The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But there are already laws that allow for action to be forced or taken to restore derelict buildings.  You should speak to your local authority about it.

Not a chance, I hear at least one of the commissioners where I live is a right c***

Anyways

I believe that the powers available to such authorities in the Building Control Act 1991 relate to Dangerous or Ruinous properties and require remediation or demolition if the property owner is unable to remedy or elects not to.

I believe I outlined my thoughts on this on my previous post.

Thanks

ETA - I hope I don't become the Aled Brewerton to your Jackie Weaver

Edited by Rhumsaa
  • Haha 1

It really isn't fit for pupose.   The Isle of Man sometimes has weather where it is lovely enough to eat a hot meal outside without it going cold halfway through.   

About 8 weeks of the year at a rough guess.   Most of the time, most people would rather be inside somewere with a nice view.  

The inside of they Cosy Nook is tiny, and even if the builing is sorted out, not very accessible.  To be a going concern you need a minimum number of covers and not be totally weather dependent.  

The view sitting outside is magnificent - I love the place.  But putting something in its place that means people can enjoy the gorgeous view year round seems like a good idea - and also something that is accessible (and dog friendly). 

That could be super modern or more traditional looking.   Not that monstrosity that the Commissioners came up with though. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But there are already laws that allow for action to be forced or taken to restore derelict buildings.  You should speak to your local authority about it.

Rhumsaa will know all about it, the ongoing saga of Bleak House has plagued Ramsey for years, R.T.C had to step in when the tiles were coming off the roof and it was deemed a public risk.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the likes of The Britannia, The Stanley and isn’t the Central also up for sale? The Britannia especially is rapidly falling into disrepair, I’m surprised nobody has tried setting it on fire yet.

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Rhumsaa will know all about it, the ongoing saga of Bleak House has plagued Ramsey for years, R.T.C had to step in when the tiles were coming off the roof and it was deemed a public risk.

It will be very interesting to see what happens to the likes of The Britannia, The Stanley and isn’t the Central also up for sale? The Britannia especially is rapidly falling into disrepair, I’m surprised nobody has tried setting it on fire yet.

The newsletters used to be good value

Bleak House is a great example of the potential issues with current legislation as should the property owner be unable to afford to carry out remedial work or demolition it then falls on the LA to undertake the work at their cost and reclaim the money from the property owner (via taking the building/land and selling at auction for example). All of which is a lengthy experience and realistically provides no winners.

Britannia has already had a demolition application rejected by Planning..... what next? who knows but I suspect my above post will be a good guess.

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

Not a chance, I hear at least one of the commissioners where I live is a right c***

Anyways

I believe that the powers available to such authorities in the Building Control Act 1991 relate to Dangerous or Ruinous properties and require remediation or demolition if the property owner is unable to remedy or elects not to.

I believe I outlined my thoughts on this on my previous post.

Thanks

ETA - I hope I don't become the Aled Brewerton to your Jackie Weaver

I quite why the Brit isn't being demolished and replaced with some new commercial units and apartments is anyones guess.  Bizarre.

• Like 1

Just now, TerryFuchwit said:

I quite why the Brit isn't being demolished and replaced with some new commercial units and apartments is anyones guess.  Bizarre.

I think it's because the demolition planning request didn't have a replacement involved and was just going to be an empty plot.

That's just supposition though

16 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

It was more than the tiles coming off Bleak House, it was big lumps of facia masonry dropping off the frontage onto the pavement. An absolute liability and a legal and procedural minefield being borne by the ratepayers, probably for years to come?

The problem with listing buildings is that it often seems to be applied very late in the day. Nobody bothers - until a building long past its best is put forward for demolition/redevelopment of some sort. Cue howls from the preservation brigade. Then suddenly it's worth slapping a listing on, regardless of the practicality of preserving it. 

Similarly, those with listing already on them do not have maintenance enforced (H&B being prime offenders with their older pubs), they're simply allowed to go to rack and ruin with no comeback.

Something needs an overhaul in respect of how we administer these orders.

27 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It was more than the tiles coming off Bleak House, it was big lumps of facia masonry dropping off the frontage onto the pavement. An absolute liability and a legal and procedural minefield being borne by the ratepayers, probably for years to come?

Yes the top windows were on the cusp of toppling off I believe, hence why the top floor/roof has a different look compared to its sister building.

The history of how it got into that state is both complex and yet incredibly simple at the same time - a falling out between two parties wrapped up in a management company. 

Ongoing costs to the ratepayer are (or should be minimal) but that doesn't really help when the costs were already incurred 6+ years ago, it's been going on so long I can't remember anymore.

The recovery of the costs is where it all got messy and links back to the reasons for decline. If it had been a standalone house with one owner there could have been a simpler exit plan.

As I said - a perfect example of how the current powers that only come into play as a last resort and don't really produce a satisfactory outcome. Unless you like the juxtaposition of a derelict property and a shiny roof. It's a bit like giving a full valet service to a banger in the stock cars.

55 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I think it's because the demolition planning request didn't have a replacement involved and was just going to be an empty plot.

That's just supposition though

If I was thr brewery I'd look to demolish, rebuild with commercial units at ground floor level, apartments above, with them handed over to commissioners on a 5 or 10 year tenancy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

If I was thr brewery I'd look to demolish, rebuild with commercial units at ground floor level, apartments above, with them handed over to commissioners on a 5 or 10 year tenancy.

Social housing on a tenancy basis doesn't strike me as being terribly practical due to the costs and if the tenancy ceases you would then have to find replacement homes for tenants.

That aside a commercial property on the ground floor and flats upstairs would probably be a solid business model. Whether H&B wish to diversify into that sort of business is another matter.

41 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

The only value in the plot would be if they could buy Bourne Concourse and drop the whole lot down in one go, the trouble with potential commercial/residential units as it currently sits is the lack of parking, it would require underground car parking at planning which would then have access issues.

13 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

The only value in the plot would be if they could buy Bourne Concourse and drop the whole lot down in one go, the trouble with potential commercial/residential units as it currently sits is the lack of parking, it would require underground car parking at planning which would then have access issues.

They'd probably make an argument for the proximity to Plaza and Market Place for parking

Although that is not ideal, especially as Plaza is not guaranteed to be there

6 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

They'd probably make an argument for the proximity to Plaza and Market Place for parking

Although that is not ideal, especially as Plaza is not guaranteed to be there

As much as I can’t see that transport hub going ahead any time soon you just never know. Market place already serves at lot of the businesses there, loading/unloading for businesses is already enough of a struggle for most of Parliament St