Rob Callister

La Colombe

26 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

He's now on the planning committee is this blokes aim to do every job in government?

He is the new Chair of the Planning Committee …………… for now. How long, do you think he is going to last in the job?  I hope he hasn’t made any planning errors or building mistakes with his garden/summer house, and has obtained the necessary permits to cut down trees?

Edited by 2112

• 4 weeks later...

I see Rob Callister has become the IOM answer to Micheal Winner - restaurant critic. Apparently Rob and his wife, went out for dinner on Friday night, with friends, to Bonds in Onchan. He has been posting his exploits on Facebook, and raving about his experience. I’m sure other Dining Establishments in the Locality are awaiting his arrival. Does he frequent Onchan Precinct, its cafes and takeaways? 

He is entitled to go and eat where he likes, but should be mindful, especially in these economic times that many of his constituents would like to eat out, but don’t have the disposable income. Bonds isn’t exactly light on the wallet either. 

18 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I see Rob Callister has become the IOM answer to Micheal Winner - restaurant critic. Apparently Rob and his wife, went out for dinner on Friday night, with friends, to Bonds in Onchan. He has been posting his exploits on Facebook, and raving about his experience. I’m sure other Dining Establishments in the Locality are awaiting his arrival. Does he frequent Onchan Precinct, its cafes and takeaways? 

He is entitled to go and eat where he likes, but should be mindful, especially in these economic times that many of his constituents would like to eat out, but don’t have the disposable income. Bonds isn’t exactly light on the wallet either. 

He’s obviously upgraded from the Nutty Chef! 

On 11/6/2023 at 5:57 PM, 2112 said:

He is the new Chair of the Planning Committee …………… for now. How long, do you think he is going to last in the job?  I hope he hasn’t made any planning errors or building mistakes with his garden/summer house, and has obtained the necessary permits to cut down trees?

2112 - happy to explain why I posted a comment on line about Bonds Restaurant in Onchan, especially when I’m fully aware that people are continuing to struggle in the cost of living crisis…. 

Firstly I was given the great privilege of actually opening the restaurant back in 2017/18, so I’m fully aware of the struggles of getting the place open at the time. As one of the local MHK‘s I am happy to support and promote all businesses within the constituency. 

Secondly, on Friday evening when we were in the restaurant we noticed there were not many other people dining that night. 

I don’t know if that was just a quiet night or if that was a typical evening in the restaurant, but I didn’t feel it reflected the excellent level of service and the quality of food. 

I have a reasonably good following on social media, so why not use that influence to help promote a business within my own constituency, especially when I feel it is well deserved. 

I hope you have a great Christmas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

2112 - happy to explain why I posted a comment on line about Bonds Restaurant in Onchan, especially when I’m fully aware that people are continuing to struggle in the cost of living crisis…. 

Firstly I was given the great privilege of actually opening the restaurant back in 2017/18, so I’m fully aware of the struggles of getting the place open at the time. As one of the local MHK‘s I am happy to support and promote all businesses within the constituency. 

Secondly, on Friday evening when we were in the restaurant we noticed there were not many other people dining that night. 

I don’t know if that was just a quiet night or if that was a typical evening in the restaurant, but I didn’t feel it reflected the excellent level of service and the quality of food. 

I have a reasonably good following on social media, so why not use that influence to help promote a business within my own constituency, especially when I feel it is well deserved. 

I hope you have a great Christmas. 

I think levels of attendance within hospitality is generally quiet, but it’s hardly surprising with the costs many businesses are facing, and the disposable incomes many people have. Sunday carvery dinner is expensive compared to what it used to be, so I can’t imagine lots of families going out for Sunday lunch, if potentially paying £25-30 a head, plus drinks. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I think levels of attendance within hospitality is generally quiet, but it’s hardly surprising with the costs many businesses are facing, and the disposable incomes many people have. Sunday carvery dinner is expensive compared to what it used to be, so I can’t imagine lots of families going out for Sunday lunch, if potentially paying £25-30 a head, plus drinks. 

So if someone is promoting hospitality in quiet times why criticise them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rob Callister said:

..happy to explain why I posted a comment on line about Bonds Restaurant in Onchan,

Firstly I was given the great privilege of actually opening the restaurant back in 2017/18 ..

As one of the local MHK‘s I am happy to support and promote all businesses within the constituency. 

I don’t know if that was just a quiet night or if that was a typical evening in the restaurant ..

So, you don't go and support it that often then.

1 hour ago, Rob Callister said:

53 minutes ago, 2112 said:

where are you going for carvery ?  1886 is IIRC 18 quid a head plus drinks  and i think jaks is 16 quid for the normal size portion plus drinks