Rob Callister

La Colombe

6 hours ago, Declan said:

If you think about it though, in a normal workplace, would Rob have been sacked? Or would his manager given him a warning about how he speaks to people and maybe some advice?

Maybe, it wouldn't have been effective, given Rob's extreme case of reflexive denial but Cannon hasn't played a blinder here.

Anyway, back to topic, these questions get to the heart of the matter.  Because what has been missed from most discussion is that this isn't really about Callister or the Departmental members, but the behaviour of Cannan.  It was Cannan who, rather than defending his actions, referred the whole thing to Tynwald.  And the Standards and Member's Interests Committee in their turn chickened out and asked an outsider to make their decision for them (which they didn't in the case of Houghton).

Now whenever people bring in an outside consultant, it's basically so they can get someone to tell them what they want to hear.  And in this case no one (except Rob) wants to hear that Cannan over-reacted and shouldn't have sacked him, instead doing some basic personnel management to find out what was going on and reconcile the Minister and DMs. No one ever admits they have made a mistake in Manx government.

10 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I see Joney Faragher has now been on giving her side of things. It's all utterly tragic, our government just seems to be full of wet lettuces

Here is her FB text

The last few months have been very difficult.

I have refrained from commenting, firstly because I felt that was the right thing to do, but also because once it was referred as an investigation we were duty-bound to do so. But I feel I should set the record straight for the people who voted for me, as the commentary seems to become increasingly hostile. At all times, my choices and actions were informed by doing the right thing by the people of the island.

It became apparent quite quickly after Mr Callister’s appointment that I would not be able to work with him effectively and retain my dignity and integrity as an elected representative. I resigned. I chose not to outline my reasons; this was out of a sense of professionalism and the desire to work effectively in wider issues in future.and protect the Department from negative commentary. The Chief Minister did not accept my resignation, being off-island. There ensued a series of meetings that made all Department members realise that the issues went very deep and that we had to act further to protect the Department. Deciding to act upon wrong-doing is harder than standing by, but ethics make demands of us and I was not able to turn a blind eye.

The Chief Minister reviewed the information he was given, and made the choice that a new minister would be the best option given all the circumstances.

In the November sitting of Tynwald court, Mr Callister made allegations against other politicians and departmental staff. The committee were deciding a way forward, when Mr Callister submitted a file to the Tynwald Standards committee, detailing complaints about the circumstances leading up to his dismissal.

It has been very challenging having to see the commentary around this. Amongst the committee's findings is the comment that Mr Callister failed to cooperate with the investigation, and made repeated public comments. For this and other things he is required to apologise to Tynwald court, but perhaps the damage is already done.

A lot of the wider commentary on this has revolved around making myself and the other two department members out to be ‘witches’ who conspired to cause harm. Maybe I shouldn’t have been - but I was surprised to see this in public commentary.

The independent investigation was undertaken by someone who lives off-island, with a background of working in political settings in a small jurisdiction and of dealing with grievance issues in the workplace. I consider it to be a thorough and fair process, with both political members and departmental staff being interviewed to gather evidence.

The investigation concluded that no allegations against me were upheld.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It was Cannan who, rather than defending his actions, referred the whole thing to Tynwald.  And the Standards and Member's Interests Committee in their turn chickened out and asked an outsider to make their decision for them (which they didn't in the case of Houghton).

I think this was the right thing to do. If he didn't know what Callister was made of before he appointed him to CoMIN then he certainly found out soon enough. An independent off Island enquiry was probably the only way to be sure of the facts, and, more importantly, to be sure Callister accepted them. Well, that went well didn't it - but still - it was the right thing to do.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Occam's razor. Sometimes the most simple solution is the correct one.

Occam’s Razor: not a popular concept on this forum, FB, Twitter or any other social media construct.   If you can’t build a conspiracy theory, where’s the fun?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

I see Joney Faragher has now been on giving her side of things. It's all utterly tragic, our government just seems to be full of wet lettuces

Is she one of the Witches of Douglas East(wick)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Aye, you're right, but I had to say something. It's unbelievable to me how folks ignore all previous behaviour and instead choose to go down the most unlikely route.

Indeed.  You could maybe put a bit of credence into his protestations if it happened once.  But not over and over again. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Weliveinhope said:

I think one could be forgiven for taking any government inquiry with a pinch of salt. After all, this department in particular are grand masters at the art of bullying if reports are to be believed. What a shambles this government truly is.

I think there are issues and clashes of egos and personalities with some MHKs and I think this is very much in evidence. After all, Joney Faragher says she had issues with the then Minister, presumably there was a clash of personalities, within the Keys and Tynpotwald. What a fiasco, and really speaks volumes as to teamworking, and cooperation with each other, for the common good.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1