Rob Callister

La Colombe

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Of all the Worlds Nations, why is the Isle of Man the only Nation to send representatives to these Commonwealth meetings???

Delegates to these sort of events tend to work on the basis that if you’re too important or too busy then you won’t have time to go. So in reality it’s all the non entities who are ultimately packed off to make up the numbers because the seats have already been paid for on the expectation that somebody more important might have had a slot in their diary. They’ll spend their time networking with other minions whose bosses were also far too busy to attend. 

13 hours ago, 2112 said:

Rob Callisters Facebook post is quite frankly some kind of piss taking. Important event and it’s political head for motorsports would rather swan around pretending to be a nobody in a gathering of nobodies, then attend another talking shop involving Jersey and Guernsey and other tiny nations.  He should be doing what he is paid to do, that’s to represent his department. 

To be fair, Callister isn't actually paid to represent his department because there's no supplement paid to departmental members any more.  So all that swanning around comes for free.  He does get a 5% supplement for being head of the MUA, but obviously there won't be any problems involving  water of power in the near future.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, Omobono said:

I don't think Rob will be missed  and the governor knows how to get up to the startine now , ,

they should leave him in Canada ! better out of the way ,!

What if Tynwald had life sized cardboard cutouts made of themselves for such problematic situations.  In Mr Callisters case it could attend MUA meeting and be placed in the VIP area at the Manx Grand Prix. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Holte End said:

What if Tynwald had life sized cardboard cutouts made of themselves for such problematic situations.  In Mr Callisters case it could attend MUA meeting and be placed in the VIP area at the Manx Grand Prix. 

Or like Have I Got News for You who replaced Roy Hattersley with a tub of lard. 

• Haha 1

Whoopee here we have the first of what will no doubt be a weeks worth of piss-boring droning to try to justify his trip. Resulting in the disclosure right at the end after hundreds of words of waffle and nonsense about his attendance of workshops on Tonga’s climate change issues that this evening it was free time for delegates - which presumably he mostly spent writing this complete and utter shite. 

=========================

The 65th Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference is now underway, and the first difference I noticed between this particular conference and other conferences I have attended in the private sector is the actual size of the programme. 

It isn’t a single programme of events; instead it is a multi-layered programme that offers a range of sub-committees, workshops, talkshows, networking opportunities and executive committees, along with various annual general meetings. 

The programme is also broken down by region and these include Africa, Asia, Australia, British Islands and Mediterranean, Canada, Caribbean, the Americas and Atlantic, India, Pacific and the South-East Asia Region - it really is a massive political conference. 

Thank you for all the questions and feedback around the conference, and in particular the timing, the costs for attending the event and why should Tynwald members be attending the event when there is so much happening at home with regard to the costs of living crisis. 

Firstly, the cost of living crisis that is squeezing households’ budgets and putting incredible pressure on businesses at the moment is happening across the world, and not just in the Isle of Man. 

I am sure it will become one of the main topics of discussion throughout the conference and I am looking forward to listening to how other parliaments are trying to address this crisis, especially from those countries that are heavily reliant on natural gas for heating and generating electricity. 

As for the question of should Tynwald be sending elected members to these conferences and parliamentary workshops etc, that will require a wider discussion. What I can say is that Tynwald has been attending CPA Regional and Annual Conferences for many years, and in fact the Isle of Man actually hosted a regional conference only in October last year. 

As an elected member it is a privilege to be given this opportunity, but it doesn’t mean that I am not still focussed on what is happening in the Isle of Man at the moment.

Tomorrow morning I will be up for around 4.30am (Halifax time), in order to dial into an urgent government meeting relating to the costs of living crisis and utility prices for this coming autumn and winter period. 

As for the conference, I think the Isle of Man should also be proud that we are able to attend an event that has political representatives from almost every single parliament within the Commonwealth. 

The Isle of Man delegation is one of the smallest at the conference even compared to our counterparts in Jersey and Guernsey who are also attending the conference. 

Ahead of the conference being formally opened, there were various Committee, Sub-Committees, Audit and Steering groups, along with a couple of Regional Secretary Committee meetings. 

Once the Conference was formally opened, the first workshop related to “Disaster Risk Preparedness for Small Jurisdictions”. Ahead of the workshop there was an election of a Chairman of the CPA small branches, and Joy Burch, the Speaker of the Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly was duly elected. 

The CPA small branches represent more than 180 Parliaments and Legislatures in 56 Commonwealth countries, and this extends to over 17,000 parliamentarians. 

The first CPA small branches AGM was held back in 1981 and they have held conferences annually ever since. 

As for the first workshop, it started with two key note presentations relating to risk management and emergency planning, and one of the presentations gave a very personal account of the various natural disasters that Tonga face almost very single year from extreme weather changes, which are being associated with climate change in recent years, along with volcanic eruptions and other natural disasters. 

This was followed by a workshop and a general discussion amongst the members. 

Sunday evening was free time for delegates

Edited by MrGarrison

45 minutes ago, MrGarrison said:

Whoopee here we have the first of what will no doubt be a weeks worth of piss-boring droning to try to justify his trip. Resulting in the disclosure right at the end after hundreds of words of waffle and nonsense about his attendance of workshops on Tonga’s climate change issues that this evening it was free time for delegates - which presumably he mostly spent writing this complete and utter shite. 

The 65th Commonwealth Parliamentary Association Conference is now underway, and the first difference I noticed between this particular conference and other conferences I have attended in the private sector is the actual size of the programme. 

It isn’t a single programme of events; instead it is a multi-layered programme that offers a range of sub-committees, workshops, talkshows, networking opportunities and executive committees, along with various annual general meetings. 

The programme is also broken down by region and these include Africa, Asia, Australia, British Islands and Mediterranean, Canada, Caribbean, the Americas and Atlantic, India, Pacific and the South-East Asia Region - it really is a massive political conference. 

Thank you for all the questions and feedback around the conference, and in particular the timing, the costs for attending the event and why should Tynwald members be attending the event when there is so much happening at home with regard to the costs of living crisis. 

Firstly, the cost of living crisis that is squeezing households’ budgets and putting incredible pressure on businesses at the moment is happening across the world, and not just in the Isle of Man. 

I am sure it will become one of the main topics of discussion throughout the conference and I am looking forward to listening to how other parliaments are trying to address this crisis, especially from those countries that are heavily reliant on natural gas for heating and generating electricity. 

As for the question of should Tynwald be sending elected members to these conferences and parliamentary workshops etc, that will require a wider discussion. What I can say is that Tynwald has been attending CPA Regional and Annual Conferences for many years, and in fact the Isle of Man actually hosted a regional conference only in October last year. 

As an elected member it is a privilege to be given this opportunity, but it doesn’t mean that I am not still focussed on what is happening in the Isle of Man at the moment.

Tomorrow morning I will be up for around 4.30am (Halifax time), in order to dial into an urgent government meeting relating to the costs of living crisis and utility prices for this coming autumn and winter period. 

As for the conference, I think the Isle of Man should also be proud that we are able to attend an event that has political representatives from almost every single parliament within the Commonwealth. 

The Isle of Man delegation is one of the smallest at the conference even compared to our counterparts in Jersey and Guernsey who are also attending the conference. 

Ahead of the conference being formally opened, there were various Committee, Sub-Committees, Audit and Steering groups, along with a couple of Regional Secretary Committee meetings. 

Once the Conference was formally opened, the first workshop related to “Disaster Risk Preparedness for Small Jurisdictions”. Ahead of the workshop there was an election of a Chairman of the CPA small branches, and Joy Burch, the Speaker of the Australian Capital Territory Legislative Assembly was duly elected. 

The CPA small branches represent more than 180 Parliaments and Legislatures in 56 Commonwealth countries, and this extends to over 17,000 parliamentarians. 

The first CPA small branches AGM was held back in 1981 and they have held conferences annually ever since. 

As for the first workshop, it started with two key note presentations relating to risk management and emergency planning, and one of the presentations gave a very personal account of the various natural disasters that Tonga face almost very single year from extreme weather changes, which are being associated with climate change in recent years, along with volcanic eruptions and other natural disasters. 

What a tit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Manx17 said:

Would love to know the age group that vote this fella in.  I wonder if its elderly ladies thinking after a few kind words that they think “oh he’s a lovely boy” and vote for him. 

I mean what has he achieved whilst being an MHK?

Onchan literally had no choice. It was him, Edge, the bloke who found the Commissioners too tough, he-who-probably-still-can-not-be-named's righthand man, or the bloke who wanted to concrete over Douglas Bay to make it a parking lot. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, MrGarrison said:

I thought he'd stopped blogging. The man just can't help himself.