Rob Callister

La Colombe

43 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Sorry , how could I forget cheese on toast. Anyway , I don’t think he’ll be health minister , just a daft rumour. Chief Minister maybe but not Health Minister. Now that would be fun.

Must admit I find it incredible that this has been even suggested. It's probably the most challenging post out there , beyond most and definitely beyond Rob. I would respect him massively if he was offered it and turned it down. But his ego isn't going to allow that. Guess we will know in a week or so's time. And if true dont think much of Cannan's judgement considering he has a military and recruitment background.   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Must admit I find it incredible that this as been even suggested. It's probably the most challenging post out there , beyond most and definitely beyond Rob. I would respect him massively if he was offered it and turned it down. But his ego isn't going to allow that. Guess we will know in a week or so's time. And if true dont think much of Cannan's judgement considering he has a military and recruitment background.   

Agreed Numbnuts - but let’s remind ourselves Alfred’s recruitment business was actually in the Louis Group Building…….

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Club for the egocentric and desperate for attention?

You do know Josem and HM Sole didn't get elected right?

Political outliers are always going to struggle to enthral enough of the GMP to win a seat. For me, the main concern was the mystery around the identity of the backers and, if they were elected, their true intentions.

But would electing these two characters have been a disaster for our governance? Would they be any less capable than the current crop of MHKs? I can only guess. One thing though is clear- if Rob C gets the crucial role of the Health Minister, at this crucial time when the public wants their Minister to act wisely and decisively, then I agree with joebean - this is a huge indicator of how shallow the pool of talent in the HoK actually is. We probably all already know far too much about that reality anyway. Sad.     

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Must admit I find it incredible that this has been even suggested. It's probably the most challenging post out there , beyond most and definitely beyond Rob. I would respect him massively if he was offered it and turned it down. But his ego isn't going to allow that. Guess we will know in a week or so's time. And if true dont think much of Cannan's judgement considering he has a military and recruitment background.   

What if it’s nothing to do with Alf’s judgement and others have already turned it down leaving him no option?

41 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Assume a reshuffle as Alf is currently DFE and I would guess there is an element of people not wanting certain positions forcing Alf’s hand.

But this comes back to my point.

There's this big hoohah historically in Gov about appointing first term MHKs as Minister, especially in the greater offices such as Health, Treasury and Enterprise.

But I don't see why this couldn't be an opportunity for an intelligent MHK like Christian to take post in Enterprise. I don't particularly like her, but it would make more sense than this potential shuffle and let Hooper hang himself further in Health for my moneys worth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Why does he have to replace Hooper? Not making any judgement on Hooper's performance,  but why change it? 

Mr Hooper is very clearly incapable of doing any of the things that need doing. He has continued in exactly the same manner of his predecessors of completely ignoring the actual lived experience of the public in seeking healthcare and parroting the lines of his senior managers.

Edit - Obviously we will never know what goes on behind the scenes but it would be no surprise if Mr Hooper himself proposed the move. It's a difficult position, I don't think he has the head, heart or balls for it, and he knows it.

(I am not suggesting Mr Callister would be any better)

Edited by manxfisherman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

People keep on mentioning Cannan's military background, but he only served four years and it mainly seems to be because he couldn't get into university (the bright ones tend to get the Army to sponsor them through their degree).  This was amusingly highlighted in all those photos of the Proclamation at Government House where the LG, the man with a pointy stick and even Mrs Gov (who had her own distinguished military career) all stood there, clanking with a chest full of medals, while Alf was there with his one solitary service gong.

If the rumours are true, the interesting question is why Hooper wants out, rather than who replaces him.  But the role is a complete mess, because the only thing the Minister has any power over is the 40 or so civil servants of the DHSC who don't actually seem to do anything.  And yet the Minister is still supposed to represent Manx Care.  It's the ultimate example of where Ministers in the Manx Government are only supposed to act as junior PR people for their civil servant masters.  Hooper may well be wanting out, especially after the latest humiliations over Ranson.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, code99 said:

Political outliers are always going to struggle to enthral enough of the GMP to win a seat. For me, the main concern was the mystery around the identity of the backers and, if they were elected, their true intentions.

But would electing these two characters have been a disaster for our governance? Would they be any less capable than the current crop of MHKs? I can only guess. One thing though is clear- if Rob C gets the crucial role of the Health Minister, at this crucial time when the public wants their Minister to act wisely and decisively, then I agree with joebean - this is a huge indicator of how shallow the pool of talent in the HoK actually is. We probably all already know far too much about that reality anyway. Sad.     

A couple of things here:

Mystery backers. The freemasonic members of the House of Keys have had the lodge as their backer. You don't get much more mysterious than that. So there is little wonder why the Island's biggest house builder had such continued success. 

Shallow pool of talent. The experiment to elect Members of the House of Keys from off the street rather than from within the House of Keys has been a failure. Tynwald is introducing people who don't have the gumption or backbone to face the electorate in the first place (irrespective of some who have gone on to face the baying crowds, but of course only from their safe seat in the ivory tower).

The by-elections that inevitably ensued after an MLC election often produced some interesting and worthwhile candidates and kept politics more in the public eye. Yes there was often a faff about but in hindsight it was usually worth it and gave far more legitimacy to the successful candidates. Which strengthened Tynwald and its gene pool.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

There's this big hoohah historically in Gov about appointing first term MHKs as Minister, especially in the greater offices such as Health, Treasury and Enterprise.

But I don't see why this couldn't be an opportunity for an intelligent MHK like Christian to take post in Enterprise. I don't particularly like her, but it would make more sense than this potential shuffle and let Hooper hang himself further in Health for my moneys worth.

Of course the 'no first timers' rule is complete nonsense.  Quayle was quite happy to appoint Ashford to DHSC where he'd only been in Keys for a couple of years and Boot and Harmer had only been in Keys for about a year when they were made Ministers after the 2016 election.  And Christian was in a similar position having been elected in a by-election about a year before 2021.

I wonder if the real problem may be that the more competent Keys members are unwilling to take on Ministerial roles unless they have guarantees that they can implement policies to make a difference.  Which the civil servants are unwilling to allow and Cannan lacks the will to impose.  Hence the need to turn to willing patsies like Callister.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course the 'no first timers' rule is complete nonsense.  Quayle was quite happy to appoint Ashford to DHSC where he'd only been in Keys for a couple of years and Boot and Harmer had only been in Keys for about a year when they were made Ministers after the 2016 election.  And Christian was in a similar position having been elected in a by-election about a year before 2021.

I wonder if the real problem may be that the more competent Keys members are unwilling to take on Ministerial roles unless they have guarantees that they can implement policies to make a difference.  Which the civil servants are unwilling to allow and Cannan lacks the will to impose.  Hence the need to turn to willing patsies like Callister.

More competent !???. The problem we have that we are really short of anyone remotely that are competent. Just look through the names and theres a dearth of any with even some of the credentials for the job and certainly not any to lead a department with the budget of the Health service or DOI.    

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Indeed. One might look at Crookall's rapid exit from DfE and ask if he refused to have his principles quashed? Has there been any expansion as yet on the reasons for his departure other than being "unable to work within Govt" (or words to that effect)?

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Irrespective of anything, I had higher hopes for Alf, at the start.

Me too and the new brush approach, particularly on the back of some his edicts while in Treasury must have impressed others too. Dealing with Greenhow too. But the momentum seems to have been blunted somewhat.

• Like 3