Rob Callister

La Colombe

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I would suggest you revisit this thread and read some of the stuff RC has posted in the past.  I would also suggest you google him and discover his track record in government thus far.

All this thread does is seem to insult Rob Callister at every opportunity. It seems hardly representative of anything. In my experience with government the worse bullies are likely to be the ones pulling the strings with personnel and claiming they’re going to have to take another week off sick again as their manager is bullying them and it’s affecting their mental health. Awful devious people who will do anything to get their own way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Catrisk said:

All this thread does is seem to insult Rob Callister at every opportunity. It seems hardly representative of anything. In my experience with government the worse bullies are likely to be the ones pulling the strings with personnel and claiming they’re going to have to take another week off sick again as their manager is bullying them and it’s affecting their mental health. Awful devious people who will do anything to get their own way. 

thanks Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Catrisk said:

I’m sure there is some truth in this

It's time the Lt. Governor was brought back to Chair COMIN along with re-establishing the Chief Secretary's proper role as head of the CS. This ministerial system has gotten out of control. No one appears to be in charge or capable of instilling discipline for the elected or the executive.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's time the Lt. Governor was brought back to Chair COMIN along with re-establishing the Chief Secretary's proper role as head of the CS. This ministerial system has gotten out of control. No one appears to be in charge or capable of instilling discipline for the elected or the executive.

We already have one of the red trouser brigade making a pigs ear of it, adding another Rupert into the equation isn't going to solve it.

The mhks are too busy having jollies on the electric bus and planning how to spin a 50+ million investment in new buses whilst pleading poverty.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, cissolt said:

We already have one of the red trouser brigade making a pigs ear of it, adding another Rupert into the equation isn't going to solve it.

The mhks are too busy having jollies on the electric bus and planning how to spin a 50+ million investment in new buses whilst pleading poverty.

It makes them look important, and gives the impression of being in charge, but I’ll be surprised if the decision to get the electric bus hasn’t already been made. IOMG and the likes of Minister Thomas want to show off their green credentials. You can be assured that once money is spent, the infrastructure won’t be in place to support the vehicles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cissolt said:

Who's the "one of the red trouser brigade" then?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Catrisk said:

He has behaved awfully, so it's hardly surprsing. What is surprising is that the outcome of the report, which finds him guilty as charged, still results in slurs against the entire of everyone else involved. 

Rob Calliister has been shown to have bevahved inappropriately at the very least, rocking around the place like a bull in a china shop, making them all feel like their positions were at risk.  So much so that he is going to have to apologise or risk suspension without pay. The 4 members and all the civil servants in the department that were interviewed for this investigation, all attested to this behaviour from the then minister, if you read the report. 

That some people still find it hard to accept this outcome and think it must be everyone else that is the problem smacks of bias against both civil servants and women. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Venus said:

He has behaved awfully, so it's hardly surprsing. What is surprising is that the outcome of the report, which finds him guilty as charged, still results in slurs against the entire of everyone else involved. 

Rob Calliister has been shown to have bevahved inappropriately at the very least, rocking around the place like a bull in a china shop, making them all feel like their positions were at risk.  So much so that he is going to have to apologise or risk suspension without pay. The 4 members and all the civil servants in the department that were interviewed for this investigation, all attested to this behaviour from the then minister, if you read the report. 

That some people still find it hard to accept this outcome and think it must be everyone else that is the problem smacks of bias against both civil servants and women. 

Thanks Joney

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

59 minutes ago, Venus said:

Rob Calliister has been shown to have bevahved inappropriately at the very least, rocking around the place like a bull in a china shop, making them all feel like their positions were at risk.  So much so that he is going to have to apologise or risk suspension without pay.

In my experience almost anyone who comes into IOM Government with a private sector hat on (you’re here to work, I’m here to change things) gets treated exactly the same as seems to have happened here. They just round on them and cause problems for them and people just ring in sick as they ‘can’t cope’ and then some weak manager caves in and something gets done about it. I’m amazed to see the other MHKs and the MLC supporting what seems to me to be basic civil service insubordination. In terms of the CS saying we don’t like this person we’re going to make up a load of stuff to take to personnel and then we’re to have them removed or we’re going to kick up a bigger fuss. It happens almost every time. Same with poor Dr Ranson. Bullied out by her own colleagues for trying to change things.

Edited by Catrisk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I wouldn’t disagree that some private sector people have been forced out by IOM government or more usually chosen to leave.  

having read the report it does sound like Rob was completely out of his depth rather than someone coming in and trying to change a culture…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catrisk said:

In my experience almost anyone who comes into IOM Government with a private sector hat on (you’re here to work, I’m here to change things) gets treated exactly the same as seems to have happened here. They just round on them and cause problems for them and people just ring in sick as they ‘can’t cope’ and then some weak manager caves in and something gets done about it. I’m amazed to see the other MHKs and the MLC supporting what seems to me to be basic civil service insubordination. In terms of the CS saying we don’t like this person we’re going to make up a load of stuff to take to personnel and then we’re to have them removed or we’re going to kick up a bigger fuss. It happens almost every time. Same with poor Dr Ranson. Bullied out by her own colleagues for trying to change things.

Therein lies the problem, pray tell where in the private sector would you find political intervention, from someone who isn't there to run the business, but stupidly thinks he is. 

9 hours ago, cissolt said:

I met and briefly worked with (the then Brigadier) Lorimer in Afghanistan in 2007. I would say that, if he was to ‘step in’ he would add massive value and provide exceptional leadership and direction. Not that I think that should happen,  but I can attest with first hand experience - from Helmand, during the most intense fighting early in the British troops presence there, he’s a very formidable and impressive ‘Rupert’. Perhaps what I’m saying is, not all Ruperts are created equal… 

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

I met and briefly worked with (the then Brigadier) Lorimer in Afghanistan in 2007. I would say that, if he was to ‘step in’ he would add massive value and provide exceptional leadership and direction. Not that I think that should happen,  but I can attest with first hand experience - from Helmand, during the most intense fighting early in the British troops presence there, he’s a very formidable and impressive ‘Rupert’. Perhaps what I’m saying is, not all Ruperts are created equal… 

I've not had the honour myself, but have heard exactly the same from my father (who is probably also classed as a Rupert) who is quite friendly with him based upon Arabic military histories. 

• Like 2

unfortunately  protocol does not allow him to step in  ,and it would be seen as a constitutional crisis  if he did , 

We are currently in a mess and raiding the reserves and NI fund  to balance the books  is not good government , and yet our political masters seem oblivious the the problems facing us ,  and the gravy train keeps rolling along  with complete disregard to all those struggling to live on the Isle of man , and increasing the population will only exacerbate  the problem and cost us even more money we currently don't have 

• Like 4