Rob Callister

La Colombe

13 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Yes.

But would we necessarily know the difference?

Yes, as it would have meaning and purpose, no fence sitting. It wouldn't be able to contradict itself in the same sentence, arithmetic would not be a challenge for it doing basic mathematics, the same for basic concepts of economics. The list is endless.  We would be able to tell, without a doubt.

• Like 1

AI says: 

A Day in the Life of a Committed Public Servant – By John A. Smith, MBE, HND, DipPol, CertGov

As the sun rose over our beloved Isle, I set off for another productive day in the service of the Manx people. It’s not glamorous, but I like to think that what I do, while perhaps not celebrated in headlines, is crucial to the smooth running of our community. As a representative in the House of Keys, my role—though not always appreciated by the general public—is pivotal to the ongoing wellbeing of our island.

7:00 AM – Morning Routine My day begins as it always does, with a hearty breakfast prepared by my dear wife, Margaret (BSc, DipHous). Margaret is, of course, my bedrock—a woman of great substance and impeccable taste, who ensures I have the energy needed for the busy day ahead. After breakfast, I don my customary tie and head off to the office, thinking over today’s pressing issues: the ongoing debate over pavement maintenance and, of course, the critical matter of dog fouling in public spaces.

9:00 AM – Council Meeting on Public Spaces The first item on my agenda is a local council meeting, during which I raise the all-too-often overlooked issue of uneven pavements on North Quay. I’m sure my fellow members will agree that these small inconveniences, while perhaps not newsworthy, contribute to the deterioration of civic life. I also bring up the increasing reports of dog fouling in our beloved local parks—a subject close to my heart as a dog owner myself.

As always, I offer my considered opinion, drawing on my qualifications (HND in Local Governance, with a special focus on municipal concerns). I propose an extensive review of dog waste bins across the island. The room falls silent; my points land with the weight of authority only a man of my experience can provide.

11:30 AM – Constituency Walkabout One of the highlights of my role is the time spent among the people. I took my usual walk around the village, clipboard in hand, noting every cracked pavement and reporting each to the Department of Infrastructure. I believe this hands-on approach sets me apart from some of my more... distant colleagues.

12:30 PM – Lunch with Margaret Margaret and I enjoy a quiet lunch at The Old Post Office café—a humble affair, but a local institution where the staff always greet me by name. It’s important to support small businesses, after all. I take this time to update Margaret on the morning’s triumphs; she listens intently, as always, her suggestions valuable in shaping my afternoon’s approach to further dog-related issues.

2:00 PM – House of Keys Session The afternoon brings with it another opportunity to influence change, as I sit in on a session of the House of Keys. Today’s discussion is, admittedly, rather broad: the future of public transport on the island. Of course, I contribute where relevant, steering the conversation back to the more immediate and tangible concerns of local pavements and dog fouling. While others may be preoccupied with grander visions, it is clear to me that these small matters form the foundation upon which larger ambitions are built.

5:00 PM – Returning Home By the time I return home, I am satisfied with the work done today. Margaret has prepared dinner, and we sit down to discuss tomorrow’s council agenda: the possibility of new signage in dog walking areas and, if time permits, a strategic review of roadside litter bins.

As I reflect on the day's achievements, I know that while I may not be making headlines, my contributions—however small in the grand scheme of things—are vital to the smooth functioning of our island. After all, without people like me addressing the nitty-gritty, where would the Isle of Man be?

And so, I rest, content in the knowledge that I have once again served my constituency with distinction.

John A. Smith, MBE, HND, DipPol, CertGov