Rob Callister

La Colombe

Mr Callister is right to use social media to put information across to constituents & the electorate at large

Political parties on the island use paid Facebook promotion, why shouldn't he?

It could prove very expensive to someone like - say - an appointed rather than elected Chief Minister whose views on anything the majority may not actually wish to see

1 minute ago, Donald Trumps said:

Political parties on the island use paid Facebook promotion, why shouldn't he?

It could prove very expensive to someone like - say - an appointed rather than elected Chief Minister whose views on anything the majority may not actually wish to see

That’s a good point but parties promote broad agendas and policies. Independents promote themselves exclusively which is very different. The last thing I’m sure you would wish to see, Donald, is the CM buying £20Ks worth of targeted and paid for ads saying how brilliantly he’s dealt with Brexit to every Island resident? He could afford to do it easily. He could have your news feed full for 6 months if he wanted. 

Sultan I most often agree with you but I don't think you can separate individual politicians from those who choose to form themselves into a group

Someone who is somewhat unpopular could spend a lot of money on Facebook promotion but if the masses don't want to see it then it is money wasted

You have to have a willing viewer/reader in my view

This is the danger of the Cambridge Analytics thing - you can identify a willing if gulllible reader/viewer & almost wash their minds with stuff like bringing back sovereignty (which was never actually lost)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Sultan I most often agree with you but I don't think you can separate individual politicians from those who choose to form themselves into a group

Someone who is somewhat unpopular could spend a lot of money on Facebook promotion but if the masses don't want to see it then it is money wasted

We agree which is why I’d like to see public disclosure on spend and limits on spend otherwise some day someone like Boot, who could easily afford to spunk tens of thousands to generate good PR about himself, will do it and it will buy gullible people and votes from gullible people. People are more gullible than you think as you agree with your Cambridge Analytics comment. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

We agree which is why I’d like to see public disclosure on spend and limits on spend otherwise some day someone like Boot, who could easily afford to spunk tens of thousands to generate good PR about himself, will do it and it will buy gullible people and votes from gullible people. People are more gullible than you think as you agree with your Cambridge Analytics comment. 

This is IOM politics and not Cambridge Analytics though.

If Boot gets back in (unlikely?) It wont be because he spammed a few people on Facebook (as you can block too, no doubt).

Plus Boot has plenty of money (not from the taxpayer as seemed to be an issue) so surely he can waste it on what he wants?

2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

In fact some Onchan people are concerned as apparently it’s already been raised with you at a public meeting according to another poster [ecobob] but that’s another matter  

I did raise this but I did not say the concern came from Onchan people specifically and I did not say it was raised at a public meeting. 

Apart from that I’m interested to see how this debate on paying for public reach by MHK’s pans out. If it’s true that other political parties are using sponsored posts on Facebook to publicise their work then I must have missed them all but I’m prepared to accept that perhaps it is the case. If true then I too feel it’s fundamentally wrong. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob Callister said:
Reading some of the comments that have been posted over the last 72 hours, I cannot believe that I am seriously being criticised for over engaging with the people that elected me to the House of Keys three years ago today.....

That has to be a first for the Isle of Man because most MHKs are usually criticised for a clear lack of engagement once they are elected to public office.

Sponsoring (paying for) an advertisement promoting yourself to show up on social media timelines is also not "engagement", it's "spam".

59 minutes ago, ecobob said:

I did raise this but I did not say the concern came from Onchan people specifically and I did not say it was raised at a public meeting. 

Apart from that I’m interested to see how this debate on paying for public reach by MHK’s pans out. If it’s true that other political parties are using sponsored posts on Facebook to publicise their work then I must have missed them all but I’m prepared to accept that perhaps it is the case. If true then I too feel it’s fundamentally wrong. 

Sorry I must have mis read your post. Looking at it said - someone challenged him yesterday on that very point and asked if MHK’s paying for sponsorship was the way things were going to go in the future. He didn’t reply but this morning the sponsored post and all its comments has gone. I wrongly assumed that question was at a surgery or meeting. Seems we agree on the basic problem though. Like you I think it’s fundamentally wrong for an MHK to pay to target people on social media for political advantage. 

What's the difference then where a sitting MHK using the news paper, iom online, radio stations, surgeries, door to door etc to be in the public eye?

Social media is just another method of communication and can be ignored or disregarded exactly the same as any of the other forms of publicity. Probably easier actually.

Anyone can pay to take out an add on the radio.   Come election time the cost constraints a prospective MHK candidate can spend will still apply.  Communication methods are changing so I can't see how it differs from letters, flyers or any other form of communication. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Sorry I must have mis read your post. Looking at it said - someone challenged him yesterday on that very point and asked if MHK’s paying for sponsorship was the way things were going to go in the future. He didn’t reply but this morning the sponsored post and all its comments has gone. I wrongly assumed that question was at a surgery or meeting. Seems we agree on the basic problem though. Like you I think it’s fundamentally wrong for an MHK to pay to target people on social media for political advantage. 

Again more incorrect statements...... I set the AD to finish after 3 days 

I didn’t respond to the FB message because it from a fake account....

EEEBC589-18A7-427D-859E-C26CC8D4C4AD.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

That’s a good point but parties promote broad agendas and policies. Independents promote themselves exclusively which is very different. The last thing I’m sure you would wish to see, Donald, is the CM buying £20Ks worth of targeted and paid for ads saying how brilliantly he’s dealt with Brexit to every Island resident? He could afford to do it easily. He could have your news feed full for 6 months if he wanted. 

what fat man can afford and what fat man is willing to afford are two very very different things.