Rob Callister

La Colombe

23 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Some parts of that document make me wonder which planet I am on. e.g.

"25. ....  Ms Faragher said he raised
his voice and told her “I don’t want to lose my temper today”, which sounded threatening
and was very disrespectful. Dr Haywood described the comment as “extremely
intimidating”. "

"26. Mr Callister explained that he made the remark calmly, quietly and in a measured way after
a considerable period of inappropriate behaviour by the political Members. "

"29. I am of the view that Mr Callister did behave inappropriately towards Ms Faragher in making
a threat that he would lose his temper"

Over the decades I have attended many meetings, some of which might be termed formal meetings. Most were ok, but sometimes tempers got frayed. But to consider the phrase “I don’t want to lose my temper" as “extremely intimidating” is laughable.

Callister might be a pain in the neck, but really...

But it would have stayed in the meeting if Rob hadn't claimed he was bullied, forcing the CM to pass it to the committee.

He really is his own worst enemy.

However, when we have all witnessed the complete callous revengeful nastiness shown to Dr Ranson via their IOMG KC, under their instruction don't forget!, it just seems there could be a big possibility of this same situation happening to this easy target...Rob Callister MHK.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Declan said:

But it would have stayed in the meeting if Rob hadn't claimed he was bullied, forcing the CM to pass it to the committee.

You are taking this from an anti-Callister point of view, but I am taking it from an anti-everyone-in-government point of view. They are all a waste of time, whinging and complaining about irrelevancies.

How about if I say "I will lose my temper" if you don't agree with me? Will you feel "extremely intimidated"? Will you complain to the moderators?

Even AlbertTatlock wouldn't ban me for that. Well, he might - he hasn't banned anyone for a couple of days, and probably feels the need...

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

How about if I say "I will lose my temper" if you don't agree with me? Will you feel "extremely intimidated"? Will you complain to the moderators?

No I wouldn't. Because -

• you are not in  a position of authority over me
  • we're not in the same room
  • I don't have to maintain a professional relationship with you
  • I'm not a small woman faced with an angry man
  • in my experience on MF if someone loses they're temper with me I've probably won the arguement

16 minutes ago, Sentience said:

He really is his own worst enemy.

However, when we have all witnessed the complete callous revengeful nastiness shown to Dr Ranson via their IOMG KC, under their instruction don't forget!, it just seems there could be a big possibility of this same situation happening to this easy target...Rob Callister MHK.

But why would Rob be selected as the target? He was minister at the time - he was one of them.

This is another quote from the above document, and is an excerpt from Hansard 15 November 2022:

"And where was the Chief Minister’s integrity when I brought to his attention
allegations of bullying? Where was the Chief Minister’s integrity when I brought
mistakes made within the Department? Where was the Chief Minister’s integrity
when I brought behavioural problems with my Department Members?"

The resignations were in about May last year, and Callister was appointed Minister in September. So I assume he was telling Cannan about bullying problems in the dept. after that time. So what is the deal here? Has Cannan decided that there is no bullying problem, or is it just another irrelevant problem to be ignored?

12 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

All involved seem like a bunch of children who need to grow up. Utterly embarrassing from all involved

Quite agree. “ oh he uttered an expletive” . Like no one has ever said that in a meeting before!

I’ ve been in meetings where swear words have rained down like confetti but no one has been snowflakey enough to think it worth being an issue.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

This section is quite interesting.  He didn't want to take the fall for the Ranson appeal, then why did he approve it? 

Why was the decision political rather than operational?  Does that imply it came from comin rather than the department?

Screenshot_2023-02-28-17-19-42-53_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

two weeks off with stress... WTAF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

This is another quote from the above document, and is an excerpt from Hansard 15 November 2022:

"And where was the Chief Minister’s integrity when I brought to his attention
allegations of bullying? Where was the Chief Minister’s integrity when I brought
mistakes made within the Department? Where was the Chief Minister’s integrity
when I brought behavioural problems with my Department Members?"

The resignations were in about May last year, and Callister was appointed Minister in September. So I assume he was telling Cannan about bullying problems in the dept. after that time. So what is the deal here? Has Cannan decided that there is no bullying problem, or is it just another irrelevant problem to be ignored?

I hate to defend Cannan, but after Rob's rant he referred it to Tynwald standards. Who commissioned this independent report, listened to Rob's evidence and found no evidence that he'd been bullied. But did find evidence that he had behaved badly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

From what I can tell from the report Heywood was reacting to Rob's behaviour. She has accepted the finding and agreed to reflect on her choice of words in future. 

What's noticeable is that it was Rob's allegation that Heywood and the other members bullied him that prompted this investigation and this is all it amounts to - one word in the heat of the moment. No criticism of Faragher, none of August-Henson despite him making specific allegations about her treatment of a staff member that the staff member didn't have a problem with. 

If he'd recognised the need to behave differently earlier - he'd still be minister. If he resigned quietly or not made wild unfounded allegations when sacked - he wouldn't have to apologise to Tynwald. 

Sounds like he didn’t like being asked questions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Some parts of that document make me wonder which planet I am on. e.g.

"25. ....  Ms Faragher said he raised
his voice and told her “I don’t want to lose my temper today”, which sounded threatening
and was very disrespectful. Dr Haywood described the comment as “extremely
intimidating”. "

"26. Mr Callister explained that he made the remark calmly, quietly and in a measured way after
a considerable period of inappropriate behaviour by the political Members. "

"29. I am of the view that Mr Callister did behave inappropriately towards Ms Faragher in making
a threat that he would lose his temper"

Over the decades I have attended many meetings, some of which might be termed formal meetings. Most were ok, but sometimes tempers got frayed. But to consider the phrase “I don’t want to lose my temper" as “extremely intimidating” is laughable.

Callister might be a pain in the neck, but really...

How about referring back to the way Ranson was treated by the KC? How about if the standard adopted by the KC towards her was the standard adopted by every member of the public when addressing a civil servant or a politician?  By the end of the day just about everyone on the receiving end would be off sick with stress.

When you have a CS full of snowflakes, what do you expect?

• Like 2

Just for a bit of balance are we to believe that civil servants were so paralyzed with fear by Rob Callister MHK that they took two weeks off on the sick to recover, and that one was also constantly packing and unpacking their desk? All over a period of 50 odd days of his reign of apparent terror? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4