The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

"Cosy Nook has a special place in port’s history"

BAR103 2020-07-14 Cosy Nook - at the the heart of Port Erin.pdf (abc.org.im)

Th only reason it is the heart of Port Erin for many folks it was where they had their first knee trembler with the young ladies who would have been working on the Island during it's tourism heyday in the 60/70s.

26 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Th only reason it is the heart of Port Erin for many folks it was where they had their first knee trembler with the young ladies who would have been working on the Island during it's tourism heyday in the 60/70s.

*Ahem*...70/80s too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlanShimmin said:

Pull it down / Don't pull it down

Whatever happens to it, there needs to be an end to the saga. 

Why do minor issues like this take forever and a day to get resolved? 

Have a look at this Wiki article - it sums up the Isle of Man in all of its government guises.

"The time spent on any item of the agenda will be in inverse proportion to the sum [of money] involved."

The Cosy Nook is a bike shed, and the Liverpool landing stage is an atomic reactor.  How much debate will relate to each theme?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Pull it down / Don't pull it down

Whatever happens to it, there needs to be an end to the saga. 

Why do minor issues like this take forever and a day to get resolved? 

Reminiscing over school days and the people from the past, I once asked the lad Cubby, he of JCK fame, if he ever went in The Eagle (pub/hotel on Port Erin).

"Went in it? I pulled the bladdy thing down" he proudly said.

That said a lot to me on a number of different levels. I think Port Erin, and many of my generation and before, saw Port Erin die when The Eagle was demolished. After that, who really cared if The Snaefell, The Hydro, The Belle Vue etc came down? To be replaced by the ugliest carbuncles that have ever graced the drawing boards of the inadequate but clearly cost conscientious design minds of Dandara et al.

Some things are worth fighting for, but this one is a last gasp at preserving the long gone past of Port Erin.

One day I will ask Cubby if he ever went into the Cosy Nook cafe. And he will look me straight back in the eye and tell me exactly what he did with it.

5 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

"Cosy Nook has a special place in port’s history"

BAR103 2020-07-14 Cosy Nook - at the the heart of Port Erin.pdf (abc.org.im)

Overblown repetitive Tosh. That article says ‘It’s old, and it can be seen in quite a few images of the village. So it’s thus super-important’. Bollocks. It’s old alright...and shite. And yes of course it’s in images of the village, simply because it’s there. FFS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Reminiscing over school days and the people from the past, I once asked the lad Cubby, he of JCK fame, if he ever went in The Eagle (pub/hotel on Port Erin).

"Went in it? I pulled the bladdy thing down" he proudly said.

That said a lot to me on a number of different levels. I think Port Erin, and many of my generation and before, saw Port Erin die when The Eagle was demolished. After that, who really cared if The Snaefell, The Hydro, The Belle Vue etc came down? To be replaced by the ugliest carbuncles that have ever graced the drawing boards of the inadequate but clearly cost conscientious design minds of Dandara et al.

Some things are worth fighting for, but this one is a last gasp at preserving the long gone past of Port Erin.

One day I will ask Cubby if he ever went into the Cosy Nook cafe. And he will look me straight back in the eye and tell me exactly what he did with it.

I think there's still a lot of Old Port Erin left without this insignificant little building that has no use. IOM is not short of old small cottages FFS. Many of them derelict because they just don't work. Wouldn't want to see too many go, but there are plenty higher up the list than the CN

16 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Overblown repetitive Tosh. That article says ‘It’s old, and it can be seen in quite a few images of the village. So it’s thus super-important’. Bollocks. It’s old alright...and shite. And yes of course it’s in images of the village, simply because it’s there. FFS.

Yep, exactly.

And hardly a peep was heard when the upper promenade was destroyed. 

• Like 1

I*t has four walls, a floor and a ceiling. If this cannot be made safe for catering, then half the Islands houses are not fit for 'Human Habitation'???

I can see a special offer from Slinky for tents!!!

Salmon Lakes and Starvey, Sunset Fishing Lakes etc are privately owned developments .It's their own money, not Ratepayers , that is at risk. They have presumably done a business case, PE have not even revealed the cost of the new development!!!

Cosy has survived for many years, probably with low rents, low profits, seasonal capture only but it could do so for many more years simply as Quirky beachside snack bar.

Low Rents??? Hmmm, is that the motive behind this?

PE also have plans for Yurts/ glamping pods on the north end of the golf course, will they support another catering outlet there as at the Fishing lakes? More competition, more conflict???

PE need to come clean on their overall plans long term.

Personally, if I were interested, I would prefer to wait and see what the Yurts catering situation is rather that commit to a 30-40k rent on the new Cosy!