Rob Callister

La Colombe

14 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Surely those rules only apply within the Tynwald chamber, e.g. to non-members in the Public Gallery?

It's hard to see what possible powers or remit they have over some guy in Pulrose typing  on Manx Forums.

Hypothetically, let's say someone (not me) was in the Public Gallery and threw an egg at a politician in protest. I assume the Standing Orders would allow for the person to be removed and not allowed back. Although, as Sultan mentioned above, with the case of Houghton, would such rules allow them to stop the person running for public office in Tynwald, thereby cancelling out the order, or would they have to make a special request of Tynwald to be allowed to run for public office?

I forget the whole case of Houghton. Will need to look it up again as I've totally forgotten what he did, but I do remember thinking it was bang out of order to not allow him into Tynwald. Was he even allowed the option to apologise to be allowed back in?

When King Charles Kerruish was President of the Isle of Man there were 4 members found by him to be in contempt. They had committed the heinous crime of discussing a matter with Manx Radio without first consulting him and before it was discussed in Tynwald.

Charlie was looking for a suitable punishment and it was a bit if a head scratcher..

As it transpired there was a forthcoming general election. The matter resolved itself and saved the search for a suitable (and legitimate) punishment in that the four members made their 'own' decision not to stand.

• Like 2

Is this the first time in living memory when Mr C hasn’t been making a quick entrance to refute critical statements toward him? He must really have dropped a bollock this time. In the naughty corner with a gagging order I reckon. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Declan said:

Also it was found at the time that Brown was unlawfully imprisoned.

Personally, I don't know what Rob is supposed to have said and those chuntering about it are very vague. It's not in Hansard (although maybe when it catches up) and without knowing when in the Tynwald Proceedings the comment was made it is hard to find in a day's worth of gibbering.

It won't be in Hansard as this was broadcast by Manx Radio AM before the sitting had begun

It was just idle chit chat

• Like 1

Like the time when the Manx Radio mics were left on in Tynwald. The Legislative Council, (Bishop, Corkish, the drunk fella) were having a go at Peter Karran, and down in the Keys Phil Gawne was saying words to the effect that the public should stfu about Douglas Promenade.

For idle chit chat it summed up the real Tynwald.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gettafa said:

Like the time when the Manx Radio mics were left on in Tynwald. The Legislative Council, (Bishop, Corkish, the drunk fella) were having a go at Peter Karran, and down in the Keys Phil Gawne was saying words to the effect that the public should stfu about Douglas Promenade.

For idle chit chat it summed up the real Tynwald.

Wasn't it, "do you take into account what the public want for the prom?"  "No no notice at all they're only input is to pay for it!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does Mr Callister have a history of fighting in phone boxes,as it is a strange thing to say.

I prefer the saying "if it wasn't for schhizophreia, I wouldn't have any friends at all".

I think he should take his own advice "if you don't like it, don't read it" and certainly don't respond to it.

• 1 month later...

Bottles it again to get off the hook from making tough decisions. Apparently just being a member of government is a conflict of interest as it does so many things. How stupid does he think the electorate are? 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/callister-to-leave-tynwald-scrutiny-committee/

Edited by thesultanofsheight

10 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

What tough decisions is he dodging?

Everything to do with the unmitigated cluster fuck on the prom. Apparently not even being a Minister conflicts you from having any oversight role in the unrelenting fuck ups caused by Tynwald empowering departments to do stuff. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

Everything to do with the unmitigated cluster fuck on the prom. 

To be fair, I don’t think he’s dodging it at all, i think he is as pissed off as the rest of us. It would appear that untruths have been told relating to the construction/timings. I could be wrong