Rob Callister

La Colombe

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just a thought.

If RC went out and had a crap meal would he write about that experience?

It doesn’t really bother me either way to be honest.

Who knows?

I find all these reviews people spout especially on social media to be in some cases unreliable, rather like reviews of hotels on Trip Advisor - where you have wonderful reviews with a few crap ones thrown in. Some peoples expectations and standards are very high. If a restaurant or cafe is busy, I can assume the food and service is good, and if I hear from other people who have eaten there, then I will try that establishment to make up my own mind. As for having a poor meal, slagging off the establishment isn’t really going to solve anything, as reputation will soon decline, by word of mouth. There again  poor meal is subjective. 

Callister is no longer just a man in the street. If a new business opens, it is reasonable for an MHK to say: "This is good for the community".

To promote one business, rather than all of them, seems a bit dubious for a politician. Equally so for Caine to promote one motor dealer.

A restaurant reviewer can say what they want - it is their job to discriminate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Bonds: "It's not on the menu Rob, but we can do Beans on toast for you this one time..."

They had Umbongo on tap last time I was in there. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

As someone mentioned earlier, Rob the Gob (who is no doubt scanning this MF topic every few minutes) appears to be ignoring the Government Code (my emphasis).

"Tynwald Members ... must never use the status of Member of Tynwald for any private advantage of themselves, their family or friends, or otherwise in circumstances which may be perceived as creating an unfair advantage..."

If I recall correctly, said Code has caused problems for him previously.

That's a bit pious. He's clearly writing on social media as a personal opinion, not saying "As an MHK I am telling you to eat there".  It would be ridiculous if politicians couldn't say where they had a nice meal or whatever and it's not even doing down other restaurants by suggesting people should eat out more.  By the same logic he shouldn't say anything about the TT in case it gave it an advantage over the MGP.  That's before you even consider whether a recommendation from Callister would be an advantage anyway.

As for the Government Code, we all know that the only part of it that is taken seriously is the unwritten bit that states that if politicians want an easy life, they must do whatever civil servants tell them to do without complaint.  Which was what Callister fell foul of.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's a bit pious. He's clearly writing on social media as a personal opinion, not saying "As an MHK I am telling you to eat there".  It would be ridiculous if politicians couldn't say where they had a nice meal or whatever and it's not even doing down other restaurants by suggesting people should eat out more.  By the same logic he shouldn't say anything about the TT in case it gave it an advantage over the MGP.  That's before you even consider whether a recommendation from Callister would be an advantage anyway.

As for the Government Code, we all know that the only part of it that is taken seriously is the unwritten bit that states that if politicians want an easy life, they must do whatever civil servants tell them to do without complaint.  Which was what Callister fell foul of.

I couldn't see anything in the code about complimenting a business.  

Coincidentally, a post by an MP popped up on FB yesterday highly recommending a cafe for their breakfast.  So, doesn't seem to be an issue in the UK. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I couldn't see anything in the code about complimenting a business.  

Coincidentally, a post by an MP popped up on FB yesterday highly recommending a cafe for their breakfast.  So, doesn't seem to be an issue in the UK. 

It probably just comes down to whether they are paid for it or have some other interest in the business. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

As someone mentioned earlier, Rob the Gob (who is no doubt scanning this MF topic every few minutes) appears to be ignoring the Government Code (my emphasis).

"Tynwald Members ... must never use the status of Member of Tynwald for any private advantage of themselves, their family or friends, or otherwise in circumstances which may be perceived as creating an unfair advantage..."

If I recall correctly, said Code has caused problems for him previously.

Not the smartest of moves, it has to be said.

46 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But it is his MHK page, that is the whole point, he obviously isn't the only one, where will it end, asking subscribers for their podcasts.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Is it really creating an unfair advantage?  Will it really mean more people will go to Bonds on his review, if it was a review rather than just a compliment?

Considering who it is, it would probably have the opposite effect. 

• Haha 1