The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

42 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's all to do with local authority votes and popularity, rivalry and willy-waving between themselves and central Govt and the odd ego. A heady mix.

I think it looks good. But it’s completely unneeded and, as you say, just a dick waving project so that a few local counselors can pretend that they’re big boys. 

5 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

This could be done more effectively and cheaply from a central Centre. 

No. No. No. You are correct. It COULD be done more effectively and cheaply from the centre. In reality, of course,  it WOULD NOT be. It would involve civil servants who never do anything cheaply and effectively, and who themselves are very expensive indeed while they work for us and after they retire. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2018 at 12:19 PM, paswt said:

S'pose it depends on what the rebuild looks like , if "as is" I wouldn't be bothered .

Heard rumours that something a bit "high tec" ( like at the Sound?) for the 'high end fine dining  clientele' would replace it.:angry:

Take a bow paswt the soothsayer. 

• Like 1

It's interesting that even the Commissioners are aware that the move won't be popular:

The potential to retain the building was investigated. This was done considering the local feeling to the facility being generally very positive, as a popular and well used venue. However following surveys, the building is in a condition that would require considerable investment to retain. The retaining of the building also presents significant challenges to the potential end user in that its current arrangement is not user friendly

So rather than spend money on sympathetic refurbishment (and probably a new toilet block which would cover a lot of the 'not user-friendly' stuff), let's spend many times more on building some enormous new replacement, because we need more cafe space in a village that currently has loads of cafes and restaurants.  It's just the usual Manx public service  desire to have something shiny and new that someone else will pay for.  A bit like a rather less intelligent jackdaw.

The only people who will benefit from this will be the window cleaners who will have clean off the sea spray from those enormous windows three times a day.  Have these people never been in Port Erin?

• Like 3

Ego maniacs the lot of them.

They're complaining that there is a low ceiling in the existing building, well just rip it out, doesn't need the second floor anyway; they say it has a separate toilet block, well just knock that down and build an extension off the main building along the cliff side. You could strip, re-felt and sate the roof in 3 days. They're concerned about access for disabled folks, but you can do all sorts with concrete. It's insane, and anyone with half an idea of building renovations could make an excellent modern facility while retaining much of the existing one without any major difficulty, for about a quarter of whatever this madness will cost.

Still, PE Commissioners can spunk a couple of million on a property which will bring them what, £15000 a year in rent, for the benefit of all. I should just shut up eh? PROGRESS!

• Like 2

Fair comment Teapot, remember that Phil and Sue had to close the premises because they were advised by a structural engineer that the roof was shedding slates and presented a H&S danger to themselves and customers and it would appear that the Commissioners took a cavalier attitude and illegally tried to abdicate their responsibilities as freeholders by failing  to make the premise safe. Eventually they had to effect the repairs but as a result of the delay P&S took the financial  hit. 

The Commissioners did not renew the lease and lost over a years revenue , presumably in the hope that the premises would be vandalised ( like the Marine Station and the Lido) then they would be able to build a monstrosity such as this (IMO) .

Who exactly do they expect to flock to this "high end fine dining establishment open 7 days a week 364 days a year" ? I would venture to suggest that there is no demand.

The rate payers of Port Erin have my sympathy as they will be paying for this white elephant for decades to come if it ever gets built

In the meantime there is some symmetry in that both ends of the prom are derelict.:flowers:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

This is one of the things that really frustrates me about LA’s. It’s like Ramsey and the Courthouse. And wasn’t there another building in Port St Mary?

If they just stuck to emptying the bins, sweeping the streets and cutting the verges we might all not be paying even increasing rates up here. I just don’t get all the other stuff like housing, amenity sites etc being run by them. This could be done more effectively and cheaply from a central Centre. 

Add that lot to my manifesto!

An independent housing association

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone tell me who are the Commissioners of Port Erin? it would be nice to email them and maybe point them to this forum.

Also do we know who the Architect is as it maybe them that are pushing the Commission's in this direction.

I may consider approaching the Captain of the Parish to see if he could call a public meeting with these Commissioners so we can actually question them on this proposal.

2 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Can someone tell me who are the Commissioners of Port Erin? it would be nice to email them and maybe point them to this forum.

Also do we know who the Architect is as it maybe them that are pushing the Commission's in this direction.

I may consider approaching the Captain of the Parish to see if he could call a public meeting with these Commissioners so we can actually question them on this proposal.

The commissioners are these guys http://www.porterin.gov.im/s.nl/sc.13/category.12/ctype.SS/SS.12/.f

and the architects are Ellis Brown http://www.ellisbrown.im/

• Like 1