Rob Callister

La Colombe

51 minutes ago, Catrisk said:

Yes you’ve clearly had experience too. Normally you’d expect a HR department in the private sector to support someone being bullied, not add some extra bullying in on top just for good measure. 

Edited - Roger said it better. 

Edited by Roxanne

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's exactly what you wouldn't expect an HR department to do.  In either private or public sector.  The purpose of HR departments is to make sure that the company is protected, not the employee.  That's why they are paid by the employer not the employees.  If you want someone to support you against the organisation, join a Union.

The clues in the name Human Resources.  People are seen as disposable, as resources always are.  At best HR departments just make soothing noises so the gullible don't all leave or strike.

But there is a difference between HR in the public sector and private sector, or should be.  HR in the public sector should be conducting its role under the Nolan Principles, (yes, I know).  They are not there to protect either side, but to be scrupulous in fair dealing.  After all, they do not have an avaricious shareholder to protect. 

• Thanks 1

I would add, that the role is as much to instil good governance as anything else.  Not to hide bad practice.  At the end of the day, they have a pivotal role in making sure that the human side of government operates correctly,  not to duck claims for bad practices, but to identify them and root them out. 

They are not there to protect government, but to ensure all individuals behave correctly in accordance with a public service ethos. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Remember your Treasury Minister is a Doctor, so has been a public sector employee all his working life - No private enterprise experience AT ALL....

I stand to be corrected if I’m wrong (wrighty?) - but I thought GPs contracted their services to the DHSC, ie, they are NOT strictly public sector employees (unlike hospital staff, for example)…

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually the LG never chaired CoMin and stopped chairing its predecessor the Executive Council in 1980.  Unless Tynwald was completely suspended as happened with the Turks and Caicos, there's no way that any LG is going to involve themself in running the government.  And hypocritical as current UK politicians are, I doubt even they would suspend our lot for corruption, unless there was something in particular they wanted to loot.

I know it was the Exec Council, I was using COMIN as it's the current exec body. Tynwald could do a lot worse by not inviting the LG back. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Why would the political surgery be live streamed ?   If you are interested enough you can go in person.    

I really wish he would just shut the fuck up or man up and resign as an MHK. People would have a lot more respect for him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Edited - Roger said it better. 

I’m not sure he has. There are some very good private sector HR departments who are interested in happy staff not managing employer liabilities. The same does not apply in government from my experience. Personally I wouldn’t trust a union to do anything other than what’s right for its own wider cause. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Catrisk said:

I’m not sure he has. There are some very good private sector HR departments who are interested in happy staff not managing employer liabilities. The same does not apply in government from my experience. Personally I wouldn’t trust a union to do anything other than what’s right for its own wider cause. 

Then you know nothing about unions…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Catrisk said:

Why do you keep quoting the  private sector, ffs he doesn't work in the private sector. In the private sector the C.M. couldn't have sacked Rob or sack any other Minister without justification. Rob has a chance to refute the finding and all the allegations, when it go to Tynwald. You never know Tynwald may vote not to accept the report.

7 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Why do you keep quoting the  private sector, ffs he doesn't work in the private sector. In the private sector the C.M. couldn't have sacked Rob or sack any other Minister without justification. Rob has a chance to refute the finding and all the allegations, when it go to Tynwald. You never know Tynwald may vote not to accept the report.

Thats why I cant understand Rob's ranting , the report has not been debated in Tynwald yet ,  does he expect the voters of Onchan  to storm  Tynwald buildings protesting Rob is innocent ?,  running to social media has been a significant factor in Robs downfall , there are much more important issues facing the isle of man at present , time to grow up, or get out or politics altogether 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I don’t really I was responding to others who tried to suggest OHR are just as bad as a private sector HR Dept when we all know they’re 10x worse and staggeringly incompetent in these sort of situations often making the basic situation worse by getting involved. I was just saying what happened to Callister is what happens to a lot of people with a private sector background who come into government thinking they’re going to do or change anything. They never will and they get subtly bullied out quick enough by lazy but skilled bullies who will pull every trick in the book to make sure they come unstuck.