The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

Previously there has been the Cosy Nook, Roberto's Cafeteria, Cafe Delicious & Bohemian Cafe Style Restaurant + Pizzeria

Cafe Delicious opens when it’s sunny. 

The old Bohemian is open on busy days as a Pizza and cocktails place. The take away pizza place is popular. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Banker said:

There aren’t many cafes on lower promenade are there, only the one in the middle & the ice cream parlour. If it’s crap weather they don’t open much in the week . Think bradda glen shuts Monday/Tuesday as well 

Try going to Port Erin in winter on Monday/Tuesday  , even the station pub is shut along with most other cafes etc

Always the Railway Station

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, quilp said:

It was a stupid thing for the Commissioners to ask for - I'm not even sure that you can legally de-list something so soon after it has been listed.  And even if it is, they're basically just asking a government Department to admit they were wrong immediately after they have made a decision.  Which isn't going to succeed is it?  It's just taking the piss 

What they ought to do, if they genuinely want to improve the area, is to:

(a)  Make sure that the main building is preserved in reasonable condition and any necessary repairs are done.

(b)  Get plans drawn up that will add on updated facilities (kitchens, toilets, etc) in a sympathetic manner, not some high-rise white elephant because an architect wants to maximise his fees and shout "Look at my enormous erection!"

(c) Ask for the area of the listing to be reduced to just the original building to make (b) easier.  At the moment it's drawn too widely but I suppose they reckoned the Commissioners couldn't be trusted.

• Like 3

Port Erin Promenade's iconic Victorian buildings have been rubbled and replaced with grotesque and imposing mis-matched dog-dinner monstrosities. The PSM Bayqueen has been listed all these years, and now being demolished - Hartford will do what Hartford do and replace with a nouveau Port Erin mis-proportioned monster.

But as long as Cosy Nook is almost standing, everything will be ok.

48 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It was a stupid thing for the Commissioners to ask for - I'm not even sure that you can legally de-list something so soon after it has been listed.  And even if it is, they're basically just asking a government Department to admit they were wrong immediately after they have made a decision.  Which isn't going to succeed is it?  It's just taking the piss 

What they ought to do, if they genuinely want to improve the area, is to:

(a)  Make sure that the main building is preserved in reasonable condition and any necessary repairs are done.

(b)  Get plans drawn up that will add on updated facilities (kitchens, toilets, etc) in a sympathetic manner, not some high-rise white elephant because an architect wants to maximise his fees and shout "Look at my enormous erection!"

(c) Ask for the area of the listing to be reduced to just the original building to make (b) easier.  At the moment it's drawn too widely but I suppose they reckoned the Commissioners couldn't be trusted.

Good luck with that. It will be forever compromised by its size. Waste of time farting about with a load of rubbish. What's the point of keeping something then changing it so its unrecognisable. Only on the Isle of Man would anything as blatantly stupid as this be a solution.

• Like 1

I was down there in early September, beautiful day, lots of people enjoying the weather, the beach and the sea.  The set up down there was great with the beach huts, outside tables (some under shelter) and a saxophonist playing, it was vibrant and quite "continental ".  It showed great initiative by the businesses and by PE Commissioners for allowing the facilities.

Perhaps the building itself just needs a bit of renovation to provide basic facilities, loos and kitchen and a more permanent sheltered seating area outside.  It certainly doesn't need a gargantuan development.

That little area is quite special with the cottages and beachside gardens.  Not sure the building itself needs listed status protection, however. But maybe the whole of that area needs to have some kind of conservation status, if it doesn't already. 

• Like 2