Rob Callister

La Colombe

30 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You probably have a point, but unfortunately Rob Callister hasn’t done himself any favours, his behaviour afterwards was churlish, and so it was plain to see that any chance or opportunity, the machinations of the establishment would swing into action. He should have swallowed his pride, smiled and gritted his teeth and carried on. Sometimes it’s a test of someone’s character as to how people react to certain situations. 

From what I can tell from the report Heywood was reacting to Rob's behaviour. She has accepted the finding and agreed to reflect on her choice of words in future. 

What's noticeable is that it was Rob's allegation that Heywood and the other members bullied him that prompted this investigation and this is all it amounts to - one word in the heat of the moment. No criticism of Faragher, none of August-Henson despite him making specific allegations about her treatment of a staff member that the staff member didn't have a problem with. 

If he'd recognised the need to behave differently earlier - he'd still be minister. If he resigned quietly or not made wild unfounded allegations when sacked - he wouldn't have to apologise to Tynwald. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Is it possible to give a "full and sincere" apology for something if you also deny you did it? Struggling with it a bit. 

I think it'll be a politician's apology...

"I'm sorry if anyone was offended by anything I may have said, although I don't agree I said it and if I had it's been taken out of context, and anyway I thought it was a confidential conversation when I didn't say what has been misconstrued and for which I offer a full, frank and unequivocal apology for any upset caused by the words I refute saying."

Edited by Declan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think it'll be a politician's apology...

"I'm sorry if anyone was offended by anything I may have said, although I don't agree I said it and if I had it's been taken out of context, and anyway I thought it was a confidential conversation when I didn't say what has been misconstrued and for which I offer a full, frank and unequivocal apology for any upset caused my the words I refute saying."

I'm still struggling with the word (Robs word from his second email) sincere.

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Is it possible to give a "full and sincere" apology for something if you also deny you did it? Struggling with it a bit. 

There are certain individuals who are able to do it quite easily. Callister is one of them. Nothing is ever his fault. Admitting wrong doing never happens. Apologies are never genuine. 

The report stating he is a bully was a kindness.

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

There are certain individuals who are able to do it quite easily. Callister is one of them. Nothing is ever his fault. Admitting wrong doing never happens. Apologies are never genuine. 

The report stating he is a bully was a kindness.

Have you had dealings with him in the past?

38 minutes ago, cissolt said:

This section is quite interesting.  He didn't want to take the fall for the Ranson appeal, then why did he approve it? 

Why was the decision political rather than operational?  Does that imply it came from comin rather than the department?

Screenshot_2023-02-28-17-19-42-53_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

No. It's political because it was taken by the minister, on advice, ( political ) rather than departmental executives without ministerial input ( operational )

It has no implications for department or CoMin.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No. It's political because it was taken by the minister, on advice, ( political ) rather than departmental executives without ministerial input ( operational )

It has no implications for department or CoMin.

Thanks for the clarification John.  I found it an odd phrase 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

5AB905DB-52F1-46E8-803F-D750514667D9.jpeg

• Haha 5

Some parts of that document make me wonder which planet I am on. e.g.

"25. ....  Ms Faragher said he raised
his voice and told her “I don’t want to lose my temper today”, which sounded threatening
and was very disrespectful. Dr Haywood described the comment as “extremely
intimidating”. "

"26. Mr Callister explained that he made the remark calmly, quietly and in a measured way after
a considerable period of inappropriate behaviour by the political Members. "

"29. I am of the view that Mr Callister did behave inappropriately towards Ms Faragher in making
a threat that he would lose his temper"

Over the decades I have attended many meetings, some of which might be termed formal meetings. Most were ok, but sometimes tempers got frayed. But to consider the phrase “I don’t want to lose my temper" as “extremely intimidating” is laughable.

Callister might be a pain in the neck, but really...

How about referring back to the way Ranson was treated by the KC? How about if the standard adopted by the KC towards her was the standard adopted by every member of the public when addressing a civil servant or a politician?  By the end of the day just about everyone on the receiving end would be off sick with stress.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Replies on RC's FB are living proof that he has supporters very like the ones who insist Trump won, Pol Pot was misunderstood...

I have hypnotic Facebook powers. I could pop round and steal their milk and have a poo in their kitchen and they’d still love me on Facebook. 

E4B6D209-06E7-49A3-8EA1-CE0F5BA7CB10.jpeg