Rob Callister

La Colombe

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Aye, you're right, but I had to say something. It's unbelievable to me how folks ignore all previous behaviour and instead choose to go down the most unlikely route.

I just want to clarify I believe the report and that Rob is in the wrong but for it still to be going on now and claimd and counter claims being thrown around when there are more pressing issues to be looked at just sums this government up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A real shitshow of epic proportions. If Rob Callister can’t work with people, as is implied, or there have been issues, it makes you wonder over his membership of the DOI and being Mr TT, King of the Paddock Selfies. If he really was totally useless in those departments, or their personality issues, surely he wouldn’t have lasted? Especially during the reigns of Harmer and Baker? Also under previous Ministers of the Starship Enterprise. I’m not a great fan of Rob Callister, and sadly he has made mistakes, of which he should have kept his mouth shut, swallowed the shit, eaten many helpings of humble pie until it things blown over - he would have been given a Department membership again. He is the sacrificial lamb, because the CM Cannan can’t organise his COMIN properly, and also has terrible people management skills. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

A real shitshow of epic proportions. If Rob Callister can’t work with people, as is implied, or there have been issues, it makes you wonder over his membership of the DOI and being Mr TT, King of the Paddock Selfies. If he really was totally useless in those departments, or their personality issues, surely he wouldn’t have lasted? Especially during the reigns of Harmer and Baker? Also under previous Ministers of the Starship Enterprise. I’m not a great fan of Rob Callister, and sadly he has made mistakes, of which he should have kept his mouth shut, swallowed the shit, eaten many helpings of humble pie until it things blown over - he would have been given a Department membership again. He is the sacrificial lamb, because the CM Cannan can’t organise his COMIN properly, and also has terrible people management skills. 

In DOI he was allowed to get away with murder because Baker was terrified that if he was outside the department he would keep asking really painful questions about the prom. The same pub talk said he was an absolute bell-end

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

This is a man who will take anyone down to save his own skin. He's always done it. It's always been the fault of someone else.

The above is indicative of the whole of Govt though, from top to bottom. It exists only to serve and preserve itself and also ensures that new entrants are quickly endowed with the culture.

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, english zloty said:

In DOI he was allowed to get away with murder because Baker was terrified that if he was outside the department he would keep asking really painful questions about the prom. The same pub talk said he was an absolute bell-end

Man management!  Appalling at all levels. Baker could have raised areas of concerns. Bellend - which one, both are in all honesty. 

• Like 1

Saint Joney has been on the NPM , saying they were portrayed as witches, and giving her version. 

Overall whilst it can be argued and agreed that Rob Callister was out of his depth, and had many faults and foibles. Sadly Joney Faragher and the others to some may not be perceived as team players and they have many issues, characteristics and egos as well.  If Joney Faragher was ever made a Minister (if things are that desperate) I really hope her people skills are up to the task, and if her department members have faults, her coaching and possible dispute resolution skills come to the fore. Incidentally I thought Joney Faragher would have more compassion, and is able to see if there are issues, and successfully problem solve. Im afraid she is interested in political infighting, and back stabbing. Rob Callister wasn’t perfect, but this whole report looks like nobody can say anything for fear of causing offence, upset, fear or discrimination. Would Joney Faragher challenge behaviours or actions within the department or say nothing - it’s not my place attitude or let’s not rock the boat? 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

Yes this is definitely 1,000 plus words of not giving any sort of media interview:

Rob Callister, MHK - Onchan Constituent Statement - DHSC Investigation 

Onchan Constituents may or may not be aware that the Chief Minister, Alf Cannan, MHK referred my dismissal as the Health and Social Care Minister to the Tynwald Standards and Members’ Interests Committee back in November 2022. 

Today the findings of that investigation have been published, and unfortunately I have been found to have breached Tynwald standards of conduct on three separate occasions.  

I enclose a link to the Committee report that also includes the independent investigation, which makes difficult reading for me personally, and I know it will make difficult reading for my family, friends and more importantly for many of my constituents in Onchan, especially when my integrity as a publicly elected Member of the House of Keys is now being seriously questioned.  

https://www.tynwald.org.im/spfile?src=cots12&file=/business/opqp/sittings/20212026/2023-PP-0032.pdf

One of the breaches relates to my appearance on Manx Radio’s “Mannin Line” on 12th December 2022. Although I restricted my comments around information that was already in the public domain, the Tynwald Standards and Members’ Interest Committee felt I failed to co-operate with the investigation by appearing on the programme.   

As a publicly elected Member of the House of Keys I felt it was very important that I honoured the re-scheduled appointment that was organised very early on in October/ November, and well before any formal investigation was undertaken. 

Another one of the conclusions from within the investigation report says that I did not act in a manner consistent with the principle of honesty, which is deeply upsetting for me personally, and one that I absolutely refute.  

Again, I am happy to put in writing that at no time did I ever say to a civil servant that all the political members wished for that individual to consider their position within the department of Health and Social Care. 

Over the past six years I have probably worked in more Government Departments than most current Members of Tynwald, and therefore I am fully aware of the protocols and procedures expected when working alongside civil servants.  

Even when those relationships have become strained and difficult due to the nature of the role we undertake as publicly elected members from time to time, at no point would I ever get involved in any employment or disciplinary issue concerning a member of staff. 

I did write formally to the Tynwald Standards and Members’ Interest Committee on 18th February 2023 appealing to the Committee to look again at this particular part of the report and its final conclusions, but that request appears to have been declined. 

I also have serious concerns that a single line that may or may not have been said in a private discussion between senior civil servants and their Minister, in which no minutes or notes were taken, has been taken completely out of context.  

The Government Code is very clear when it says that “confidence is the indispensable foundation of a good relationship between Ministers and Civil Servants”. 

I don’t believe I was given sufficient time as the Minister to build that good working relationship with the most senior civil servants within the Department of Health and Social Care.  

The findings of this report also means that Ministers in the future might not be able to talk so openly with senior civil servants, and for me personally that is extremely concerning because Government Departments are having to make difficult decisions every single day. 

Therefore Ministers should be able to express their serious concerns and reservations with senior civil servants when looking at impossible or very difficult situations, as I found myself in just five days into my new role as the Health and Social Care Minister.  

In respect of the options available to me as a Member of the House Keys, I have had several conversations with the Office of Human Resources (Public Service Commission), in order to consider a full investigation into the comments made by individual civil servant(s) from within the Department of Health and Social Care, but any further  investigation will take time, and unfortunately it will not stop the Tynwald Standards and Members’ Interests Committee from presenting its report to Tynwald next month. 

As a constituency MHK I am not entirely sure how many times over the past 6 years I have encouraged constituents to try and find a way forward, especially when I can see that a particular grievance is consuming them, and on this occasion I have to take my own advice on board, to try and find a way forward.

I did also ask the Tynwald Standards and Members’ Interests Committee if I could provide my Tynwald colleagues with a full copy of my own evidence to the investigation, in order for Members to make their own judgement ahead of the debate in March, but that request was declined.   

The Committee have informed me that all evidence submitted is the property of the Committee, which I have to respect or else I will find myself in contempt of Tynwald Court once again. 

Personally I would be very happy for all of my evidence to be put into the public domain, because I know the evidence I’ve given to this investigation is fair, balanced, open and honest.  

When the report is laid before Tynwald next month I could also ask for each breach of the Tynwald Standards of Conduct to be voted on separately, but that would be putting my Tynwald colleagues in an impossible position, especially when I know they haven’t had sight of the full facts of this investigation. 

I could also refuse to apologise in Tynwald next month, especially when I am being asked to apologise for something I know that I didn’t say. Unfortunately, that course of action would simply implement a suspension from Tynwald, which would remain in place until I was prepared to apologise in a manner acceptable to the President of Tynwald

It has been an incredibly difficult few months and I genuinely want to thank everyone for their continuing support, but I have now exhausted all available options.  

I have also been asked not to undertake any personal media interviews until after the debate and the vote in Tynwald next month, which I am happy to respect. 

In closing, I want to reassure Onchan constituents and the wider Manx Community that I have been nothing less than 100% open, honest and transparent in everything I have ever done over the past 10 years, and without fear or favour, both on a local and national platform on behalf of those that put their trust in me. 

Thank you for your support.  

Rob Callister, MHK

In other words he will apologise so as to keep his job, idiot of a man. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Beyond Belief said:

A frightening realisation is that we still have over 3½ years left with this administration, what further damage can we expect from them.    

Anyone who works in government knows the bullying and corrupt behaviour that goes on every day. For what it’s worth this report shows that not one MHK is going to do anything about the corrupt behaviour of civil servants and the pack animal instincts they have to see off any attempt to rock the status quo. That’s why hardly any current MHK has achieved anything so far as the civil service basically decide what’s going on. And if they don’t like you or what they’re being asked to do, they’ll round on people like this and see them off. We’re now just a bankrupt state being run for the benefit of our own civil service who will take the pennies off our eyes at the grave if it gives them two more pennies to spend themselves. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

Didn’t former MHK John Houghton fall foul of Tynwald Standards? Yes, he is an idiot ……….. Onchans idiot. Apologise and move on ……… it’s becoming too much of another shitshow. Still he loves his Tynpotwald preparations, printing reams of order papers and reports, perhaps he will print his standards report on gold paper, and he can file it for posterity. 

57 minutes ago, Holte End said:

You can't earn £70K a year stacking shelves, too right he will apologise, he is not that much of an idiot, just a hypocrite.

Bet he never earned that amount working for the Louis Group? 

42 minutes ago, Beyond Belief said:

A frightening realisation is that we still have over 3½ years left with this administration, what further damage can we expect from them.    

I was talking to a farmer while at work yesterday, they seem to be overseeing the destruction of our farming community.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

If he had a shred of decency, he'd refuse and walk... We all know he won't though

2 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

Well who wouldn’t?.
The world and his wife knows that his apology is being forced upon him.

A forced apology is no apology at all. So he can make it securely knowing that everyone can see it for what it is.

• Thanks 1