Rob Callister

La Colombe

1 hour ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It would be interesting to know the mark up IOM Govt make on the excursions if any or do they just trot out basic passenger numbers.

Recently one of the ships had an American client / passenger whom if you are even remotely interested in Golf would have recognised from miles away - he wanted to do a bit of golf whacking when here, the Cruise Ship quoted him £ 750 +. he organised it himself for less than a £100 and gave the people at Mount Murray a big boost.

Essentially who is making the money the Cruise Operators or the attractions ?  - it's pretty fucking obvious.....

The money stays on board.

Even you don't believe that. FFS

28 minutes ago, buncha wankas said:

Did this guy Callister hold down a job for more than a few months before he fooled the onchanites to vote him in?  He has no staying power, thank goodness he will only be a one term wonderment. He needs to resign as a mhk and do us all a favour. 

He fought hard in the defence of the Louis Group directors, IIRC...?

12 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Yes, there possibly is better defence for a politician behind the legendary DfE Wall of Sheer Arrogance

It’s not a valid conflict of interest or a defense; it’s an “excuse” and little else. If even back benchers (acting only under delegated authority from their Minister - where they may or may not have responsibilities) are conflicted who even in government can politically sit on any of these scrutiny committees? It’s just nonsensical. It’s just another quick exit stage left for Mr Teflon before the shit hits the fan on the prom. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It’s not a valid conflict of interest or a defense; it’s an “excuse” and little else. If even back benchers (acting only under delegated authority from their Minister - where they may or may not have responsibilities) are conflicted who even in government can politically sit on any of these scrutiny committees? It’s just nonsensical. It’s just another quick exit stage left for Mr Teflon before the shit hits the fan on the prom. 

Isn’t this called “politics”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

It would be interesting to know the mark up IOM Govt make on the excursions if any or do they just trot out basic passenger numbers.

Recently one of the ships had an American client / passenger whom if you are even remotely interested in Golf would have recognised from miles away - he wanted to do a bit of golf whacking when here, the Cruise Ship quoted him £ 750 +. he organised it himself for less than a £100 and gave the people at Mount Murray a big boost.

Essentially who is making the money the Cruise Operators or the attractions ?  - it's pretty fucking obvious.....

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Even you don't believe that. FFS

I'm afraid it's perfectly true - and it's true of all cruise ships in all destinations.  The mark up that the cruise company puts on pre-booked excursions is quite phenomenal.  We'not just talking of a few tens of percent but several times the cost price to them.  Experienced cruisers will tell you never to book via the ship, but to use those run by a local company or maybe hire your own guide.  Indeed you can have your own bespoke personal tour and still pay less than you would be dragged round in a big group on the ship's own one.  I've heard guides on the Island say they get paid less for the day taking a large cruise party round than a single one of those passengers paid the cruise company for that tour.

The only difference with the Isle of Man is that they are so desperate for more cruises, so as to justify all those well-paid jobs in DfE, that they probably charge even less than other places do.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

If you’re a shyster perhaps. But apparently this is the most honest, transparent, public informing MHK we have ever had according to himself :D It’s pitifully transparent to be honest. 

One day he will be Chief Minister. 

2 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

One day he will be Chief Minister. 

I was about to ridicule that statement...and then thought of Boris Johnson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

13 hours ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Now that's interesting - do cruise lines publish their itineraries?

Be complicated but people like iomgolfholidays.com could target the passenger lists 

I live near the Museum in Douglas and got talking too a Canadian couple who had there tour price guide with them and showed me it.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture as prices were well over the top £45 a person to go to Laxey wheel. £70 plus to go to Peel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

I live near the Museum in Douglas and got talking too a Canadian couple who had there tour price guide with them and showed me it.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture as prices were well over the top £45 a person to go to Laxey wheel. £70 plus to go to Peel.

that was just the taxi prices.

Edited by WTF
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

No surprises there. If you ever go on a package holiday and book an excursion, you are most likely being ripped off. The reps earn bonuses for sales and probably backhanders from the businesses too. Its just the way of the world.

• Like 1