The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

18 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Well the Cosy Nook has officially been added to the protected buildings register so a shitty derelict cottage partially obscured by a cheaply constructed serving hatch and a toilet block will be here for years to come.

Don't forget the Douglas Trafalgar and the Kirk Michael Mitre now officially added too.

I'm pleased the Cosy Nook has been saved , pity that the Commissioners contrived to encourage it to becoming derelict . Many people were saying that the old Murray's Museum  should have been demolished , I would recommend a visit to see what can be achieved . Just saying. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Don't forget the Douglas Trafalgar and the Kirk Michael Mitre now officially added too.

Would being listed prevent a restrictive covenant being placed on the building in the future? Too late for the Traf off course, but the Mitre must have had some approving looks from developers while H&B have almost certainly considered getting rid.

23 minutes ago, paswt said:

I'm pleased the Cosy Nook has been saved , pity that the Commissioners contrived to encourage it to becoming derelict . Many people were saying that the old Murray's Museum  should have been demolished , I would recommend a visit to see what can be achieved . Just saying. 

There's an opportunity now - planning permitting - for a contemporary architectural reinterpretation of the site

Hope PE Commissioners will take it

31 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Would being listed prevent a restrictive covenant being placed on the building in the future? Too late for the Traf off course, but the Mitre must have had some approving looks from developers while H&B have almost certainly considered getting rid.

Who wants to live in Kirk Michael particularly if pub closed, it’s a dump!!

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Well the Cosy Nook has officially been added to the protected buildings register so a shitty derelict cottage partially obscured by a cheaply constructed serving hatch and a toilet block will be here for years to come.

The island has lost the plot, WTF has that pile of rubble got that makes it worth protecting?

Zero but like a lot of things over here, massively worse because of social media, politicians run scared of a few, and I mean a few loud voices bleating.

The political system here has never been good at getting anything done, no political party's to blame things on so any difficult decisions are directly held against the MHK.

This makes re election subject to keeping all the people happy all the time and as we know you cant do that but we end up with MHKs trying to do it and we get stupid decisions like this.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Where do you live banker?

Kirk Michael gets glorious sunsets and has a huge sandy beach, as well as having the advantage of not being anywhere near Douglas. I wouldn't have a problem living there.

Well said!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Kirk Michael gets glorious sunsets and has a huge sandy beach, as well as having the advantage of not being anywhere near Douglas. I wouldn't have a problem living there.

A very nice position in Braddan within walking distance to pubs & Douglas if required. Still think KM is a dump!!

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

All true. It does also have at times a very closed and extremely conservative, if not insular, society that frequently gives the impression of not welcoming outsiders or any type of change, look at the shenanigans in the recent past years over the KM Courthouse whose appearance is testimony to that. I'm personally amazed that the proposed DOI "improvements" to the main road haven't been met with more protest. But each to their own.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Does anyone think that if the plans for it's replacement weren't so over the top and were instead more along the lines of knock it down and build a new place on a similar footprint doing a similar thing that this would have been listed?

Wasn't that the plan ?

Imagine all this heavy wagons and bulldozers and building material merchants trying to get down that narrow lane for a drop and rebuild ? 

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

the best thing about kirkmichael is no public sector housing  so the scrote count is down, not that all public sector houses have scrotes living in them, but they are the breeding ground.