Rob Callister

La Colombe

1 hour ago, Beelzebub3 said:

It is not a shite job it is an excellent job with a shite load of benefits and pay way above the average wage and what do you hear from the whingeing buggers? We have a hard job to do! we are very busy! we are always working 7 days a week! If you cant do the job do not stand in the first place. I have been reading Callister's/ Haywoods post's about the taxpayers not footing the bill, if not? who pays the £20k to the CPA do they take that out of MHK salaries?  They really do live in a bubble and a very protected one at that. F**king think we are all idiots.

Again, my words are being twisted here - I have never said that some CPA trips are not funded by the Manx Taxpayer, but there are many things that are covered and payed for by the CPA Head office in London, but it does depend on the event etc. 

The Annual Fee paid to the CPA comes out of the Clerk of Tynwald's Budget, which comes from Treasury, which comes from taxes and income etc. 

7 minutes ago, Rob Callister said:

Again, my words are being twisted here - I have never said that some CPA trips are not funded by the Manx Taxpayer, but there are many things that are covered and payed for by the CPA Head office in London, but it does depend on the event etc. 

The Annual Fee paid to the CPA comes out of the Clerk of Tynwald's Budget, which comes from Treasury, which comes from taxes and income etc. 

So in affect the funds come from the taxpayer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

It is not a shite job it is an excellent job with a shite load of benefits and pay way above the average wage and what do you hear from the whingeing buggers? We have a hard job to do! we are very busy! we are always working 7 days a week! If you cant do the job do not stand in the first place. I have been reading Callister's/ Haywoods post's about the taxpayers not footing the bill, if not? who pays the £20k to the CPA do they take that out of MHK salaries?  They really do live in a bubble and a very protected one at that. F**king think we are all idiots.

So how come no one good applies then?

• Thanks 1

So in affect the funds come from the taxpayer.

Another take on the Malta trip is that if no-one goes, is there any benefit to the £20k membership fee? 

I think what we are really talking about is the travel costs which are in addition to the membership fee.  We pay that whether or not anyone goes to any CPA conferences. 

Unless these ‘conferences’ have a direct bearing/relevance to the attendee, in their role within the political/parliamentary system, then perhaps the IOM should cease to waste any taxpayers funds, and politicians stay in the island. There is nothing stopping them attending conferences etc, during the recess, providing they use their own funds. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So how come no one good applies then?

There are plenty of good people apply but do not get voted in for all sorts of reasons, lots of chancers get in on the "local lad" vote and the "I went to school with him/her" vote. We had a good few Shopkeepers Postmen  Chemist's voted in on the popularity vote and they were f~~king useless.

27 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Unless these ‘conferences’ have a direct bearing/relevance to the attendee, in their role within the political/parliamentary system, then perhaps the IOM should cease to waste any taxpayers funds, and politicians stay in the island. There is nothing stopping them attending conferences etc, during the recess, providing they use their own funds. 

Especially when you consider that most attendees will be voted out at the next election.  Half way through the term, what value does this add to the island?

Bearing in mind only 3 back bench politicians attended the tax strategy meeting.  Too busy globe trotting to find out the details of the huge proposed tax changes?  Wonder who the 3 were?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is not a well paid job for the type of person with the ability and experience that is needed.    I don’t know anyone who has a good job in the private sector that would be even slightly interested.    The Town Clerk of Douglas City Council gets moe than that and more importantly security of tenure.  What security does a five year period as a MHK offer ?   That is why we only get chancers and people who have good intentions but are not up to the job.   Why do we vote for them ?    because there is virtually no choice it is best of bunch.    Off this comes the reluctance to stand up for anything vaguely contentious as it may lose them votes at the next election.   They do not want the public’s opinions they just want to pass the buck. If a Chief Minister had better tools to work with things would be very different and sackings and movings would not be needed.    

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rob Callister said:

As usual a “poor little me” response.

Stop dwelling on details and make some changes with direct and informed fact and integrity plus intent.

Really poor as expected 

• Like 1

There are plenty of good people apply but do not get voted in for all sorts of reasons, lots of chancers get in on the "local lad" vote and the "I went to school with him/her" vote. We had a good few Shopkeepers Postmen  Chemist's voted in on the popularity vote and they were f~~king useless.

Funny. I never noticed them, but you could be right. Do you have examples. Maybe we could promote them next time. 

• Haha 1

On 3/10/2024 at 9:35 AM, Gladys said:

The only solution I can see is true party politics.  Political parties will have clear, cohesive objectives that their candidates will commit to and voters will know they are serious about.  There will also be the support and co-ordination from the party. 

While I don't disagree, look across the Atlantic to see what party politics is setting up in the US election.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Funny. I never noticed them, but you could be right. Do you have examples. Maybe we could promote them next time. 

Am I correct in assuming you believe that the current 24 mhks are the best out of the candidates who put themselves forward or were they most popular with the voters as I have suggested because of what I said above, nothing better than a beauty contest!

20 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

It is not a well paid job for the type of person with the ability and experience that is needed.    I don’t know anyone who has a good job in the private sector that would be even slightly interested.    The Town Clerk of Douglas City Council gets moe than that and more importantly security of tenure.  What security does a five year period as a MHK offer ?   That is why we only get chancers and people who have good intentions but are not up to the job.   Why do we vote for them ?    because there is virtually no choice it is best of bunch.    Off this comes the reluctance to stand up for anything vaguely contentious as it may lose them votes at the next election.   They do not want the public’s opinions they just want to pass the buck. If a Chief Minister had better tools to work with things would be very different and sackings and movings would not be needed.    

We've got plenty of retired lawyers and accountants etc kicking about now.   All of whom have done pretty well in international business in the past and are the 'Old Statesmen' type.  Often wondered none of them seem to bother having a go.  I suppose they can't be bothered dealing with all the other simpletons voted in, or trying to battle the politiburo CS.   

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

We've got plenty of retired lawyers and accountants etc kicking about now.   All of whom have done pretty well in international business in the past and are the 'Old Statesmen' type.  Often wondered none of them seem to bother having a go.  I suppose they can't be bothered dealing with all the other simpletons voted in, or trying to battle the politiburo CS.   

Some of it is what you said above & part is they are not well known enough to local voters to get elected so the local numptys like glover , Moorhouse & crookall get in

• Thanks 1