Rob Callister

La Colombe

6 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If I was a politician I would never engage in Social Media it is political suicide.

I don’t think it is really. Only if you have no sense of self-awareness and an inflated sense of self-importance to believe the public should in some way defer to your superior status and not point out the silly things you might do or say. As you said Corkish had that attitude and went for MF and where is he now? Richard Corkill had that attitude and went for MF and where is he now? Hooper chucks his toys out of the pram a lot on FB and Twitter and John Houghton was the same but he went for the mainstream media in general. I’m sure Juan Watterson doesn’t give a toss what anyone says. Neither does Chris Thomas appear to. I’m sure Quayle doesn’t give a shite either. There are lots of MHKs who just roll with a few of the punches on social media as that’s part of the engagement. It’s not one-way traffic where adoring fans have to blow smoke up their asses even if they post rubbish. If you expect it to be that way then your likely mentally impaired in some way. 

17 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

If I was a politician I would never engage in Social Media it is political suicide.

The crop just lack any sense of reality or honesty IMHO.

But then again it is beaten out of them by the well-established system. Once they're voted in there, they need to be "shaped". Some have traits that already favour this. 

Our governance has become detached from reality and moulds our representatives to suit its own traditions and agenda. Wigs, gowns and "the club" take precedence. Climb the pole high enough and it's airmiles ahoy and an OBE too.

To what benefit of the populace of this Island?

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The crop just lack any sense of reality or honesty IMHO.

But then again it is beaten out of them by the well-established system. Once they're voted in there, they need to be "shaped". Some have traits that already favour this. 

Our governance has become detached from reality and moulds our representatives to suit its own traditions and agenda. Wigs, gowns and "the club" take precedence. Climb the pole high enough and it's airmiles ahoy and an OBE too.

To what benefit of the populace of this Island?

governance ?

• Haha 2

There are actually a number of MHKs and ministers who interact on social media and do so in a dignified and good way.

Chris Thomas, Daphne Caine, Lawrie Hooper are three who spring to mind. Thomas and Hooper get a lot more flack than Callister yet are able to maintain their cool without ranting on the floor of the House of Keys about it.

There are a few others. 

Edited by Rushen Spy
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

What was said? It’s hard to see what grounds exist to say that the public is not able to disagree with things an MHK says on social media or pick holes in many of the Swiss cheese like social media statements a politician chooses to make. Chris Thomas is just about the only a dignified social media user who gives as good as he gets usually. If people can’t take criticism they shouldn’t make statements that seem to be open to attract criticism as they seem to be perpetually clumsy or ill-advised. 

I was so shocked I didn't really take it all in

My impression was Mr Callister was unhappy that he is targeted more by you MF Trolls if he posts under his real name

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I was so shocked I didn't really take it all in

My impression was Mr Callister was unhappy that he is targeted more by you MF Trolls if he posts under his real name

I was just interested what was said as I haven’t seen any mention in the media or Facebook who I’d have thought would have been all over such a gaffe. Interesting answer. So are you suggesting that he also regularly posts here under a pseudonym? I don’t think asking people to back up silly statements voluntarily made is trolling either. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I don’t think it is really. Only if you have no sense of self-awareness and an inflated sense of self-importance to believe the public should in some way defer to your superior status and not point out the silly things you might do or say. As you said Corkish had that attitude and went for MF and where is he now? Richard Corkill had that attitude and went for MF and where is he now? Hooper chucks his toys out of the pram a lot on FB and Twitter and John Houghton was the same but he went for the mainstream media in general. I’m sure Juan Watterson doesn’t give a toss what anyone says. Neither does Chris Thomas appear to. I’m sure Quayle doesn’t give a shite either. There are lots of MHKs who just roll with a few of the punches on social media as that’s part of the engagement. It’s not one-way traffic where adoring fans have to blow smoke up their asses even if they post rubbish. If you expect it to be that way then your likely mentally impaired in some way. 

Oh he does - he'll report you to the Office of Tynwald if he doesn't like what you say

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1