Rob Callister

La Colombe

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Actually it’s a strange concept to grasp. I do wonder if that played a part in his downfall. Not recognising the structure or appreciating the requirement for arms length

If the role of the Minister is to decide policy (and not be concerned with trivial details) which person or body is responsible for monitoring and ultimately controlling the DHSC and Manx Care? These arms-length organisations confuse me.

27 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If the role of the Minister is to decide policy (and not be concerned with trivial details) which person or body is responsible for monitoring and ultimately controlling the DHSC and Manx Care? These arms-length organisations confuse me.

They have split the service delivery from the department and the policy making so in effect the Minister doesn’t have many powers over service provision. If the guy is as thick as most people say perhaps the penny didn’t drop that Mrs Gellings gammy leg appointment is controlled by Manx Care. Just because Mrs Gelling has written you a letter about her gammy leg does not mean that you can tell anyone at Manx Care to do anything about her next gammy leg appointment. If he’s such a desperate granny farmer then he’ll have worked out quick enough that he’s going to be getting thousands of people writing to him about nothing he has any control of and they’re all going to get very angry with him. 

Edited by BriT

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Manx Care have a mandate from DHSC which defines what they must do.

• Like 1

Beecroft was the reason Beecroft got the boot she was absolutely dreadful, no one would work with her not just Rob.   Had the longest pity party known in the Western world.   Total disaster.    Well we will see how Hooper goes second time around with the poisoned challis I wish him luck in a nice way.   If Alfie keeps rotating the MHKs at the speed of light he is going to run out of options sooner or later.   Has the new DOI Minister Thomas done any better than his predecessor…I haven’t seen any improvement, Victoria Street at lunchtime is not a great experience, the only plus is he has not used the word hopefully in every sentence.  Interesting times indeed 🤨.

20 hours ago, Apple said:

Given the comments about our role in this unfortunate situation, we firstly want to observe that we play no part in hiring and firing. Secondly, we’d like to assure people that our priority is to deliver the best we can for the public, and the staff at DHSC, and to continue to work positively and productively with the current Minister."

Notice the cutesy, careful wording. Perhaps not in the actual act of firing which is obviously only in the gift of the Chief Minister. But it's like providing all the ammunition, loading the rifle, aiming it and giving it to the Chief to pull the trigger. I'd be very curious to see what a data subject access request would reveal about communications between political members and the CM. How long have the trio been political members for the failing and low morale DHSC? What have they done about it? What puts them on the moral high ground? Something really stinks here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Notice the cutesy, careful wording. Perhaps not in the actual act of firing which is obviously only in the gift of the Chief Minister. But it's like providing all the ammunition, loading the rifle, aiming it and giving it to the Chief to pull the trigger. I'd be very curious to see what a data subject access request would reveal about communications between political members and the CM. How long have the trio been political members for the failing and low morale DHSC? What have they done about it? What puts them on the moral high ground? Something really stinks here.

OK, Cueball 

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Never met him in my life. I just don't like people getting fucked over.

But Rob totally fucked over Kate Beecroft in almost identical circumstances. That seemed to be ok though. He deliberately undermined his Minister, said that he had no confidence in her, and then she got sacked. Interestingly enough at that time he did another letter to the press ‘explaining’ it all in an attempt to excuse his behaviour. Just like he’s doing now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1