The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

38 minutes ago, WTF said:

The 19th hole or whatever it is called now is very hard to beat, I was there twice last week

I’d second that, its now The Bay Green Restaurant and is excellent. Freshly cooked food everyday with about 15 choices on the blackboard, idyllic surroundings and professional staff. Give it a try you won’t be disappointed!

• Like 1

When the plans for the cafe at the Sound were announced everyone jumped up and down. Similarly the regeneration projects. And now, time later, everyone’s used to it and no one gives a shit. The cafe at the Sound is now one of the most liked venues. 

Let it go ahead. It will look better in real life  than that hideous picture.

2 minutes ago, ecobob said:

If it’s going to be that shit I’d be delighted. No one will go and they’ll all come to me instead. But that’s not going to happen is it. 

Absolute nonsense. You know the pram and spam brigade love big windows where they can sit and drink their overpriced cumandspunkachinos

19 hours ago, John Wright said:

The demand for anything above cafe snack eating must be very limited in Port Erin. 

in the last 6 months, or so, South Coastal and Little Fish at the Bay have both closed. And today the Bay itself has closed its doors.

The issue is that end of the Shore Road is a bit grim when it's blowing a hoolie, people don't fancy it. There's a cycle at the old arcade place of new owner opens, does a roaring trade over summer, owner buys new car in September, trade drops and it's closed by Christmas.

Theoretically - Bay/ old arcade / Vinters plus potentially something at Marine Biological place and the Cosy Nook and you could have thriving area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Apart from the Cregneash Cafe, the Sound place has & had no immediate competitors

You might think differently if you had capital invested in a Port Erin promenade hospitality business

There aren't any hospitality businesses on Port Erin Prom, it's all flats.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2020 at 6:49 PM, QueenCrabbette said:

It needs completely renovating. If work was done on the existing building then it would likely collapse under the burden of the works. I'd imagine itd be a colossal waste of money trying to end up with a facility which is not fit for purpose! Surely a facility open all year round with inside toilets, disabled access and a kitchen designed and set up for commercial cooking is more favourable for ratepayers? Bet most of the moaners will be visiting as soon as it's done just like the Sound. This is why progression never happens here. Classic crab mentality. 

Public toilets already exist, about 75M away.

Why can't something be built within the existing footprint with max two levels as it is now? Why does the new proposal have to be so big? Nothing at that level is very big, not even the seasonal shops and cottages. Why can't it just blend in with the immediate surroundings?  Why do architects feel the need to scar the landscape with designs that don't really fit in with the character of the place? The proposed design is something that you would see on Bournemouth beach front. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manxberry said:

Absolute nonsense. You know the pram and spam brigade love big windows where they can sit and drink their overpriced cumandspunkachinos

Yes. I know. That’s why I said it’s not going to happen you doofus. 

24 minutes ago, Declan said:

There aren't any hospitality businesses on Port Erin Prom, it's all flats.

Which is the biggest problem Port Erin faces; build 'luxury' apartments many of which are not occupied full time and the remaining population cannot support the village services. 

If everyone who could afford to buy one of those flats actually lived there and engaged in the village it would be a very different place with thriving good quality hostelries.

Absolutely gutted about The Bay closing but it's being getting quieter and quieter over the last ten years.