The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

I think that they would have got permission to demolish and re-develop it years ago.

Must be 10 yrs since I was last in there and they'd have got permission then!!!

However, I agree, Manx fires are good fun gossip???

A house way out there is a good excuse for an SUV!!!

Yes they probably would. Does that not beg the question though; How come they didn't?

23 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the South a tenant required who can offer quality catering and "pay the rent"....

Screenshot_20211225-220826_Chrome.jpg

Is this not where public tender rules are a bit daft?  Is the current tenant not providing a quality offering?  The times I have been, it has been good quality and well run.  Is this put out to public tender just because the lease is up?  You would think that if the rent is being paid and the quality is good an automatic renewal would be offered rather than give this uncertainty to a business, especially  after the last couple of years.

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

I would imagine that a continuance of the current lease would be the order of the day, even if someone offered a significant rent increase, would that be a long term proposal?  Even if a fantastic caterer were given the contract, what do they have to work with? The same reduced turnover that the current leasees face.

Better to seek new interests when economics allow, ie, '22 onwards?

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is this not where public tender rules are a bit daft?  Is the current tenant not providing a quality offering?  The times I have been, it has been good quality and well run.  Is this put out to public tender just because the lease is up?  You would think that if the rent is being paid and the quality is good an automatic renewal would be offered rather than give this uncertainty to a business, especially  after the last couple of years.

Last time I was there in the summer the food was good too......I wondered if the otherwise rather obvious stipulation that the "rent needs to be paid" might imply something about past/present tenants...?

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Last time I was there in the summer the food was good too......I wondered if the otherwise rather obvious stipulation that the "rent needs to be paid" might imply something about past/present tenants...?

Well it may do, but wouldn't you think if everything else was up to scratch there would be some accommodation on rent given the circumstances?  I mean, really, when it was closed during lockdown, could they really offer a viable delivery service? 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Well it may do, but wouldn't you think if everything else was up to scratch there would be some accommodation on rent given the circumstances?  I mean, really, when it was closed during lockdown, could they really offer a viable delivery service? 

They'll be getting screwed for every penny by our caring sharing government!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I would imagine that a continuance of the current lease would be the order of the day, even if someone offered a significant rent increase, would that be a long term proposal?  Even if a fantastic caterer were given the contract, what do they have to work with? The same reduced turnover that the current leasees face.

Better to seek new interests when economics allow, ie, '22 onwards?

Gosh how people moan when public contracts are not put out to tender, but this seems to be a special case. Why?

Gladys yes it is being put up for tender because the current lease is up. The current lessees knew that would be the case

Its only right and proper that any organisation or individual is able to apply for this to provide the best value?

Any tenderer would have to deal with the same reduced turnover and tailor their quote accordingly.

As an aside I have been there on a few occasions. My experiences have been mixed. Overall just this side of acceptable but very expensive .  

Certainly wouldn’t have a problem with someone else being given the opportunity though. Equally wouldn’t have a problem with the present incumbents being granted another lease if those making the decision went for either option

But to steamroller the pre agreed way of doing things is just wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is this put out to public tender just because the lease is up?

Persactimont, how else could it be to attain the best offer for the lease? However, the last few years have shown that there are extrordinary circumstances that can affect the offer of rent, is it reasonable, will they survive the economical circumstances? If it's a 5 yr lease can the new leasee hope to recover the losses of 22 with the , possible, gains of 22 beyond? Are new offers going to include the loss of business in 22. Is it better to wait fot a more settled time,23, to seek reasonable offers ?

It all depends on how closely the Govt want to stick to their procurement processes

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

f everything else was up to scratch there would be some accommodation on rent given the circumstances?

As I've said, a continuance  could be the best way forward but the Govt, and tt's subs are required to find the best offer for income.

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Gosh how people moan when public contracts are not put out to tender, but this seems to be a special case. Why?

Gladys yes it is being put up for tender because the current lease is up. The current lessees knew that would be the case

Its only right and proper that any organisation or individual is able to apply for this to provide the best value?

Any tenderer would have to deal with the same reduced turnover and tailor their quote accordingly.

As an aside I have been there on a few occasions. My experiences have been mixed. Overall just this side of acceptable but very expensive .  

Certainly wouldn’t have a problem with someone else being given the opportunity though. Equally wouldn’t have a problem with the present incumbents being granted another lease if those making the decision went for either option

But to steamroller the pre agreed way of doing things is just wrong.

Yes, but there have been extraordinary circumstances.

It just strikes me as odd that a business which has been doing a good job is then put into a tender process after the last couple of years.  Whereas it seems that other contractors have been given quite some accommodation to deal with the same difficulties.  

I do understand that rules is rules, but it just seems that the rules are flexed for large contractors, the small ones just have to suck it up.  That is probably because the terms of the larger contracts are set by the contractor, whereas the smaller ones are given the "take it or leave it" option.  All down to bargaining power I suppose. 

Just now, Gladys said:

Yes, but there have been extraordinary circumstances.

It just strikes me as odd that a business which has been doing a good job is then put into a tender process after the last couple of years.  Whereas it seems that other contractors have been given quite some accommodation to deal with the same difficulties.  

I do understand that rules is rules, but it just seems that the rules are flexed for large contractors, the small ones just have to suck it up.  That is probably because the terms of the larger contracts are set by the contractor, whereas the smaller ones are given the "take it or leave it" option.  All down to bargaining power I suppose. 

Thanks Gladys 

But you say it has been doing a good job as a result of your experience with the place which I don’t doubt.

But others, as with any other type of this establishment ( and other types) may not feel they have been doing such a good job.

I guess the main criteria for the authority awarding the contract is to maximise their revenue.

The Sound cafe does have a bit of a monopoly in so much as there are no catering outlets near it offering such views 

Nope I’m going to stick to my position that the current incumbents should not automatically have their licence reviewed without consideration of other offers.

To do so I believe would be inherently unfair.

( And have you seen how much they charge for a bowl of soup 😋?)

17 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nope I’m going to stick to my position that the current incumbents should not automatically have their licence reviewed without consideration of other offers.

..but what is their continuance of rent is better than or reasonably close to current  circumstances ,Do you stick to what you know, go with an unknown

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Thanks Gladys 

But you say it has been doing a good job as a result of your experience with the place which I don’t doubt.

But others, as with any other type of this establishment ( and other types) may not feel they have been doing such a good job.

I guess the main criteria for the authority awarding the contract is to maximise their revenue.

The Sound cafe does have a bit of a monopoly in so much as there are no catering outlets near it offering such views 

( And have you seen how much they charge for a bowl of soup 😋?)

If the soup is very good, then that is fine.  (Soup is an underrated dish.)

The Sound is a monopoly, for the very reason you state, but that is not a monopoly of the sort that is disadvantageous to the customer.

I actually am a bit of a fan of rules is rules  - stick to them and everyone knows where they are.  But this just seems to be a bit of jobsworthy adherence. 

Anyway, to be honest,  I wouldn't die in a ditch for this one. It just would be understandable if MNH had announced that the lease would be extended for a further year in recognition of the difficulties of the last couple of years.

But MNH aren't strictly part of government and their revenue is the rent so that is all they can seek to maximise.

It just came across as a masterpiece of pedantry over pragmatism.

• Thanks 1