The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

It’s a quirky building but the inside space is awful, the disabled access isn’t great and the building has been left to get into a dreadful state.   But the plan for replacement was awful.    

it’s a difficult balance,   Getting a building that will bring in enough venue to justify the upkeep etc or having an ice cream shack that is only useable in good weather. 

I’d have thought something  glass and weathered as an addition to the building would have been more sympathetic and be able to be used in winter and poor weather.  

• Like 2

I really don't get what they think they are doing putting a hold on demolishing this pile of crap.

Its not architecturally interesting, does not have any special features and has already been totally bastardised with new windows and the tasteful extensions.

The new design it too big for the location but at least its better than what is there and what has a long time ago outlived its usefulness. It also feature smooth rendered walls which look good on drawings but look rubbish when done because of the nature of hand applied renders.

Old Manx buildings are not anything special, piles of rubble with mud to hold them together. Usually damp with no proper way of damp proofing due to that mud and rubble construction.  Having the misfortune to buy one a few years ago I know full well their poor construction and impossibility to keep damp out, you can hide it but not fix it properly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

I really don't get what they think they are doing putting a hold on demolishing this pile of crap.

Its not architecturally interesting, does not have any special features and has already been totally bastardised with new windows and the tasteful extensions.

The new design it too big for the location but at least its better than what is there and what has a long time ago outlived its usefulness. It also feature smooth rendered walls which look good on drawings but look rubbish when done because of the nature of hand applied renders.

Old Manx buildings are not anything special, piles of rubble with mud to hold them together. Usually damp with no proper way of damp proofing due to that mud and rubble construction.  Having the misfortune to buy one a few years ago I know full well their poor construction and impossibility to keep damp out, you can hide it but not fix it properly.

Particularly as it's a food production unit - even if modestly so - the right decision is to demolish and replace with a similar style/design

4 hours ago, Kopek said:

Don't we just wish other Govt/LA decisions could have been 'put on hold' while a second opinion was sought?

This is a lesson to those who would seek to 'Railroad' their decision thru the Keys?

If the Keys don't like the look of something they refer it to a committee of Tynwald, where it dies

Buildings should be registered if they are architecturally important. Does this apply to the Cost Nook? No. A hideous extension on the front of the building together with modern windows. Add in the damp and the size making it unsuitable as a cafe. 

Do I like the replacement plans? They could be improved. Take a lesson from The Sound. I am sure when that building was proposed there would have been negative comments, but look how popular it is. The new Cosy Nook could be a fantastic modern facility for the community and visitors. 

• Like 4

The existing structure is a worthless pile of bastardized crap. It’s in a shit state and is a particularly inappropriate food outlet. It has no heritage or architectural substance. The attempt to ‘save’ it is rooted in political cowardice, cynicism and electioneering. All three are in regular supply. In fact, it’s the perfect metaphor of the current state of Manx politics. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

The existing structure is a worthless pile of bastardized crap. It’s in a shit state and is a particularly inappropriate food outlet. It has no heritage or architectural substance. The attempt to ‘save’ it is rooted in political cowardice, cynicism and electioneering. All three are in regular supply. In fact, it’s the perfect metaphor of the current state of Manx politics. 

Exactly Watterson is getting involved in all sorts of rubbish just because it’s election year 

The Close Leece Farm cafe is well done - an original cottage/barn with a modern extension out the back. Also Salmon Lake cafe by the Laxey Wheel.

I agree re Watterson. Not said a peep about local issues for years, then suddenly pipes up about the Post Office and Cosy Nook when there's an election coming up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uhtred said:

"Cosy Nook has a special place in port’s history"

BAR103 2020-07-14 Cosy Nook - at the the heart of Port Erin.pdf (abc.org.im)

4 hours ago, Get a life said:

Buildings should be registered if they are architecturally important. Does this apply to the Cost Nook? No. A hideous extension on the front of the building together with modern windows. Add in the damp and the size making it unsuitable as a cafe. 

Do I like the replacement plans? They could be improved. Take a lesson from The Sound. I am sure when that building was proposed there would have been negative comments, but look how popular it is. The new Cosy Nook could be a fantastic modern facility for the community and visitors. 

Yes I agree. Best to have a new modern/contemporary building that does not try to imitate the old.

An example of a poor imitation is the newish houses at the bottom of Glen Falcon. They attempt to mimic the 3 story houses opposite. Goodness knows what the planners are thinking. It just doesn't work and they look terrible. Same with the houses at the rear of the terrace. Horrible imitations

Look at the contemporary houses at Bradda. Fantastic houses and nothing like Manx Cottages.

Sure the Cosy Nook plan might need some tweaking but I'd rather have something strikingly modern than some crappy imitation/botch up