Plus Children's Champion, MNH Trustee, loads of other stuff.   There's no committee he doesn't want to sit on; no meeting he doesn't want to nod his way through.  His blog proved that is nothing else.  Why the sudden shyness about multiple roles.

Still, maybe I've got this wrong and it's not a role in government at all.  Maybe he's the new James Bond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Still, maybe I've got this wrong and it's not a role in government at all.  Maybe he's the new James Bond.

Stonewall have demanded EON Productions cast the next Bond with a LGBT culturally diverse disabled character, so that rules Rob out! 

3 hours ago, Boards of Canada said:

It certainly does get stranger. I assume it’s inadvertent on his part, but I can’t help but think he’s in essence advocating cronyism here: pick the people that are on your side rather than the best squad. It’s bizarre 

let the squad games commence 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 747-400 said:

Edge was very much team Cannan. Why do you think she got what she wanted and Callister was offered her old job? Perhaps it was a pisstake which Callister was all to aware of hence his hissy fit.

• Haha 2