The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I can see both points of view.

However, the proposed replacement is/was, I think, not in keeping with other buildings at that level and was designed to be all-things-to-all-men. The reason why it was called the Cosy Nook is/was obvious. The alternative is/would be the absolute opposite and couldn't possibly be called that again unless the dimensions were the same as the original.

If there is to be a new building then why can't it be built on the same footprint with all the same or very similar features incorporated into a modern build; low ceiling with beams, outside shell of manx stone, fireplace/burner etc. Atmos makes a place like the Cosy Nook. The alternative would 110% functional/utilitarian. Absolutely no atmos.

I can't help thinking that the architects have been given an easy assignment. Make them work for their money. Not everything that is modern needs to look modern or indeed bigger. The challenge, I would suggest, is to try and retain some sort authentic feel about the place.  

It would be great to see an architectural rework of the existing Cosy Nook site with some of it's key features retained or accented

24 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

It would be great to see an architectural rework of the existing Cosy Nook site with some of it's key features retained or accented

What are its key features? 

Its a white rendered (probably over Manx stone) building with a slate roof and a very poor extension to the front elevation?

Its rectangular and facing the wrong way?

I suppose the plus is that the architect's fee could be low as it wouldn't take much imagination to recreate its distinguishing features 

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The monstrosity, in my view, that was envisaged to take its place was never a runner, and I think they knew that. 

There is too little space for parking down there and the neighbours would probably not appreciate any constant traffic going back and forth looking for somewhere to park.

The only option is in time to sell to HNWI for a new house. Lovely view.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

It has no value due to its state. Site value only. It’s no longer fit for purpose as catering premises. However it’ll increase the cost of any work required and make planning/registered building consent a lengthy tortuous process. More cost to the rate payers.

Precisely - all the more laughable that it was a clique of idiot ratepayers pushing for the registration.

1 minute ago, Chef Raekwon said:

In fairness though my anger is more with the massive amount of non PE ratepayers who have forced this decision.

Understandably.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair if it has managed to stop the Commissioners wasting vast sums of ratepayers money on a white elephant, then they're not that idiotic.

Fluke!

Imagine if this was a private person that they had suddenly decided to list the building on after purchase? A bit like the old Newson's premises...

25-28 North Quay, Douglas IM1 4LE, Isle of Man

NOW FOR SALE DUE TO PLANNING DEMANDS

Unfortunately after we purchased the building the IOMG planning department decided to give it listed building status and never informed us, the owners, so sadly our development plans have been thwarted. We await however another developer to take it forward, if there is one who wishes to do so.

Enquiries to Cowley Groves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Imagine if this was a private person that they had suddenly decided to list the building on after purchase? A bit like the old Newson's premises...

Unfortunately after we purchased the building the IOMG planning department decided to give it listed building status and never informed us, the owners, so sadly our development plans have been thwarted. We await however another developer to take it forward, if there is one who wishes to do so.

Mmm? Written notices are sent to the address and stuck to doors. Purchasers advocate should have searched the register and also asked the vendor about any notices received. All standard stuff.

12 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Actually listed April 2018, so if they're only complaining now they're not exactly speedy.

I have to say I'm glad it has been listed because if you look at old photos and paintings of the Quay, it's the only building that seems unaltered since. 

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Mmm? Written notices are sent to the address and stuck to doors. Purchasers advocate should have searched the register and also asked the vendor about any notices received. All standard stuff.

I understand that the purchaser checked with the planning office before they went ahead that the building was not listed, it was only afterwards that the order was slapped on the building. 

• Like 2