Rob Callister

La Colombe

39 minutes ago, Apple said:

Given the comments about our role in this unfortunate situation, we firstly want to observe that we play no part in hiring and firing. Secondly, we’d like to assure people that our priority is to deliver the best we can for the public, and the staff at DHSC, and to continue to work positively and productively with the current Minister."

The statement doesn't make any sense. What does 'want to observe" mean in this context. Allegedly calling a colleague is incompetent would for me be a considerable contribution to being sacked or asked to resign. There is also no mention of Manx Care in their statement which is interesting in itself.

Because of his constituency work Rob will be re elected in the next election.. I am not so sure about these three - I hope they told him to his face about his incompetence before they complained to anyone else. This sounds like  Ranson and Tindell all over again. 

In my opinion Alf has shown poor judgement in the way this has developed. The publics confidence and patience with the lack of respect shown for the people of the island by supposedly serious people in serious positions I think has now worn so thin it is difficult to see how the health and social care under this regime can be held in any esteem.

New leadership in a new format should be considered as we are getting nowhere fast. And it is now painful to watch.

Other than his expenses paid world tour, where has Alf been hiding anyway?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

The Political Members have spoken. What they don't say is whether or not they complained about him.

That’s because politicians everywhere are incapable , once they get in , of telling the truth or accepting responsibility for anything. We should not be surprised by it. At least MHK’s are actually subjected to public scrutiny unlike MLC’s about whom we know very little about. Rob always put his head above the parapet , too high probably. Told the truth , accepted responsibility and look what it got him - sacked. Now the liars and faceless responsibility shirkers are back in charge. Hip hip hoorah. His sacking has all the hallmarks of the civil service tail wagging the chief minister dog. Again. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

No it doesn’t. The man is a complete knob. He shouldn’t even have been given the job in the first place. 

Is there any MHK or indeed anyone on the island with the competence and energy for that job?

7 hours ago, Apple said:

What does 'want to observe" mean in this context. Allegedly calling a colleague is incompetent would for me be a considerable contribution to being sacked or asked to resign. There is also no mention of Manx Care in their statement which is interesting in itself.

Whoever wrote that statement was trying to be clever but has proven they are not. They haven't denied calling him incompetent (or words to that effect), which in political terms is as good as an admission.

If this was all because of the Tracey Bell arguement leading to the DMs being embarrassed by arguing on social media then perhaps the DMs should think twice before... arguing on social media.

What's interesting in all of this is, that if indeed these 3 have been stirring things behind the scenes, it is a very risky game for one of them. August-Hanson is up for re-election next year. Will this lessen her chances of being re-elected?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

What's interesting in all of this is, that if indeed these 3 have been stirring things behind the scenes, it is a very risky game for one of them. August-Hanson is up for re-election next year. Will this lessen her chances of being re-elected?

As one of the comments under the story above says though, it’s almost exactly what he did to Kate Beecroft at the time when she got sacked as health minister. He undermined her then out the boot in. 

17 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

As one of the comments under the story above says though, it’s almost exactly what he did to Kate Beecroft at the time when she got sacked as health minister. He undermined her then out the boot in. 

Yes both situations were handled in a very underhand way.

Edited by Ham_N_Eggs
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, quilp said:

As much as I think that Rob  Callister is the author of his own misfortune, and comes across as a arse licking Political sycophant more eager to please his master, but sadly didn’t have the abilities of the intellect for the role. I would say that this could be applied to the political department members of the DHSC, political busibodies. Perhaps Joney Faragher should be the Minister? I doubt she would do it better. Maybe she should be the Minister of the Department of Incompetence, and she could receive instruction from it previous Minister, that great political colossus  David Cretney? As for Michelle Haywood and Tanya, I don’t think these two could run a bath. 

• Like 2

Did anyone think that Rob Callister’s appointment to Minister for DHSC was going to end in any other way? Observing Tynwald is like watching a badly scripted soap opera with very predictable storylines and actors who couldn’t get a role anywhere else. I sense that Alf Cannan was looking around for a Leonardo DiCaprio but only had Les Dennis on his books. His mistake was trying to pretend it was a good choice.

No offence to Les Dennis, who seems quite a genuine sort and can complete Wordle everyday. An actual choice between him and RC would probably be a no-brainer. 

• Like 2