Rob Callister

La Colombe

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Asking for an additional £16.9 million to complete the job supposedly to cover Laxey and Peel. 

Prepare for total mayhem, disruption, chaos and decimated businesses in Laxey, Peel and surrounding areas. Coupled with the knowledge that the budget will overrun and will probably cost the taxpayers double if not more - the Capital Projects Unit of the Treasuuy will have to get involved. 

So Mr Callister has set a precedent, he stated the cost are due to inflation, so inflation has  increased in three years  just under 100%.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Roxanne said:

The danger is that this goes through without scrutiny and once it’s done it’s done. I’m not entirely sure the whole HOK knows what it’s voting for over this. I think they just want the problem to ‘go away’.

Sound familiar?   Manx Care?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

following the  recent revelations  by Chris Robertshaw , that the MUA are being dishonest  with their treatment standards and massive costings , together with future energy costs required to pump this sewage to Garwick treat it,  and pump it back to Laxey to discharge into the short sea outflow ,  it would make sense to refer the motion to a scrutiny committee to make sure the standards and being met ,the figures stack up .and we are not left with massive  energy costs  for generations to come , 

Peel is not quite so complicated , but never the less  a lot of money wasted  buildings  demolished site cleared , and now were going to put the treatment works somewhere else , ,and what about all the iris tanks under peel promenade installed at a cost of many millions of pounds , are they redundant now ?

time all this was fully investigated ,  the public have a right to know !

It's been investigated by committees many times. The last time when one Rob Callister was Chair of the environment and infrastructure committee (he may have joined infrastructure halfway through this investigation though).

Anyway it wouldn't be a July Tynwald if the Government weren't rushing through a bucketload of expenditure. It's a tradition, an old charter or something.

• Thanks 1

What sounds like a triumvirate of incompetents on Manx Radio currently (Callister, Peters and Gawne) is well worth a listen. Especially Callister trying to justify why he himself asks so few questions by claiming that the questions asked by everyone else are basically rubbish and that they cost money to answer. He really comes across as the lowest grade sort of politician struggling to justify his existence. 

1 hour ago, Wavey Davey said:

What sounds like a triumvirate of incompetents on Manx Radio currently (Callister, Peters and Gawne) is well worth a listen. Especially Callister trying to justify why he himself asks so few questions by claiming that the questions asked by everyone else are basically rubbish and that they cost money to answer. He really comes across as the lowest grade sort of politician struggling to justify his existence. 

In all fairness, Rob Callister and Phil Gawne are dangerous, both of them have cost the island dearly. Phil Gawne especially, not exactly financially prudent with taxpayers money, and his record with large scale capital infrastructure projects, hardly glowing. Rob Callister thinks he is Mr TT/Mr Onchan, and the answer to the islands problems 😂. He sat on the Promenade Committee, whilst a member of the DOI, hardly a paragon of influence and control. Stu Peters has never proclaimed to be a politician and stood as a means of putting his money where his mouth is. I can’t imagine he wants to be an eternal politico serving over 30 years, treating HOK/Tynpotwald like a fiefdom. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

In all fairness, Rob Callister and Phil Gawne are dangerous, both of them have cost the island dearly. Phil Gawne especially, not exactly financially prudent with taxpayers money, and his record with large scale capital infrastructure projects, hardly glowing. Rob Callister thinks he is Mr TT/Mr Onchan, and the answer to the islands problems 😂. He sat on the Promenade Committee, whilst a member of the DOI, hardly a paragon of influence and control. Stu Peters has never proclaimed to be a politician and stood as a means of putting his money where his mouth is. I can’t imagine he wants to be an eternal politico serving over 30 years, treating HOK/Tynpotwald like a fiefdom. 

Tbf the money wasted by Gawne dwarfs the outgoings of Callister. 

Gawne was the one that landed us with the horse trams. Was the reason for the current prom scheme (as he didn't have the brains or balls to crack on with the section by section scheme). 

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Tbf the money wasted by Gawne dwarfs the outgoings of Callister. 

Gawne was the one that landed us with the horse trams. Was the reason for the current prom scheme (as he didn't have the brains or balls to crack on with the section by section scheme). 

Didn’t Gawne screw up the Liverpool Ferry Terminal? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Kopek said:

......and he caused global warming with all the hot air he has generated?

I think Tynwald voted the prom scheme thru!

Tynwald obviously vote all capital projects through.

There was a section by section scheme that was started under the Cretney DOI/DOT... the first stage was actually done when they moved the Jubilee Clock and did the road past La Piazza/Pizza Hut. 

Then Gawnio arrived and said he knew best, they ripped those plans up and started about 6 million public consultations which ended in the current scheme that pleases nobody and disadvantages everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

Didn’t Gawne screw up the Liverpool Ferry Terminal? 

He and his "underlings" of the time certainly signed us up to it. As to whether one could hang the rising costs on them is another matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

......and he caused global warming with all the hot air he has generated?

I think Tynwald voted the prom scheme thru!

There lies part of the problem. A Minister who thinks they know best. A presentation in the Barule Suite by Civil Servants along with briefing notes, some MHKs who quite frankly aren’t intelligent and unable to disseminate, ruminate and cogitate. Coupled with the fact they have jobs down to patronage, so their futures, both employment and financial depend on their departmental role. They are hardly going to vote no are they, or challenge the plans, encouraging others to vote against? 

Even in the new regime led by CM Cannan, I can imagine some Tynpotwalders challenging, probing and seeking assurances.

On 7/12/2022 at 9:44 AM, Roxanne said:

Absolutely.  Changing the outflow from 1.6 km to 50m is an atrocious decision. If it was clear water running back in then ok, but it won’t be, it can’t be, so although the sewage in the bay solution may be ‘better’ it certainly won’t be blue flag status, and if we’re paying millions for it it bloody well should be. 

The danger is that this goes through without scrutiny and once it’s done it’s done. I’m not entirely sure the whole HOK knows what it’s voting for over this. I think they just want the problem to ‘go away’. I’m not convinced this is the solution - but I’d like to be convinced - and so should the members. 

Genuine question. Why would you spend £mmms on a long sea outfall for treated sewage?