Rob Callister

La Colombe

Rob Callisters big idea was a question he asked in the HOK, asking whether the Treasury has thought of introducing interest free loans for people, to help counter the cost of living. 

I am sorry and whilst I am sympathetic to peoples plight at this difficult time, there are many people who struggle financially, but live within their means, but their cloth accordingly, make sacrifices to get by. Government handouts, bailouts and loans won’t solve the issue, are open to financial fraud, and certain people or vested interests will probably hoover up the allocated loans. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Rob Callisters big idea was a question he asked in the HOK, asking whether the Treasury has thought of introducing interest free loans for people, to help counter the cost of living. 

I am sorry and whilst I am sympathetic to peoples plight at this difficult time, there are many people who struggle financially, but live within their means, but their cloth accordingly, make sacrifices to get by. Government handouts, bailouts and loans won’t solve the issue, are open to financial fraud, and certain people or vested interests will probably hoover up the allocated loans. 

Wasn't there talk/news of some recipients of COVID handouts being investigated for fraud or some such?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Wasn't there talk/news of some recipients of COVID handouts being investigated for fraud or some such?

Yes talk, but nothing will come of it. 

There are genuine people suffering, have lots of increased costs, bills and other inflationary obligations. They are quietly getting on with survival. There are plenty of wealthy households who have done well with increased house prices and have well paid jobs, even some well off retired folk, and whilst they are supposedly suffering, there standard of living is hardly bad. Cheap Loans isn’t an answer, fuel’s inflation and creates another layer of haves and haves not, and who you know to process the loan application. To apply for a loan to pay for the next holiday or down payment on a new car or camper van? Some sectors of society need to experience a bit of hardship, a drop in living standards. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

This was most interesting. IOMG make those who've had student loans pay interest on them at 2% over base

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callister is just playing to the voters who won't or can't exercise financial responsibility and/or look to Government for free money. In doing so he hopes that the rest of us, who are busy thinking about what savings we can make and what non-essentials we can cut, won't notice. Foolhardy ideas are OK, apparently, this far from an election. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, quilp said:

How can that be right? 

It’s true. This last lot of students have put up with a totally disrupted time and mainly online learning yet are still charged interest on their debt. He’s only using it to grandstand for attention though as a childless 50 year old. He won’t have any direct experience of the issue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

I know someone who is on long term sick benefits.  Surprisingly, the things that are actually affecting them, are not the reasons they are receiving the benefit. 

Meanwhile,  they are continuing to receive the benefit with absolutely no help to get their life back on course, no mental health support or even assessment and so continues their downward spiral.  

It is just tragic as they are increasingly isolating (not in a Covid way, although it was a factor) themselves and have no will to get out of the downward spiral. 

😔

59 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I know someone who is on long term sick benefits.  Surprisingly, the things that are actually affecting them, are not the reasons they are receiving the benefit. 

Meanwhile,  they are continuing to receive the benefit with absolutely no help to get their life back on course, no mental health support or even assessment and so continues their downward spiral.  

It is just tragic as they are increasingly isolating (not in a Covid way, although it was a factor) themselves and have no will to get out of the downward spiral. 

😔

I can totally relate to these comments as been there for 6 years plus. Wanting to work but body not letting me due to ME/CFS. Then of course the depression / anxiety kicks in. I was lucky as tried to keep pro active in findings ways to help myself and try and lead a more normal life. Sadly virtually no mental health support available of a practical sort. Yes lots of meds if you let them push them onto you. Best help I found and was a godsend was permited work up to 16 hrs a week or something around £150 a week you could earn weekly without losing benefits. It so worked and helped me and was lucky to find a employer who knew me and understood my issues. It was for up to a year but Markwell house extended  mine and it made all the difference. From getting around £116 a week on long term incapacity I was getting enough to sort out debts and get back in a good place. Was able to come of benefits and permitted work and be useful again. So wont work for everyone and you def have to want to make it work but its so satisfying after been useless for so long to feel 'normal' again . I would say to anyone give it a go . If you can find a employer that understands your going to have relapses possible from time to time.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

It’s an acknowledgment I think that he knows that he can no longer sell people any hope in his competence to do anything. He’ll still be stuck on his £70K a year while the rest of his moaning Onchan constituents see their home bills spiral and they can’t afford to pay for essentials. And let’s face it he’s head of the MUA which is the entity that going to ensure they can only eat beans on toast this winter as they won’t have any money left for anything else. He must know he’s f**ked. 

13 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

And let’s face it he’s head of the MUA which is the entity that going to ensure they can only eat beans on toast this winter as they won’t have any money left for anything else.

Well, he is following on from Allinson. On the topic of the £20 million cost to install smart meters Allison said @ 2:02

"there will not be a charge for this"

Maybe Callister isn't so bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just got my Electricity Bill via the usual email today. Up a good 50% on this time last year, I've just compared. No really significant change in usage of units.

Some aspects of this are outwith the MUA's control, obviously the global fuel situation.

Others weren't and aren't.