Rob Callister

La Colombe

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I was up there after yesterday's incident and before the announcement.  TBH I didn't notice a subdued air, the chatter was more about whether racing would resume. 

I’ve noticed this before. Radio commentators will be all “We’ve got good news, the race is going ahead in 15 minutes. That’s great for all the fans out on the course. And by the way, x has died”

If I was a grieving relative, I’d be more upset by the crass attitude of the organisers - “The Show must go on” - than I would anonymous Internet users speculating on cause of death. 

Edited by wrighty
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Rather highlights a lot that is wrong with IoM politics and CS that it’s micro managed to the extent of passing a media release to Callister, either for approval or advance info,  before releasing.

Well given that those stilted press releases almost invariably include at least one 'quote' from at least one politico (and often several from several), it's probably polite to let them know what they 'said' before everyone else knows it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

If I was a grieving relative, I’d be more upset by the crass attitude of the organisers - “The Show must go on” - than I would anonymous Internet users speculating on cause of death. 

The truth is that nobody really knows what the grieving relatives think. Some will be in complete shock. Some may have been waiting for this awful day with trepidation for years. You’re right though the attitude of the organizers comes across as poor and strangely this year quite corporate - “The Isle of Man TT is sorry to announce” etc. There is speculation all over social media not just here and TT fans seem very quick to shout down anyone who doesn’t toe the line with the claims of “They died doing what they loved” or “Well that’s just the risk of riding in the TT the greatest show on earth”. Some idiot on one of the TT Facebook forums yesterday even said that the father would have been comforted that they at least both died together? Really? Killing your own child and yourself at the same time by slamming into a wall at 150mph is akin to entering some sort of personal Valhalla!! It’s all so trite and tired. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

The truth is that nobody really knows what the grieving relatives think. Some will be in complete shock. Some may have been waiting for this awful day with trepidation for years. You’re right though the attitude of the organizers comes across as poor and strangely this year quite corporate - “The Isle of Man TT is sorry to announce” etc. There is speculation all over social media not just here and TT fans seem very quick to shout down anyone who doesn’t toe the line with the claims of “They died doing what they loved” or “Well that’s just the risk of riding in the TT the greatest show on earth”. Some idiot on one of the TT Facebook forums yesterday even said that the father would have been comforted that they at least both died together? Really? Killing your own child and yourself at the same time by slamming into a wall at 150mph is akin to entering some sort of personal Valhalla!! It’s all so trite and tired. 

According to these TT fans IOM Newspapers and the NPM are 'gutter press' for daring to report on yesterday's double fatality. There's some crackers out there. 

Then we have #NotAllSideCars and also someone raging at the laws of physics.

Screenshot_20220610-220628_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220611-155344_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220611-155238_Facebook.jpg

Edited by 0bserver

3 hours ago, 0bserver said:

According to these TT fans IOM Newspapers and the NPM are 'gutter press' for daring to report on yesterday's double fatality. There's some crackers out there. 

Then we have #NotAllSideCars and also someone raging at the laws of physics.

Screenshot_20220610-220628_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220611-155344_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20220611-155238_Facebook.jpg

Interesting view of Tim Dixon. The surface is like a bowling green. I just walked up there. Very eyrie. Lots of holes in tje new footpath and the garden walls are battered in many places. 

I was wondering if the surface was too smooth or something. 

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting view of Tim Dixon. The surface is like a bowling green. I just walked up there. Very eyrie. Lots of holes in tje new footpath and the garden walls are battered in many places. 

I was wondering if the surface was too smooth or something. 

Wouldn't it be the same for all sidecars?

Macabre certainly, intriguing why none of our politicians have commented on the racing toll? Are they under instructions to leave it to the 'official' response? Are they wondering about upsetting their voters? 32 individual and independant politicians and none of them have anything to say ? I find that hard to believe.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

What do you expect them to say..anything they do say will be savaged by the armchair critics on social media or forums.   They probably have many varying views on the subject and are very wisely keeping there thoughts to themselves .

Pity Rob couldn't eh!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Macabre certainly, intriguing why none of our politicians have commented on the racing toll?

They never have done as far as I can remember? The event will offer condolences via media releases and then the programme moves on, either to the next race or to the next year. It's just the way it is and always has been? Racing fans accept it as part of the culture and life, the remainder including the media hold their hands up appalled and equally quickly forget until next time.