Summertime or Wintertime (GMT or GMT +1)

John Wright

Looks as if the EU has decided to abandon the clocks forward/backwards at end March-end October and instead is going to have the same time all year round.

Each country gets to decide whether or not it chooses its existing standard or summer time. There are consultations going on in most countries.

Bulgaria looks as if it’s going to choose summer time all year round. That’s BST +3. Spain looks as if it’s going for winter time all year round, BST +1.

i can understand getting rid of the hour forward or backwards. Last forward is March 2019, then countries will either stick in October, or go back for one last time.

Wonder what UK and IoM will do?

UK - stick with the forward and back.

IOM - Start a public consultation, employ consultants, decide the best way is to spread the hour difference to the UK in staged steps - in 6 minute intervals with the option to begin Manx Time - or "Time Enough" - in 2022, with the option to go Metric in 2050 to make the most of Brexit.

Economic development fund will be used to establish a company to make Manx clocks, with the option to produce Metric clocks in 2075.

I never understand the fixation with putting clocks forward or back or GMT/GMT + 1. Why is there a fixation with starting at 9:00am or a working day being nine to five. Stick with GMT and alter working days etc accordingly so maybe make 8 till 4 or 7 to 3. Ultimately they are just numbers that we have attributed to describe time.

49 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I never understand the fixation with putting clocks forward or back or GMT/GMT + 1. Why is there a fixation with starting at 9:00am or a working day being nine to five. Stick with GMT and alter working days etc accordingly so maybe make 8 till 4 or 7 to 3. Ultimately they are just numbers that we have attributed to describe time.

In my experience there isn't a " fixation" around messing with the timezone but rather it's anachronistic.

It makes sense to me to set the timezone around schooltime being as much as possible in daylight hours.

Because of our northern aspect that could mean making choices around going to school in the dark or coming home in the dark. Or being flexible about school hours according to the season.

It's no more daft than any other criteria....

Archived