Rob Callister

La Colombe

5 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Just what what monumental disaster has Rob caused…I must have missed that.  Things have not worked out, none of the previous Health Ministers have not really done much if anything to progress the Department which is clearly out of control and he has been removed.  

Hooper was removed due to the fact that he was in post when the tail end of the Ranson enquiry was going on. We’re talking about a man who was Minister for the sum total of 51 days here like he’s some sort of folk hero thwarted by his own department when really he’s a bit of a bell-end who we know from past experience always resigns or gets sacked in the most public and extravagant way possible to retract from his own inability to hold down any post.

There is a very good quote and link here someone has posted to what he said in 2017 over Beecroft. It’s almost the same but completely the opposite in that he undermined her and she got sacked. Which seemed to be completely fair game for him at the time. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/health/former-health-minister-rob-callister-political-team-didnt-support-me-572216

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Just what what monumental disaster has Rob caused…I must have missed that.  Things have not worked out, none of the previous Health Ministers have not really done much if anything to progress the Department which is clearly out of control and he has been removed.   Well let us see if Mr Hooper does any better if he was that brilliant why remove him just weeks ago ?    The Health service is a monumental challenge and perhaps Dr Allinson is the only MHK who could start to unravel the mess and set it on a road to recovery.   Perhaps Alfie boy should join Matt in the Jungle and sort himself out.

The Good Doctor ain't that stupid.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Apple said:

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-care-found-rob-callister-to-be-respectful-and-collaborative/

Manx Care supportive of Rob Callister so begs the question of what is really going on.

Our Health and Social care services deserve better than this, and so do the people who work in them. How are they expected to feel about all this and what can they say when dealing with their patients. It puts many of them in an unenviable position, embarrassing to say the least. 

Did these three not anticipate the outcome of what they were doing?. Was this the best way forward? Unfathomable.

In other words he does what they say, not exactly his role, no wonder the other political members got pissed off

I don’t think any of us know the real reason why he has been pushed, after being invited to jump.

What worries me is that some of the speculative posts on here, and posts by RC, and his FB supporters, seem to show a lack of understanding of the responsibility divide between Political head of DHSC, DHSC, & Manx Care.

Hes claimed he done lots to get people who contacted him treated, resolving their issues. Well that’s not his role. In fact it’s the antithesis of his role. That sort of thing is what MCALS should be dealing with, perhaps with the patient being supported by their MHK. Not by the political head of its regulator.

Second, whilst DHSC has a huge budget it’s no longer the provider of social care or medical services. It’s a commissioner and an inspector/regulator, assessor of delivery of what’s been commissioned.  That’s what any minister of DHSC is responsible for. Deciding what to Commission, and from whom. Checking if it’s delivered. Not lobbying for X to get Y treatment.

Delivery is by Manx Care, Which itself contracts GP’s and Dentists. And buys in certain services. It’s designed to be at arms length to insulate actual delivery from political interference.

We can argue whether the split is pointless, introduces extra management layers and costs. But it’s what we’ve got.

Actually it’s a strange concept to grasp. I do wonder if that played a part in his downfall. Not recognising the structure or appreciating the requirement for arms length. It wouldn’t fit in with his assumed and alleged granny farming instincts. 

Of course it’s proper that he maintained cordial and respectful elations with Manx Care. But if he was playing outside brief …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Actually it’s a strange concept to grasp. I do wonder if that played a part in his downfall. Not recognising the structure or appreciating the requirement for arms length. It wouldn’t fit in with his assumed and alleged granny farming instincts. 

This. Exactly this. Mr C would make a very good local councillor, sorting out individuals’ problems on a small scale basis - my bin hasn’t been emptied, the street light isn’t working, I can’t get my library card to work. He is a people pleaser, not a strategic thinker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But then again if you are a grown up adult and you fail to understand that is how the service is structured and where your remit ends then maybe you are incompetent? 

27 minutes ago, Holte End said:

If they can sack a minister for incompetence, will they be able to do the same to civil servants. Only joking I know they can't.

Yes they can. Of course they can. There is a process. It's probably quite complicated and you would have to make a good case. But lack of 'capability' is a valid reason to be dismissed from the CS

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think any of us know the real reason why he has been pushed, after being invited to jump.

What worries me is that some of the speculative posts on here, and posts by RC, and his FB supporters, seem to show a lack of understanding of the responsibility divide between Political head of DHSC, DHSC, & Manx Care.

Hes claimed he done lots to get people who contacted him treated, resolving their issues. Well that’s not his role. In fact it’s the antithesis of his role. That sort of thing is what MCALS should be dealing with, perhaps with the patient being supported by their MHK. Not by the political head of its regulator.

Second, whilst DHSC has a huge budget it’s no longer the provider of social care or medical services. It’s a commissioner and an inspector/regulator, assessor of delivery of what’s been commissioned.  That’s what any minister of DHSC is responsible for. Deciding what to Commission, and from whom. Checking if it’s delivered. Not lobbying for X to get Y treatment.

Delivery is by Manx Care, Which itself contracts GP’s and Dentists. And buys in certain services. It’s designed to be at arms length to insulate actual delivery from political interference.

We can argue whether the split is pointless, introduces extra management layers and costs. But it’s what we’ve got.

Of course it’s proper that he maintained cordial and respectful elations with Manx Care. But if he was playing outside brief …

Yes we don't know for sure. I think we probably have a very good idea why he was sacked though. He has an almost childlike approach to life. He doesn't prepare before he makes statements. He runs on instinct. He's not a bad man, but it annoys people as they don't like his cocksure manner. 

However all these facets in his behavior make him unsuitable for that particular job. Storming in without preparation or knowledge of the subject will have pissed everyone off.

It's puzzling how Alf ever thought he would be suitable and almost cruel that he threw him in there   

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Some of his posts on social media over the last month from ‘Rob the Sobber’ definitely show he though he was minister for Manx Care, he isn’t, wasn’t, not even close. Setting policy and being the overseeing conduit as well as Cabinet Office is all that tiny DHSC department of a few dozen staff do. He was minister of smallest Department and fell on his face.    The bloke is soft in the head and Cannan did right swiping Robs chair from him.   ‘I wont forgive…’   The man is deluded! 

• Sad 1