Rob Callister

La Colombe

This is where 'Party Politics' fall apart? The Party have a manifesto, the elected MHK disagrees, believes that they are more important than the Party, Square one!!!

14 hours ago, Sheldon said:

Onchan MHK holds Facebook vote on assisted dying

Poor Rob couldn't have a proper referendum so he's made up one of his own, the big baby.

Onchan only, though, because that's where his grannies are.

image.png.de4b5aa4e44b7a0b59f070d13be88853.png

13 hours ago, Nellie said:

Hmm.......I see from the 80+ comments on his post, there are no 'votes' against the Bill. Not every comment constitutes a 'vote' but he does have aroubd 60 people in favour, and none against. That said, he actually asks for PM's so maybe they will tell a different story, but it does look as though Rob has backed himself into a corner where he'll have to vote 'yes' or come up with a very good excuse!

12 hours ago, Kopek said:

It could be said that he is consulting with his constituents or it could be that he is trying to push his own personal agenda on this Bill?

We cant deny that MHKs will have their own personal views that may be at odds with their voters? As long as they have made these opinions known at an election then they have covered their bases???

I don't follow Rob C on facebook, so I don't know if he has made his religious views known! They may be tempering his opinion?

Well at least previously l would have been given the opportunity to PM Mr Callister MHK with my views on assisted dying,  l'm now not able to as a Garth voter.

To add to the insult I have just paid my over inflated rate bills to Onchan/ Gov.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Or maybe doing the job he was voted in to do…

I get that, to an extent, but I don't think in a representational democracy people should expect their MHK to consult in such a fashion, especially after a referendum he supported on that very issue was vetoed. I also doubt whether many of his voter base expected him to be spending hours cross-checking the electoral register against every Facebook random who messages him. Surely his responsibility as a national MHK isn't solely confined to the dogshit-strewn streets of Onchan?

The good people of Onchan could save an easy £70k per year, plus expenses, if they just held a Facebook vote on every issue themselves. (If they binned Edge as well they could save double that.)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nellie said:

it does look as though Rob has backed himself into a corner where he'll have to vote 'yes' or come up with a very good excuse!

Seems Rob has failed to heed the old adage about never asking a question you don't already know the answer to.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Seems Rob has failed to heed the old adage about never asking a question you don't already know the answer to.

Robs one of those churchy types so I imagine the decision is taken out of his hands by his beliefs.

I don’t think he is the only time I have seen him in church is when there is a special occasion and he is representing Onchan as an MHK . I don’t think he is an undercover happy clapper can’t imagine that.    He is just fence sitting trying to please everybody which is impossible at any time let alone all of the time.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2024 at 3:53 PM, cissolt said:

Robs one of those churchy types so I imagine the decision is taken out of his hands by his beliefs.

Every time I read anything he writes or has reportedly said...I tend to say 'Jebus!'.

59 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Every time I read anything he writes or has reportedly said...I tend to say 'Jebus!'.

Why? I don’t understand.

But of course if you want to say “ Jebus” every time you read something he has written or reportedly said why not? 

Just seems a little odd. But It doesn’t hurt anyone I guess. You crack on.

The guy gets stick so credit where it's due. He attended onchan schools leavers assembly today now I don't think he has kids at the school and I can only assume he was invited but he turned up and stayed for the duration. I didn't see any other politicians/Commissioners there so like I say fair play to him

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The guy gets stick so credit where it's due. He attended onchan schools leavers assembly today now I don't think he has kids at the school and I can only assume he was invited but he turned up and stayed for the duration. I didn't see any other politicians/Commissioners there so like I say fair play to him

Shock, horror, politician attends local event, replete with voters / grannies. Fair play indeed.

Just now, Sheldon said:

Shock, horror, politician attends local event, replete with voters / grannies. Fair play indeed.

Sorry, I was aiming for light-hearted ribbing, but that sounds harsher than I meant.

The whole assisted dying thing must be Rob's worst nightmare. A very public vote which is going to upset constituents no matter which way he goes. Conducting a poll to see what the majority think could be viewed as democracy in action, or as cynical damage limitation. Who'd be a politician, eh?

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

I thought Tynwald had rules on what was deemed a reason for not attending the Court, The members have  to ask for leave with extenuating circumstances,  which have to be serious issue   or  Crown related matters. 

10 minutes ago, Holte End said:

I thought Tynwald had rules on what was deemed a reason for not attending the Court, The members have  to ask for leave with extenuating circumstances,  which have to be serious issue   or  Crown related matters. 

Not really - I've seen leave of absence for things like funerals of constituents.  but in any case Tynwald doesn't start till 10:00 and presumably a school assembly would be over by then.

18 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not really - I've seen leave of absence for things like funerals of constituents.  but in any case Tynwald doesn't start till 10:00 and presumably a school assembly would be over by then.

He was given permission for part of the afternoon the day before. I amazed if this is the case, what if all the members left to attend a school leavers assemblies, it would leave the MLC's to decide the Island fate. 

Edited by Holte End

1 hour ago, Holte End said:

He was given permission for part of the afternoon the day before. I amazed if this is the case, what if all the members left to attend a school leavers assemblies, it would leave the MLC's to decide the Island fate. 

What time did tynwald finish at?