The Cosy Nook Cafe Port Erin

paswt

22 hours ago, display name said:

They're gonna need a bigger car park.

Also the small road to this proposal, and as you say the car park facilities at present does not support such a large structure/establishment, the structure is not within keeping of the surrounding area and I have to question why such a grand scheme as opposed to a more in keeping facility would be more delicate to such a small seaside establishment.

This is a very large structure and I do question who in the Commissioners are pushing for such a large eyesore or maybe they are playing tactics going for large and later accepting a smaller building.

I also would like to know what the knock on ££ effect for Port Erin Rate Payers??

Anyway they have 9 Commissioners in Port Erin so one of them may come on here and help us out.

• Like 1

It needs completely renovating. If work was done on the existing building then it would likely collapse under the burden of the works. I'd imagine itd be a colossal waste of money trying to end up with a facility which is not fit for purpose! Surely a facility open all year round with inside toilets, disabled access and a kitchen designed and set up for commercial cooking is more favourable for ratepayers? Bet most of the moaners will be visiting as soon as it's done just like the Sound. This is why progression never happens here. Classic crab mentality. 

5 minutes ago, QueenCrabbette said:

This is why progression never happens here. Classic crab mentality. 

I like modern architecture, I really do but the proposal will not be a nice small cosy cafe as we had before.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, QueenCrabbette said:

It needs completely renovating. If work was done on the existing building then it would likely collapse under the burden of the works. I'd imagine itd be a colossal waste of money trying to end up with a facility which is not fit for purpose! Surely a facility open all year round with inside toilets, disabled access and a kitchen designed and set up for commercial cooking is more favourable for ratepayers? Bet most of the moaners will be visiting as soon as it's done just like the Sound. This is why progression never happens here. Classic crab mentality. 

So what you are saying is let the Commissioners do what they want?  Add the odd 'classic crab mentality' into  your reply and that makes it better?

Port Erin residents and indeed anyone has the right to question these type of Grand proposals and you're just saying let them do it, even if it is an eyesore and a blot on the Port Erin Landscape.

Are you possibly a Port Erin Commissioner?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

So what you are saying is let the Commissioners do what they want?  Add the odd 'classic crab mentality' into  your reply and that makes it better?

Port Erin residents and indeed anyone has the right to question these type of Grand proposals and you're just saying let them do it, even if it is an eyesore and a blot on the Port Erin Landscape.

Are you possibly a Port Erin Commissioner?

I believe the Commissioners are your elected representatives voted by you to make decisions like this. Does your political system not operate in this way? 

Not a commissioner no. I dont have the patience for politics. Just an interested ex resident. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Why do the commissioners own this site?

Probably historical?

Maybe it was a ' Cosy Nook Cafe' with a tourist appeal, then the owners retired and there was a risk of losing the facility, so the Comms bought it? Maybe  foreshore and headland land being owned by the Comms anyway/

It will have brought in some rental income to the Comms, though maybe, peppercorn sometimes!!!

I quite like the design, except perhaps, for that litttle pillbox on the top? What is that? Managers accommodation? Private dining room? Just another layer to round out the  conical design? Could easily be dropped from the final design?

Parking and access is going to be the problem, modern requirements are not illustrated in the proposal.

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Still, PE Commissioners can spunk a couple of million on a property which will bring them what, £15000 a year in rent, for the benefit of all. I should just shut up eh? PROGRESS!

With a 2 million build cost they should be looking for a rent of some 25-30 k rent given that it willl have alife of  some 20 years.

.......but, what will they lose on the Bradda Head rent??????

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Now there’s a takeover bid

Ellis Brown to govern the Island, Yeah!!1!!

The PE/ Rushen debacle is a justification for LA. conglomeration but I can't see the PE voters saying no to their representatives progressing of this proposal? It just can be justified as the 'way to go'?

\i don't disagree with the idea of a modern catering outlet in this position but seriously, '' Fine Dining'', as someone suggested, in this positin, in PE, get real.

Daytime, will be toasted tea cakes 2.00 for the morning, lunch will be typical 'Pub Grub', sandwiches, burgers and evenings, if different fro the lunch menu? will be chicken breasts with bottled sauces!!!

The days of the chips with everything are gone, you wont get Egg n Chips today, or if you are lucky enough to do so, it will be cheap frozen chips that are not worth having!"!!

Edited by Kopek

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Ego maniacs the lot of them.

They're complaining that there is a low ceiling in the existing building, well just rip it out, doesn't need the second floor anyway; they say it has a separate toilet block, well just knock that down and build an extension off the main building along the cliff side. You could strip, re-felt and sate the roof in 3 days. They're concerned about access for disabled folks, but you can do all sorts with concrete. It's insane, and anyone with half an idea of building renovations could make an excellent modern facility while retaining much of the existing one without any major difficulty, for about a quarter of whatever this madness will cost.

Still, PE Commissioners can spunk a couple of million on a property which will bring them what, £15000 a year in rent, for the benefit of all. I should just shut up eh? PROGRESS!

Spot on. And the result won't be half as pleasing to the eye. You should send them something along these lines by registered mail and note that you are sending a copy to every ratepayer. Total bollox of an idea.

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Spot on. And the result won't be half as pleasing to the eye. You should send them something along these lines by registered mail and note that you are sending a copy to every ratepayer. Total bollox of an idea.

I'm not a highly paid architect, just a standard grunt, they wouldn't listen to me.

• Like 1