Rob Callister

La Colombe

2 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

It’s very sad when you’re even mining sympathy from Bernie Moffatt. There is a third plausible alternative though Bernard - in that Alf Cannan simply knows the guy is a total idiot? 

Fouth plausible alternative- Mr Callsiter could have turned down the role as  Minister.                                    

• Haha 3

The only sensible bit in that was mention of the political tent; however in the wrong context. It's not a matter of who is outside. CT was asking damaging and clever questions he can  no longer ask. Keep your enemies close at al. 

Leaving Rob to concentrate on the cost of postage stamps.

CT would be wise to bear in mind the damage done to his political predecessors at DOI, Gawne, Harmer, Baker - and they'd even started making a laughing stock of Crookall and he'd only been there 9 months. Fortunately (maybe) now moved. Perhaps just less than 12 months is all a DOI Minister can be expected to do now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

CT would be wise to bear in mind the damage done to his political predecessors at DOI, Gawne, Harmer, Baker - and they'd even started making a laughing stock of Crookall and he'd only been there 9 months. Fortunately (maybe) now moved. Perhaps just less than 12 months is all a DOI Minister can be expected to do now?

CT is no fool and I’m sure he knows the score. He managed to survive in Cabinet Office as he seems to have an ability to know when not to trust people whilst at the same time giving them the impression that he trusts them. That said you're right though that the DOI has burned just about everyone. Robinson is a fool though and Curphy isn’t much better so I doubt they’ll run rings round him and if I was him I’d preemptively bin a load of them off first then call the rest of them together and tell them to play nicely otherwise they’ll be going too. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

Is that written in Manx? It is hard to work out what he is saying with all the flourishes and 'clever' linguistic devices.  He probably sat back, very smug and pleased with his carefully ceafted words, but it reads like a piece written by a twelve year old who has delusions of being a great wordsmith.

It's written in Political Commentary English, that slightly snide, 'knowing', chummy language that implies that the writer is an insider and us plebs should be grateful that they have condescended inform us of their wonderful insights.  As produced by the London commentariat in practically everything they write - including, indeed especially, those who think themselves non-Establishment, such as Guido.

And of course it bears a considerable resemblance to the the playground gossip a bunch of posh 12-year-olds who aren't quite as clever as they think they are.  It's practically the only acceptable way to discuss politics in the media, partly because these people aren't up to much more and partly because it means that such lucrative jobs are mainly reserved for the right insiders.  But mainly it's so the public are discouraged from thinking that politics is something that matters to them or affects their lives or that they should have any influence over.  At best it's just a distant game they are allowed to be a spectator of.

Why Moffatt, who would presumably claim to be neither posh nor Westminster-centric, should use such language is another matter.  I suppose it's so prevalent, people just get infected.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 2:13 PM, cissolt said:

Who runs the TT vip? It used to be Manx gas, is it still a private company?

It was Conister Bank this year, Bassy and all the lads lauding it up. We all know bassy and Phillips are in cahoots. 
anyway I’m taking my millions out of Conister now and putting it into euros. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's written in Political Commentary English, that slightly snide, 'knowing', chummy language that implies that the writer is an insider and us plebs should be grateful that they have condescended inform us of their wonderful insights.  As produced by the London commentariat in practically everything they write - including, indeed especially, those who think themselves non-Establishment, such as Guido.

And of course it bears a considerable resemblance to the the playground gossip a bunch of posh 12-year-olds who aren't quite as clever as they think they are.  It's practically the only acceptable way to discuss politics in the media, partly because these people aren't up to much more and partly because it means that such lucrative jobs are mainly reserved for the right insiders.  But mainly it's so the public are discouraged from thinking that politics is something that matters to them or affects their lives or that they should have any influence over.  At best it's just a distant game they are allowed to be a spectator of.

Why Moffatt, who would presumably claim to be neither posh nor Westminster-centric, should use such language is another matter.  I suppose it's so prevalent, people just get infected.

from Fedallah's Hearse from the wonderful propagandhi

"................Well I vote you the best equipped to shrink from speech that might suggest any thoughts your key target-market might not have already signed-off on and ratified. And I vote you most likely to clutter your language with so much deadwood that no amount of pruning will reveal your intensive, protracted, campaign of saying nothing at all........it's the (Colossal) arrogance of the subtext: the province of human affairs is a field best left to dilettantes with an extraordinary gift for the feigning of paralysis................"

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The real question is whether there will be backing to make the substantial changes that are needed from Cannan and the Chief Secretary.  These will include reversing the privatisation and outsourcing that the DoI has suffered from - simply because they haven't worked and in the current employment climate are likely to make things even worse.  This may go against Cannan's ideology, but practicality should be the important thing. 

They then need to make sure they get the right people, after  having made sure that the structures are trimmed back so they suit running a set of small operations rather than inflating the egos and salaries of those at the top.  At least they have realised what a mess HR and its associated functions are, but I'm not sure that Alf's re-education campaign will be all that is needed.

• Like 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

The real question is whether there will be backing to make the substantial changes that are needed from Cannan and the Chief Secretary.  These will include reversing the privatisation and outsourcing that the DoI has suffered from - simply because they haven't worked and in the current employment climate are likely to make things even worse.  This may go against Cannan's ideology, but practicality should be the important thing. 

They then need to make sure they get the right people, after  having made sure that the structures are trimmed back so they suit running a set of small operations rather than inflating the egos and salaries of those at the top.  At least they have realised what a mess HR and its associated functions are, but I'm not sure that Alf's re-education campaign will be all that is needed.

I suspect were going to see more privatisation and outsourcing rather than less. It's a quick easy way to shift the problem functions off the govt books to the private sector. As you say it will just cause bigger problems further down the line but those driven by a right wing ideology seldom look further than the 5 year political cycle.

• Thanks 1