Rob Callister

La Colombe

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

Don't you ever give it a rest, being so utterly wrong ALL of the time?

I couldn't give a toss about this pool competition, or the E2E, or the rally, or lots of other stuff that happens over here, but I'm glad it's on. 

You're a miserable man, and if you don't so something to change you're going to end up like James Corrin.

But you should care about what you are paying for.. How can I be wrong saying that promoting pool is just fucking stupid. It is pub stuff. That is all it is. What did this stupid tournament cost us ? I only ask as it made us look stupid and earned fuck all.

Just now, thesultanofsheight said:

Or so utterly pissed and thread destroying. 

Really ?

What can be gained by having a pool tournament here ?

This is like going back in time to the 80's. Pool is a game for people in pubs to keep them buying pints. How the fuck is that going to enhance the island and it's future ?

12 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But you should care about what you are paying for.. How can I be wrong saying that promoting pool is just fucking stupid. It is pub stuff. That is all it is. What did this stupid tournament cost us ? I only ask as it made us look stupid and earned fuck all.

People do care but if you don’t give different things a chance, how are you going to find out. This island is truly wonderful, yelled at if you do fuck all, yelled at if you do something 

4 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

People do care but if you don’t give different things a chance, how are you going to find out. This island is truly wonderful, yelled at if you do fuck all, yelled at if you do something 

But pool ? Fucking hell how embarrassing.

Does anybody ever want the island to be associated with a pool game. Come on, get a grip.

Edited by dilligaf

Pool is on the up dilli, regardless...

World Pool Masters 2019 - £100,000 first prize.

Not so long ago the World Snooker Masters was £100k.

I'd hazard a guess and say many more people play Pool than Snooker. It has worldwide popularity.

Did it cost the taxpayer? As a taxpayer, in this instance, I don't care. The tournament went well, the Island got some coverage on tv etc...

Anyone remember the World Backgammon Championships at the Cazzy? 

Edited by quilp
  • Like 3

Just now, dilligaf said:

How did it make us look stupid?

You probably think darts is just a pub game played by fat blokes but it's on tv pretty much every week and gets thousands of spectators. 

People on this island moan when nothings on then moan when there is. Here's an idea why dont you get up and organise something that interests you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You may wish to read up on the net value of the UK pub industry before dismissing something because it's "pub stuff":

The UK pub market will reach a value of £23bn this year, up 1.9% from 2018, according to a prediction from foodservice and hospitality research agency MCA Insight.

https://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Article/2019/07/03/How-much-is-the-pub-market-worth-in-2019

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I couldn't give a toss about this pool competition, or the E2E, or the rally, or lots of other stuff that happens over here, but I'm glad it's on. 

But some of these things are not like the others.  Some events like E2E get not much assistance or publicity on the Island from government or its tame media, or even, like the Rally, face obstruction.  Pet projects such as the pool competition however have the cash and attention lavished upon them.  It is not the prominence of the event that matters or how much money or how many people it will bring to the Island, but whether it is 'one of ours'.

A notable example of this occurred only this month. The Isle of Man Chess Tournament included most of the world's top players, including the World Champion, and was described as the top one in the world this year.  Prize money was $ 430,000 in total and hundreds of players, journalists and so on attended.  You can find coverage in papers all over the world, even the UK.  Naturally there seems to have been little input from the government (it was mainly paid for by the Scheinbergs).

But there seems to have been little attempt to use it to promote the Island or even to cover it.  Quayle did turn up the distribute to trophies and look gormless, which may explain why the newspapers covered that - a week after it happened.  Manx Radio finally noticed the existence of it five days in.  Even though it wasn't 'one of ours' you can see all sorts of ways in which the government could have (tactfully) latched onto the event at very extra cost.  But they didn't.

13 hours ago, dilligaf said:

News just in. There is going to be a "marbles" tournament and they hope to include the isle of man, as they say the "support"  is great.

This will be followed by a "jacks" round robin, then the icing on the cake is a  "Tiddly Winks" tournament. What a great win for the island.

You missed out bar skittle and dominoe touraments which would be a hugh attraction for the over eighties.

Edited by Holte End

30 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

A notable example of this occurred only this month. The Isle of Man Chess Tournament included most of the world's top players, including the World Champion, and was described as the top one in the world this year.  Prize money was $ 430,000 in total and hundreds of players, journalists and so on attended.  You can find coverage in papers all over the world, even the UK.  Naturally there seems to have been little input from the government (it was mainly paid for by the Scheinbergs).

But there seems to have been little attempt to use it to promote the Island or even to cover it.  Quayle did turn up the distribute to trophies and look gormless, which may explain why the newspapers covered that - a week after it happened.  Manx Radio finally noticed the existence of it five days in.  Even though it wasn't 'one of ours' you can see all sorts of ways in which the government could have (tactfully) latched onto the event at very extra cost.  But they didn't.

I made this point earlier

On 10/27/2019 at 9:02 AM, TheTeapot said:

I don't see what the problem is, we should be hosting little events like these, do them well it leads to better things. Shame it takes it being someones hobby to make the news. Did you know that there has been an important chess conference going on here since the other week? Magnus Carlsen is here along with many of the worlds best players, prize money of half a million quid, virtually no local press. Should be plugging the hell out of them, making this a good place for organisations to come and run an event. Shame Summerland never got replaced, Piazza was a big exhibition space and we don't really have one of those now.

We should be encouraging as many and as varied as possible smallish scale events here, do things well and sometimes something better comes along, we had the British cycling championships here the other year, that was a big deal. 

It's easy to attack Rob, the guys an idiot, but if he wasn't plugging his pool tournament I wouldn't have known it was on. Shame no one local was plugging the chess, it wouldn't be a surprise to find out none of them know how to play.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I made this point earlier

We should be encouraging as many and as varied as possible smallish scale events here, do things well and sometimes something better comes along, we had the British cycling championships here the other year, that was a big deal. 

It's easy to attack Rob, the guys an idiot, but if he wasn't plugging his pool tournament I wouldn't have known it was on. Shame no one local was plugging the chess, it wouldn't be a surprise to find out none of them know how to play.

Tad unfair there, Rob is certainly no idiot. Granted he never misses an opportunity to promote

a) himself and

b) any event he is involved with

but that doesn't make him an idiot