Rob Callister

La Colombe

If Rob really believes it is a salary of £50,882.60 but only paying taxes and NI on £43,479 then surely he should ask treasury for

an assessment of the extra  tax and NI,

they should also include the two previous years .

He should then pay them what the assessment is to be fair and honest as he believes it is part of his salary.

Edited by Holte End

6 minutes ago, Holte End said:

If Rob really believes it is a salary of £50,882.60 but only paying taxes and NI on £43,479 then surely he should ask treasury for

He should then pay them what the assessment is to be fair and honest as he believes it is part of his salary.

They're quick enough to demand taxes from the rest of us before we've even earned  it!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Wait, Rob Callister is paid £50k per year to do what he does? Jesus f-cking Christ.

25 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Frightening but a massive waste of taxpayers' money when there are 24 of them in the HOK alone, not even including the degenerate unelected scum on the LegCo.

Are you new to the Isle of Man?

3 hours ago, The Dog's Dangly Bits said:

RC not helping himself with the line "I find it hard to justify looking at my pay slip a line entitled member expenses"

Well clearly not THAT hard.  Otherwise he would simply hand them back.  Or certainly the ones he couldn't genuinely justify.  Those expenses should be ones incurred doing the job specifically.  Hiring halls for surgeries. Fair enough.  A portion of mobile phone cost ( you would still have a phone if not an MHK for example).   I'm slightly divided on website costs.  I suppose you could argue that it falls under communication costs.  But again to justify that you would expect the site to be taken down if not elected again.

Doesn't this hark back to when they dreamt up the wizard wheeze that instead of awarding themselves a payrise, which might make them look like greedy parasites, they would simply fold into the unjustified wedge the maximum amount they could claim on what appears to me to be non-receipted expenses?

Which in turn makes me wonder how Watterson was claiming for really petty amounts from his totally ridiculous jolly to tour the Falkland battlefields? That'll benefit the manx taxpayer not.

Maybe I've got it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rushen Spy said:

Wait, Rob Callister is paid £50k per year to do what he does? Jesus f-cking Christ.

No he gets paid more than that.  You've got to remember the supplementary payments for Departmental Membership (DM) etc.  I reckon the current salaries including 'expenses' are:

No DM (£ 50,882.60): August-Hanson, Beecroft, Lord-Brennan, Poole-Wilson, Robertshaw

DM(s) only 30% (£ 63,926.30): Caine, Callister, Corlett, Cretney, Hooper, Maska, Moorhouse, Sharpe

Treasury DM or DM plus Board Chair, 40% (£ 68,274.20): Allinson, Baker, Edge, Henderson, Peake, Perkins, Shimmins

Ministers and Pres of Tynwald 50% (£ 72,622.10): Ashford, Boot, Cannan, Cregeen, Harmer, Malarkey, Rodan, Skelly, Thomas

Speaker 60% (£ 76,970.00): Watterson

Chief Minister 80% (£ 85,665.80): Quayle

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No he gets paid more than that.  You've got to remember the supplementary payments for Departmental Membership (DM) etc.  I reckon the current salaries including 'expenses' are:

No DM (£ 50,882.60): August-Hanson, Beecroft, Lord-Brennan, Poole-Wilson, Robertshaw

DM(s) only 30% (£ 63,926.30): Caine, Callister, Corlett, Cretney, Hooper, Maska, Moorhouse, Sharpe

Treasury DM or DM plus Board Chair, 40% (£ 68,274.20): Allinson, Baker, Edge, Henderson, Peake, Perkins, Shimmins

Ministers and Pres of Tynwald 50% (£ 72,622.10): Ashford, Boot, Cannan, Cregeen, Harmer, Malarkey, Rodan, Skelly, Thomas

Speaker 60% (£ 76,970.00): Watterson

Chief Minister 80% (£ 85,665.80): Quayle

It's hard to believe a person is paid 30% more on £50k (taking it up to £63k) just for showing up once a week to sign a few pieces of paper and show up to a few meetings. It's hard to believe that MLCs get the same base salary when they do next to nothing in comparison to people who likewise do next to nothing. The system is clearly wrong, overly expensive, not fit for purpose, there are too many of them, being paid too many benefits, and it is all inherently corrupt due to it being decided by the very people who benefit from it. It's high time we had a political revolution on behalf of taxpayers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rushen Spy said:

It's hard to believe a person is paid 30% more on £50k (taking it up to £63k) just for showing up once a week to sign a few pieces of paper and show up to a few meetings. It's hard to believe that MLCs get the same base salary when they do next to nothing in comparison to people who likewise do next to nothing. The system is clearly wrong, overly expensive, not fit for purpose, there are too many of them, being paid too many benefits, and it is all inherently corrupt due to it being decided by the very people who benefit from it. It's high time we had a political revolution on behalf of taxpayers.

Hang on a minute.

It's headed up by a certain Mr Quayle who you think is wonderful.

How can he possibly justify such profligate largesse in what is HIS organisation?

Shome mishtake shurely....?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P.K. said:

Hang on a minute.

It's headed up by a certain Mr Quayle who you think is wonderful.

How can he possibly justify such profligate largesse in what is HIS organisation?

Shome mishtake shurely....?

I don't think the Chief Minister or the ministers are overpaid. I think departmental members are overpaid given the very little amount of work they do in their capacity as departmental members and especially when the % increase is on top of an already overly generous base salary. It should be understood when standing and becoming an MHK, that being a departmental member is one element of your job, and not an add-on with more pay.