Rob Callister

La Colombe

22 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's bizarre she seems to have been the least inflammatory person involved. 

There does not appear to be any evidence that she behaved at all inappropriately. There is, on the other hand some evidence that RC has, yet he still retains a level of support nothing about him appears to justify. That is truly bizarre. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, joebean said:

There does not appear to be any evidence that she behaved at all inappropriately. There is, on the other hand some evidence that RC has, yet he still retains a level of support nothing about him appears to justify. That is truly bizarre. 

Joney appears to have been the only one behaving like an adult in this situation.

The mlc lady seems to have escaped criticism.  She asked someone to leave a meeting in a rude manner because she has history with them?  Is that ok in the work place?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Joney appears to have been the only one behaving like an adult in this situation.

The mlc lady seems to have escaped criticism.  She asked someone to leave a meeting in a rude manner because she has history with them?  Is that ok in the work place?

According to Rob. According to the report the member of staff was asked to leave because the meeting was moving onto subject matters that didn't concern their role, the MLC says she has no issue with the staff member, and the staff member didn't notice anything untoward in the exchange. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's bizarre she seems to have been the least inflammatory person involved. 

Except it was Faragher's offered resignation that seems to have triggered off Callister's sacking.  Of course when Callister resigned as a DM when under Beacroft, that didn't cause her sacking.

Cannan was clearly unhappy with having to appoint Callister in the first place, I suspect, and might have been looking for an excuse to get rid of him.  The CM may have a problem coping with anyone who isn't from his social class.  But of course it just made Cannan look daft for appointing him in the first place and hoping that Callister would go quietly and stay cooperative was always going to backfire.

16 minutes ago, Declan said:

According to Rob. According to the report the member of staff was asked to leave because the meeting was moving onto subject matters that didn't concern their role, the MLC says she has no issue with the staff member, and the staff member didn't notice anything untoward in the exchange. 

That's not quite how I read it:

12. Miss August-Hanson provided me with a detailed account of the incident. She said that the civil servant was asked to leave the meeting because subsequent items under consideration did not relate to that individual, which was a routine way of conducting business. She said that her relationship with the civil servant was entirely professional, that there had not been ill-feeling between them, and that the civil servant in question did not consider that they had been treated inappropriately. The senior civil servant who was notified of the incident corroborated Miss August-Hanson’s account

So August-Hanson and a "senior civil servant who was notified of the incident" (and so presumably wasn't there to witness it) say there wasn't a problem but the actual civil servant involved doesn't seem to have been asked.  Which is odd if you think about it.

Again it's the sort of workplace misunderstanding that would have been sorted out with an informal apology later in any sort of healthy working environment.  But we know that's not a description of the DHSC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, buncha wankas said:

In other words he will apologise so as to keep his job, idiot of a man. 

He literally cannot help himself. A 2000 word statement on Facebook when told that he should not say anything to the media. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's not quite how I read it:

12. Miss August-Hanson provided me with a detailed account of the incident. She said that the civil servant was asked to leave the meeting because subsequent items under consideration did not relate to that individual, which was a routine way of conducting business. She said that her relationship with the civil servant was entirely professional, that there had not been ill-feeling between them, and that the civil servant in question did not consider that they had been treated inappropriately. The senior civil servant who was notified of the incident corroborated Miss August-Hanson’s account

So August-Hanson and a "senior civil servant who was notified of the incident" (and so presumably wasn't there to witness it) say there wasn't a problem but the actual civil servant involved doesn't seem to have been asked.  Which is odd if you think about it.

Again it's the sort of workplace misunderstanding that would have been sorted out with an informal apology later in any sort of healthy working environment.  But we know that's not a description of the DHSC.

Para 12 is exactly what Declan summarises. The incident referred to in para 12 was the alleged (by RC) harsh exchange between TA-H and the unnamed senior civil servant.

Anyone who criticizes a woman is labeled a misogynist on Manx Forums.   Men are practically crucified by members but suggest anything amiss about a woman and you are labeled a misogynist believe me I know and in my case nothing could be further from the truth.    My view is everyone should be treated equally whatever sex they are and apparently there are 73 to choose from.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Venus said:

but is he talking about Rob Callister, who made the bulling claims? 

Having worked in the toxic environment of the Manx civil service I’d say that people like Callister generally aren’t the real bullies. There are often people who join from the private sector who come in as senior managers and who quickly get frustrated with the fact that nobody wants to do anything and that nobody cares what they say or do as, well, nobody cares they just want to get paid for doing the bare minimum that’s required of them. Then the department cliques start forming and the accusations start to be made and the next minute the manager is pedaled out elsewhere as “nobody can work for them” or they have “bullied” subordinates which is often civil service speak for they just don’t like to be told to do something by someone who wants to achieve something because they don’t have to because they work for government. On this basis I’d say Callister was just a fool and an idealist who thought he might actually achieve something for a brief moment in time. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Para 12 is exactly what Declan summarises. The incident referred to in para 12 was the alleged (by RC) harsh exchange between TA-H and the unnamed senior civil servant.

It's an odd way to describe it in that case.  Why not just say "The civil servant involved says they were not offended".  Of course it could still be argued that they would say that if they wanted to keep things smooth at work, but it would make the situation clearer.

The whole incident is a bit odd in any case as if August-Hanson asked someone to leave, you would assume that was because she was chairing the meeting, in which case why was Callister there?  But having meetings seems to the DHSC's main activity anyway.

Which leads us to the unanswered question at the heart of all this.  Why does the DHSC have so many political members in the first place?  It only employs about 40 people now, but seems to require four politicians to engage with them - as many as when they employed literally thousands.  You could reduce it to a single Minister without there being any loss and that would certainly cut down on the personality clashes.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Anyone who criticizes a woman is labeled a misogynist on Manx Forums.   Men are practically crucified by members but suggest anything amiss about a woman and you are labeled a misogynist believe me I know and in my case nothing could be further from the truth.    My view is everyone should be treated equally whatever sex they are and apparently there are 73 to choose from.   

Not anyone. There are some on here who are especially aggressive to women politicians and make their gender a feature of the criticisms. What's calling them witches if not a gender-specific attack?

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I think there's a slight distinction between what I wrote and paragraph 12. I wrote that the civil servant said she wasn't impacted, when I think the reality was a senior civil servant who spoke to her said that she said that she wasn't bothered. The report's author didn't confirm with her directly. 

18 minutes ago, Declan said:

Not anyone. There are some on here who are especially aggressive to women politicians and make their gender a feature of the criticisms. What's calling them witches if not a gender-specific attack?

Before you jump on your high horse again, you do know men can be called witches as well...

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Venus said:

but is he talking about Rob Callister, who made the bulling claims? I doubt it, considering what a nasty misogynist Juan Turner shows himself to be almost constantly on FB.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/dhsc-members-deny-bullying-claims-572766

I guess it's just a general spot on summary of both mhk's and civil servants. Wet wipes describe them perfectly...