The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Realistically; if wildlife on Langness was the paramount concern then we'd close the golf course and allow it to naturally re-wild.

Not actually true.  Some areas actually need to have the grass kept short for conservation reasons - though this is better done by sheep or cattle cropping rather than mechanical cutting.

• 3 months later...

The Rushen Heritage Trust ran a consultation recently on the new plans, and the results are in. Not too popular with the respondents and as such they are going to object. Read up

https://rushenheritage.org/news

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cosy-nook-plans-fails-to-win-support-of-rushen-heritage-trust/

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

Good. There's nothing remotely "heritage" about what's proposed. If the original Cosy Nook is that knackered, drop it and rebuild like for like.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Good. There's nothing remotely "heritage" about what's proposed. If the original Cosy Nook is that knackered, drop it and rebuild like for like.

Well, in the interest of a broader church of opinion...no, don’t do that. The old Cosy Nook (Nosy Cook in our house) is a conventional little old Manx cottage. There are any number of those, including in PE and environs. So do replace it with something radical. I like the proposed design. The grotty old boarding houses on the top promenade were all replaced by modern apartments, not by like-for-like, so do the same fir the Nosy Cook. Build the proposed design I say!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Well, in the interest of a broader church of opinion...no, don’t do that. The old Cosy Nook (Nosy Cook in our house) is a conventional little old Manx cottage. There are any number of those, including in PE and environs. So do replace it with something radical. I like the proposed design. The grotty old boarding houses on the top promenade were all replaced by modern apartments, not by like-for-like, so do the same fir the Nosy Cook. Build the proposed design I say!

I never liked the Cosy Nook as was but it was always busy.

Which indicates that there is nothing to be gained by creating another glass and steel monstrosity so it will then resemble the ugliness on the top promenade.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Why does it need to be "heritage"?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

Why does it need to be "heritage"?

Entirely personally, I think it's part of its appeal. It's quaint, which is why people go there, surely proved by its busyness and the effort they make to patronise in view of the lack of parking.

Build a new design glass and stainless obelisk and you lose that appeal. I thought the Island's USP for tourism was supposed to be heritagey-type stuff?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I think they said that about the Sound Cafe as well. 

Didn't seem to have lost any of it's appeal when I was in there the other day. 

I think it's very much a different location Dave. The original Sound cafe was a run down shack. There's also the far better panoramic views and scenery from the location of the new build and indeed "where it is" at the southern most tip of the Island.

What's proposed at PE is down at sea level with the headland on the right restricting any views other than the beach and the breakwater. Not the same appeal somehow?