Rob Callister

La Colombe

8 minutes ago, Omobono said:

unfortunately  protocol does not allow him to step in  ,and it would be seen as a constitutional crisis  if he did , 

We are currently in a mess and raiding the reserves and NI fund  to balance the books  is not good government , and yet our political masters seem oblivious the the problems facing us ,  and the gravy train keeps rolling along  with complete disregard to all those struggling to live on the Isle of man , and increasing the population will only exacerbate  the problem and cost us even more money we currently don't have 

Protocol??? Wasn't it the Manx (Charlie Kerruish) who kicked the Lt Governor off COMIN, thinking they knew better (Manx solutions for Manx problems)? An outside pair of eyes and ears is not a recipe for a constitutional crisis, it's called good governance. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I've not had the honour myself, but have heard exactly the same from my father (who is probably also classed as a Rupert) who is quite friendly with him based upon Arabic military histories. 

The new governor does indeed seem to be a better quality Rupert than Alf. More involved in island life and spends more time with local folk too.

In fact I take it all back, let's bring in the governor as new supreme leader.  It has to be an improvement on the squabbling children we currently have running the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Protocol??? Wasn't it the Manx (Charlie Kerruish) who kicked the Lt Governor off COMIN, thinking they knew better (Manx solutions for Manx problems)? An outside pair of eyes and ears is not a recipe for a constitutional crisis, it's called good governance. 

Sadly though whilst you raise a good and valid point, this raises hackles with the indeginious locals, who view the Leftenant Guvunor as a) a relic of the past and b) part of the UKs hold on the island. After all, a well connected individual as Sir John Lorimar, could bring his experience in leadership, and his connections for the public good. Let’s face it, it can’t get any worse ………………. or can it? 

On IOMNP Rob Callister has pencilled an additional constituency political surgery so his constituents can express their views as to Robs forthcoming apology in Tynpotwald. Meanwhile James Corrin (who at times is a Rob Callister cheerleader) is rather scathing as to Robs stance. 

3 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The new governor does indeed seem to be a better quality Rupert than Alf. More involved in island life and spends more time with local folk too.

In fact I take it all back, let's bring in the governor as new supreme leader.  It has to be an improvement on the squabbling children we currently have running the show.

That’s what the Leftenant Guvunor should be doing, getting involved in island life. Hats off to him. After serving in the military at a high level, both as a soldier, an officer and higher up, he has probably reached the highest point in his career. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Alf only served for 5 minutes…

17 minutes ago, Steve_Christian said:

Alf only served for 5 minutes…

Alf will get his gong at the end of his term in office, I can’t see him standing for MHK again. In all honesty, I’ve heard stories/rumours of his conduct and circumstances and they aren’t what you would expect. I’m sure the LG is above reproach and has a high standard of morals and behaviour, in both his professional and private life. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Catrisk said:

In my experience almost anyone who comes into IOM Government with a private sector hat on (you’re here to work, I’m here to change things) gets treated exactly the same as seems to have happened here. They just round on them and cause problems for them and people just ring in sick as they ‘can’t cope’ and then some weak manager caves in and something gets done about it. I’m amazed to see the other MHKs and the MLC supporting what seems to me to be basic civil service insubordination. In terms of the CS saying we don’t like this person we’re going to make up a load of stuff to take to personnel and then we’re to have them removed or we’re going to kick up a bigger fuss. It happens almost every time. Same with poor Dr Ranson. Bullied out by her own colleagues for trying to change things.

This was my personal experience 10 years ago and from what I know from friends on the island it is still the same - The CS/PS  has not got better, only worse

Especially worse since Covid as they can "work" at home and don't even need to try and look like they are doing anything.

The island will come very unstuck in the very* near future  because of this massive CS/PS payroll that stifle private enterprise.

Please mark my words and quote me in the near future.....

*Spending £150 million + a year taken from your "reserves" to balance the books on the basis that the island will attract another 15,000 residents is reckless to say the least.

Remember your Treasury Minister is a Doctor, so has been a public sector employee all his working life - No private enterprise experience AT ALL....

• Like 5

On 3/2/2023 at 1:56 PM, Catrisk said:

Simply not true. The actual worst bullies in government are the cowards who round on people like this and use internal policies and processes and silly accusations that have to be investigated to ensure these sort of people get kicked out. The other MHKs in this report and the civil servants referred to are simply playing from the standard civil service play book. Oh I’m offended, oh you’re not respecting my dignity, you’re making me feel unsafe. IOM Government is full of these nasty little nests of sniping vipers out to cause trouble for anyone who they don’t like or who asks them to do anything they don’t like. That’s all this report confirms to me. 

OHR are a gaggle of mates who are the biggest incompetent bullies that generate the culture of fear in civil service.  They are not OHR they are MACs = management A… covers. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Remember your Treasury Minister is a Doctor, so has been a public sector employee all his working life - No private enterprise experience AT ALL....

The man who says that the £20 million for smart meters will not cost the consumer a penny because Manx Utilities "will pick up the tab".

The man who is a great supporter of Bromley Martin's marina project - who did not have the basic business sense to spend 5 minutes doing an Internet check of Bromley Martin's background.

7 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The man who is a great supporter of Bromley Martin's marina project - who did not have the basic business sense to spend 5 minutes doing an Internet check of Bromley Martin's background.

Well he does own a pair of yellow wellies!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

OHR are a gaggle of mates who are the biggest incompetent bullies that generate the culture of fear in civil service.  They are not OHR they are MACs = management A… covers. 

Yes you’ve clearly had experience too. Normally you’d expect a HR department in the private sector to support someone being bullied, not add some extra bullying in on top just for good measure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

It's time the Lt. Governor was brought back to Chair COMIN along with re-establishing the Chief Secretary's proper role as head of the CS. This ministerial system has gotten out of control. No one appears to be in charge or capable of instilling discipline for the elected or the executive.

Actually the LG never chaired CoMin and stopped chairing its predecessor the Executive Council in 1980.  Unless Tynwald was completely suspended as happened with the Turks and Caicos, there's no way that any LG is going to involve themself in running the government.  And hypocritical as current UK politicians are, I doubt even they would suspend our lot for corruption, unless there was something in particular they wanted to loot.

39 minutes ago, Catrisk said:

Yes you’ve clearly had experience too. Normally you’d expect a HR department in the private sector to support someone being bullied, not add some extra bullying in on top just for good measure. 

That's exactly what you wouldn't expect an HR department to do.  In either private or public sector.  The purpose of HR departments is to make sure that the company is protected, not the employee.  That's why they are paid by the employer not the employees.  If you want someone to support you against the organisation, join a Union.

The clues in the name Human Resources.  People are seen as disposable, as resources always are.  At best HR departments just make soothing noises so the gullible don't all leave or strike.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1