Rob Callister

La Colombe

6 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Well at least he keeps his constituents in the picture which is more than can be said for some MHKs .

You mean he copies and pastes Government Press Releases sometimes before the Government release them,  Did he actually speak yesterday or was he too busy on facebook.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Well at least he keeps his constituents in the picture which is more than can be said for some MHKs .

Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool...?

I suppose there has to be a happy medium there somewhere, although very few of our elected representatives ever seem to find it.

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I would be happy to get any sort of bill from MT. Despite trying for years I don't get anything never mind through the post. They still manage to take my money though.

You should have an online account just log into that and an itemised bill is there.

30 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

You should have an online account just log into that and an itemised bill is there.

You would think so. I have been into the shop about 5 times and they have said they will get someone to check it out and nothing happens so I admit.....I gave in

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

More importantly, how much is he paying annually for those useless initials after his name? And is he claiming on MHKs expenses?

He will be able to put those professional subscriptions/trade memberships etc on his income tax return, will no doubt reduce his income tax liability.

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

He will be able to put those professional subscriptions/trade memberships etc on his income tax return, will no doubt reduce his income tax liability.

If only we had a handy blog post detailing his expenses.....

https://robcallister.im/mhks-annual-expenses/

Some interesting items, and kudos to Rob for being open about it. 

£600+ professional expenses.

£348 for government parking, be nice if they reintroduced that.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sheldon said:

Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool...?

I suppose there has to be a happy medium there somewhere, although very few of our elected representatives ever seem to find it.

I suspect it might be too late on both remaining quiet and being thought of a fool - for no questions in a year £70k  per annum - Little Bobby Onchan, that ship has well and truly sailed (no Steamy P jokes necessary).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Just to be clear, are you saying he incorrectly claims deductions on his tax return?

9 minutes ago, Thomas Dalby said:

Just to be clear, are you saying he incorrectly claims deductions on his tax return?

No.

i pay subscription yearly to a recognised trade body and I submit the invoice with the tax return. You have to provide documentation, like a proper invoice. 

Edited by 2112

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

No.

i pay subscription yearly to a recognised trade body and I submit the invoice with the tax return. You have to provide documentation, like a proper invoice. 

Ok, so we don’t know whether or not he claims deductions on his tax return which would be perfectly legal if he did

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thomas Dalby said:

Ok, so we don’t know whether or not he claims deductions on his tax return which would be perfectly legal if he did

If the subscriptions have been paid using his tax free Tynwald members expenses allowance I’m not sure about the legality of claiming to set them off and claim tax relief on them against his tax liability on his return.

The tax people publish a very useful guide on the Gov website which helps understand the professional subscription position

image.png.b21cdb8be86a7d458f6f332a50fd8d24.png

If Rob has income relevant to the letters after his name then he might be able to claim. It seems unlikely that a politician's salary is relevant income, notwithstanding any allegations made by randoms on the internet.

The Guidance is GN1 here https://www.gov.im/categories/tax-vat-and-your-money/income-tax-and-national-insurance/tax-practitioners-and-technical-information/guidance-notes/

Edited by piebaps
Missed hyperlink

45 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I thought NO members claimed expenses these days. Am I wrong?

Like all members used to pay pension contributions ... apart from John Hufftown!

Edited by Boo Gay'n
typo