Rob Callister

La Colombe

36 minutes ago, forestboy said:

He’ll be old one day if he is lucky and it’ll be interesting to hear his views on such people. 

I will be old, but I would not expect to have influence over a future that's not mine. If you are retired you should lose the vote. 

3 hours ago, Omobono said:

Thats why I cant understand Rob's ranting , the report has not been debated in Tynwald yet ,  does he expect the voters of Onchan  to storm  Tynwald buildings protesting Rob is innocent ?,  running to social media has been a significant factor in Robs downfall , there are much more important issues facing the isle of man at present , time to grow up, or get out or politics altogether 

One of the good things about Callister is that he's really quite dumb[1], so he tends to 'say the quiet bit out loud'.  In other words, he tends to make plain the assumptions and unsaid understandings that government operate under, rather than behaving in the approved way.  He doesn't mean to do this - he always strikes me as desperate to fit in - but when he tries and fails, he then yelps loudly that it's unfair.

In this case one unspoken rule he has broken is clearly the one that states that Ministers are supposed to have nothing to do with running their Departments or any say in what happens there.  Ministers only have the nominal responsibility; civil servants all the power.  Politicians have no rights to anything, including accurate information[2].  Any attempt to challenge this is regarded as bullying.

The accusations of bullying are particularly laughable (on both sides) in this case as we are considering the DHSC.  This is a Department that was led by Angela Murray, who the current head of Manx Care described as committing the worst bullying she had ever seen, and then by Kathryn Magson whose behaviour we all know about from the Ranson Decision.  Yet civil servants (and a Departmental Member) who managed to survive this without a whimper, appear to be reduced to quivering wrecks needing fortnights off after three weeks of Rob.  It's not really very plausible.

I have no doubt that Callister behaved clumsily and I also suspect he has problems with dealing with women in any position of power.  I don't think he has the skills to be a proper Minister, though he might be able to be the sort of pretend-y one we are expected to have on the Island, in a different position.  I don't think he's really a bully, he's certainly self-centred enough, but I think he lacks both the malice and the cunning to do so properly.   He didn't have the time to conduct the sort of sustained campaign that the worst sort of bullying requires apart from anything else and the evidence in the Report has to be pushed really hard to justify its conclusions.

[1]  Not literally obviously.  This is the Blogmeister.

[2]  Despite what you'd think, many politicians are happy with this.  They are really interested in position and all the perks that come with it, rather than power with its stresses and inherent responsibilities.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Catrisk said:

There’s no need to get so confrontational with someone who is just posting an opinion

I might respond with the same words to you.   But this is pointless, these running arguments never solve anything, more heat than light.   So I’m out.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

One of the good things about Callister is that he's really quite dumb[1], so he tends to 'say the quiet bit out loud'.  In other words, he tends to make plain the assumptions and unsaid understandings that government operate under, rather than behaving in the approved way.  He doesn't mean to do this - he always strikes me as desperate to fit in - but when he tries and fails, he then yelps loudly that it's unfair.

In this case one unspoken rule he has broken is clearly the one that states that Ministers are supposed to have nothing to do with running their Departments or any say in what happens there.  Ministers only have the nominal responsibility; civil servants all the power.  Politicians have no rights to anything, including accurate information[2].  Any attempt to challenge this is regarded as bullying.

The accusations of bullying are particularly laughable (on both sides) in this case as we are considering the DHSC.  This is a Department that was led by Angela Murray, who the current head of Manx Care described as committing the worst bullying she had ever seen, and then by Kathryn Magson whose behaviour we all know about from the Ranson Decision.  Yet civil servants (and a Departmental Member) who managed to survive this without a whimper, appear to be reduced to quivering wrecks needing fortnights off after three weeks of Rob.  It's not really very plausible.

I have no doubt that Callister behaved clumsily and I also suspect he has problems with dealing with women in any position of power.  I don't think he has the skills to be a proper Minister, though he might be able to be the sort of pretend-y one we are expected to have on the Island, in a different position.  I don't think he's really a bully, he's certainly self-centred enough, but I think he lacks both the malice and the cunning to do so properly.   He didn't have the time to conduct the sort of sustained campaign that the worst sort of bullying requires apart from anything else and the evidence in the Report has to be pushed really hard to justify its conclusions.

[1]  Not literally obviously.  This is the Blogmeister.

[2]  Despite what you'd think, many politicians are happy with this.  They are really interested in position and all the perks that come with it, rather than power with its stresses and inherent responsibilities.

Indeed and as I have said previously RC hasn't learnt the "less is more" political strategy. He always feels he has to say something, anything. And that's probably because he likes the sound of his own voice.

Outside of national politics he's a very good constituency Member, in much the same way that Quirkio was (I know a lot on here won't like to read that but I know it to be true).

3 hours ago, HiVibes said:

You might try to pick off negative comments citing they have 'skin in the game'  but get real, it is a small island of 84,000 people, we all are entitled to raise concerns about the services we use and that government is properly run, it's our present and our future. (except old people obviously, they can fuck right off.)

I will say a couple of things.

• I got a free university education - 🙂  -          I didnt, but I could have if I wanted it, I went straight to work at 16
  • I have a detached 5 bed house in a very nice area of Knaresborough
  • I am retired and have a very nice income from my previous hard work and sacrifices

Suck it up Gen Z and Millennials, you really don't know you are born.

A tip

Work hard, don't waste money on sh1t like Sky and don't waste your most valuable resource -- Your Time * (Taught to me by my very first economics teacher, which at the time I thought a silly statement but as I grew older I knew exactly what they meant)

* By wasting your time by spending it on social media like Facebook and here

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I will say a couple of things.

• I got a free university education - 🙂  -          I didnt, but I could have if I wanted it, I went straight to work at 16
  • I have a detached 5 bed house in a very nice area of Knaresborough
  • I am retired and have a very nice income from my previous hard work and sacrifices

Suck it up Gen Z and Millennials, you really don't know you are born.

A tip

Work hard, don't waste money on sh1t like Sky and don't waste your most valuable resource -- Your Time * (Taught to me by my very first economics teacher, which at the time I thought a silly statement but as I grew older I knew exactly what they meant)

* By wasting your time by spending it on social media like Facebook and here

You sound like Wolfie's father in law in Citizen Smith: ' Brand new second-hand Rover...'

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yet civil servants (and a Departmental Member) who managed to survive this without a whimper, appear to be reduced to quivering wrecks needing fortnights off after three weeks of Rob.  It's not really very plausible.

That was my whole point really. It’s totally implausible. Those who were off sick were likely doing it to add weight to false bullying claims against Mr Callister I’d bet. So why on earth they were supported by the other MHKs completely confuses me. It’s just default civil service insubordination in order to support getting rid of someone who might be asking too many questions or expecting some sort of work related output. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Catrisk said:

I asked you a genuine question as your comment was ambiguous. So no please don’t suspect I knew anything. There’s no need to get so confrontational with someone who is just posting an opinion based on years of seeing similar things happen in similar circumstances. And I repeat in most cases I’ve seen it’s the staff who are the bullies and the private sector folk get drummed out quite quickly via similar behaviour and claims. 

So what happened when you reported all of this bullying?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I have no doubt that Callister behaved clumsily and I also suspect he has problems with dealing with women in any position of power. 

If Mr Callister really does have a problem with dealing with women in any position of power, then this man has no place in government. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Passing Time said:

So what happened when you reported all of this bullying?

You don’t that’s the point as then another load of farcical things happen with OHR who are basically incompetent which make the situation even worse. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Rob’s public information blog advises us he went for a walk in Kirk Michael today.

It might be an idea for someone to look in on Alf and check he’s ok.

But can you believe he did, just because he says he did, doesn't mean he did, later he will apologise for  walking in Kirk Michael, still denying that he did, even though earlier he said he had. 

Edited by Holte End
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7