Rob Callister

La Colombe

7 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Why is the comparison always between the TT and mountain climbing? It's a little weird. Why not with another adrenalin filled sport like competitive wingsuit flying?

Probably because wingsuit flying hasn’t been around as long - I suspect the number of deaths per year climbing is in the same order of magnitude as the TT - hence the argument, ban the TT -but ban rock climbing as well if you are really interested in saving lives. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Probably because wingsuit flying hasn’t been around as long - I suspect the number of deaths per year climbing is in the same order of magnitude as the TT - hence the argument, ban the TT -but ban rock climbing as well if you are really interested in saving lives. 

is this why they banned jumping into the sea ?

Just now, Steve_Christian said:

I suppose the problem with the comparison is that rock climbers when they die don't risk wiping out a load of drunk gammon perched on hedges or smashing into a families gable wall.  I am pretty sure rock climbers don't get followed round by crowds of pissed up wannabe rock climbers falling off cliffs and smashing into the back of Mrs Mingins car when she was just popping out to put flowers on her late husband's grave. 

6 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

I suppose the problem with the comparison is that rock climbers when they die don't risk wiping out a load of drunk gammon perched on hedges or smashing into a families gable wall.  I am pretty sure rock climbers don't get followed round by crowds of pissed up wannabe rock climbers falling off cliffs and smashing into the back of Mrs Mingins car when she was just popping out to put flowers on her late husband's grave. 

"....gammon..........Mrs Mingins...."

Nice.

9 hours ago, ProudManx said:

When will snowflakes UNDERSTAND that people have a choice. No one is forced to ride here, they know the dangers. The choice is theirs and their families.

In recent years mire people have been killed walking on Scafell Pike.

The T.T. is a great spectacle that people have a choice to ride in, work for or watch 

Long may it continue

8 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Why is the comparison always between the TT and mountain climbing? It's a little weird. Why not with another adrenalin filled sport like competitive wingsuit flying?

There is a similarity - They both have risks

There is a big difference - A mountain is a natural feature. No one provides it. If I built an artificial mountain and charged an entry fee to climb it and then lots of people died I would be kind of complicit in their deaths and I would have to make it safer.

The probability of dying whist climbing Scafell pike is considerably lower than that of dying competing in the TT races. Remember people climb Scafell pike 365 days a year not 5 hours per year.

• Like 1

Rob's replied to this thread on facebook. On summary, it's his duty to smooch VIPs; he doesn't always get the time to post the selfies in the moment, but people love them. Doesn't know why a race is red flagged and only learns of fatalities 15 mins before they are announced. Media report the race results during that time. He's only ever posted 4 selfies with celebs.

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

Rob's replied to this thread on facebook. On summary, it's his duty to smooch VIPs; he doesn't always get the time to post the selfies in the moment, but people love them. Doesn't know why a race is red flagged and only learns of fatalities 15 mins before they are announced. Media report the race results during that time. He's only ever posted 4 selfies with celebs.

Do we have any celebs over at the moment?  I mean real celebrated stars, familiar to and admired by millions? 

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

That is just lies though isn’t it? Is he trying to suggest that the person claiming political credit for running the TT didn’t know the red flag was a fatality when the guy literally died at the scene? Most people seem to have worked out why the racing was cancelled for the day and they weren’t taking credit for running the event they were just respectful fans. 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Do we have any celebs over at the moment?  I mean real celebrated stars, familiar to and admired by millions? 

He was talking about over his tenure as motorsport figurehead. The four celebs Rob mentioned were - Amy Williams, Ronnie Rashford, Prince William and the Red Arrows. So no only one celeb.

I suppose over TT we've had Jessie J, Raggedy-Ass-Man, Bobby Gillespie, Justin Hawkins, Fatboy Slim and Bob Geldof. Who'd meet your criteria, though Hawkins and Gillespie are only stars in their world, there's probably motorcyclists familiar and admired by millions too.

17 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

That is just lies though isn’t it? Is he trying to suggest that the person claiming political credit for running the TT didn’t know the red flag was a fatality when the guy literally died at the scene? Most people seem to have worked out why the racing was cancelled for the day and they weren’t taking credit for running the event they were just respectful fans. 

I think whether he knew of a fatality or not isn't that important. The red flag should have been a red flag! And he should pause and get the facts first. 

29 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

I was at the grandstand that afternoon and can categorically say that 60% of everyone there had worked out that it was a fatality and was just waiting for the official announcement. And in fact given the rumours that were circulating regarding the specifics of the accident I honestly cannot believe that someone who is claiming responsibility for the DfE for fronting the event wouldn’t be aware of the circumstances very early on. If it was me I certainly wouldn’t be swanning round the paddock taking selfies. I’d have been on the phone every 10 minutes demanding updates so I knew exactly what was going on as people were openly talking and speculating and rumours had already started feeding back up from Bray Hill.

Edited by Bandits